Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Church Street Shopping Area

Libertarian

Default Church Street Shopping Area

I know I am the Victor Meldrew of this site but living in this city makes you like that.

How long is it taking to resurface Church Street?

This started months ago and has got to be driving shoppers to the Trafford Centre.

I wouldn't mind but every time I walk down there it seems no one is working on it.

Blog Entries

Its taking ages, I went into town this evening and the place is awful, plus the closing down of HMV.....Its almost like they are making it up as they go along....and I'm sure there's a piece of xmas lighting still up
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Speke Retails better.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

MarkA

What caused the differences in the height of the pavement that the middle section needed to be tarmaced?

Apparently they stopped working on it during the Christmas rush.But it seems as though they're having a two month holiday.

And 86 tea breaks every hour.

What annoys me is what happened to the original paving. Every time sewers or gas mains had to be repaired using open-cut methods, the block paving was taken up and replaced with quick, lazy tarmac. Is this going to happen again? I mean, within 12 months will the new work be patched with tarmac all over the place?

It is taking an age, and I'm not sure what the raised hump is about...

[QUOTE=Suburban;38306]I know I am the Victor Meldrew of this site but living in this city makes you like that.

don't worry .. I'm a cross between Mrs Meldrew and Mrs Bouquet

... also brought on by living in this city .. or more to the point - this country !

( I am very Scouseproud underneath it all tho' )

PhilipG

Default Church Street.

7 Feb 07.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church_St_07-02-07_a.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	1377   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Church_St_07-02-07_b.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	1378  

Default Its already started!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    And 86 tea breaks every hour.

What annoys me is what happened to the original paving. Every time sewers or gas mains had to be repaired using open-cut methods, the block paving was taken up and replaced with quick, lazy tarmac. Is this going to happen again? I mean, within 12 months will the new work be patched with tarmac all over the place?

It is taking an age, and I'm not sure what the raised hump is about...
    there are several bits where this replacement of the cobbles with lump of tarmac or puttng the cobbles back crappily, I was so peeded of took some photos emailed them to some people in the council and was reliably informed that Enterprise, (run by the only officer to sell his soul to the Devil-David McElhinney)
    were contracted to reinstate the pavements with 30 days, the last time I looked the job still hadnt been done, that was jsut under a year ago......I'm gona check see if they stil ahvent been done and get emailing again, I even emailed Warren "Phil Cool" Bradley, give him his due he did reply but if he cant get it done then no one can. It'll be interesting to see how quickly the pavements in the Grosvenor scheme get laid, and repaired, no tarmac there methinks, m'lorship wouldn't like it

Default Primark Liverpool

I might give Liverpool city centre a miss on the 12th. I thought it would be bad enough with just people going mad at Primark opening - not protesting outside it too!

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...4375-19756441/

Never thought i'd be alive when Primark actually managed to open that place.

There's a Primark just 15 minutes away in Birkenhead, with even better parking facilities than here in Liverpool. So why the excitement? It seems to me that 'bargain shopping' is the new religion.
    Can't blame the protestors though. I hope there's some consistency here and that among them are those who supported the slavery museum at the other end of the street.
    As I have wryly asked before, I wonder how many of those whose hearts bleed for African (not other kinds) of slaves over 200 years ago, fill their homes and dress in clothes manufactured under conditions worse than those experienced on many a plantation.
    War is the terrorism of the rich... Terrorism is the war of the poor. - Peter Ustinov

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iHDsO9ue0Nw

Primark staff should be trained In this ability.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

a report claimed workers are paid as little as 13p per hour and forced to work excessive shifts and overtime periods at factories producing Primark goods in countries such as Bangladesh
    Can you imagine what would happen if we stopped exploiting the developing world to provide us with cheap goods - the resulting pressure on wages and profits. OMG modern western capitalism would collapse!

Countdown to Primark opening
    Sep 11 2007
    by Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Echo

WELCOME to Liverpool’s first Primark store.

These exclusive preview pictures ahead of tomorrow’s opening show the results of the massive conversion from Littlewoods’ former flagship Church Street store to the highly successful Primark brand.

Primark parent company Associated British Foods bought 120 Littlewoods high street stores in 2005 and retained about 40 for conversion.

Last year the group also bought the adjacent Open retail store to enlarge the Littlewoods site which delayed the original planned opening from October 2006. Work was also hampered by a fire on the third floor during building work in April.

The new store, which has been refurbished to Primark’s latest format, now employs 901 staff working over five floors.

The new store has joined the 500-strong Business Improvement District (BID) which spearheads initiatives among city centre businesses.

BID chief executive Rita Waters said: “We’re extremely pleased to welcome Primark to the city”

Source: Liverpool Echo

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast