Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Murders of Lock Ah Tam and Jaw Kay

Default The Murders of Lock Ah Tam and Jaw Kay

(Don't know if the above is the correct spelling.) I have often heard the storey of the murder, in the Scotland Road area, of the Chinese laundry man Ah Thi. I think it happened in the first or second decade of the twentieth century. I would be grateful if anyone could enlarge on the storey.

Help find Madeleine

Hi Sloyne

This sounds like something that author Richard Whittington-Egan might have written about. Possibly our friend MissInformed can confirm. . .

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Sloyne

This sounds like something that author Richard Whittington-Egan might have written about. Possibly our friend MissInformed can confirm. . .

Chris
    hi sloyne and chris

I don't think I have heard of this particular murder. And I don't think Mr Whittington Egan has ever written about it, since I have all of his Liverpool books and it isn't in any of them.
    I have heard of a similar murder in America (I think). A locked room murder.
    But, I can't think of anything similar in Liverpool.
    Will have a little scout around online and see if I can come up with anything folks...

Carrie
    Last edited by MissInformed; 02-04-2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo

MissInformed

are you sure you don't mean Lock Ah Tam?

http://www.real-crime.co.uk/Murder1/...ock%20Ah%20Tam

There is a whole section about him in a Whittington Egan book.

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post

No, its a different one to Lock Ah Tam. Sloyne may be referring to the case of Jaw Kay, a laundry man whose body was found in his flat in Scotland Road on the same night as the Hanging Boy case. He appeared to have been stabbed several times and the motive was robbery. The murderer was never found. Sorry I cant provide any additional source information.

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post

Possibly, It was a long time ago that I heard the story. Thanks for the effort.
    Help find Madeleine

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    No, its a different one to Lock Ah Tam. Sloyne may be referring to the case of Jaw Kay, a laundry man whose body was found in his flat in Scotland Road on the same night as the Hanging Boy case. He appeared to have been stabbed several times and the motive was robbery. The murderer was never found. Sorry I cant provide any additional source information.
    oh wow, I have never heard of that one, and fancy it happening on the same night as the hanging boy case.

I know you seem to have established that it's a different case to the Lock Ah Tham one but as a matter of interest the Lock Ah Tham one is on the Vincent Burke Liverpool murders DVD.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I know you seem to have established that it's a different case to the Lock Ah Tham one but as a matter of interest the Lock Ah Tham one is on the Vincent Burke Liverpool murders DVD.
    where can you get that ged?

BBC Radio Merseyside, in Hannover Street. He used to have a Monday slot 1.45 until 2pm but has been moved to an evening slot somewhere now I think. A local murder historian, there are 4 or 5 murders covered on the dvd I have. He has a great voice and grasp of ye olde way with words for the occassion.

BBC Radio Merseyside, in Hannover Street. He used to have a Monday slot 1.45 until 2pm but has been moved to an evening slot somewhere now I think. A local murder historian, there are 4 or 5 murders covered on the dvd I have. He has a great voice and grasp of ye olde way with words for the occassion.

He's great Vincent Burke, I used to love watching him when he had a slot on the long gone Channel One.

BBC Radio Merseyside, in Hannover Street.
    Thanks Ged.
    Help find Madeleine

Default Loch Ah Tam

My father makes a reference to the night before Loch Ah Tam was hung in his book, A.J. A Liverpool Childhood 1916-1934

Found this in a Murder Case Book

Liverpool, being a major port and entry point into the U. K. had a large Chinese community. Lock Ah Tam, at 54, had been a successful and well respected man who ran the European branch of Jack Ah Tai organisation for Chinese dock workers, the Chinese Progress Club and was superintendent of Chinese sailors for three steamship companies in Liverpool. He was married with three children and had a reputation as a peacemaker, being able to sort out conflicts between dockers. However in February 1918 while having a drink in the his club he was attacked and hit over the head by a group of drunken Russian sailors. This blow to the head, although not at the time serious enough to warrant hospital treatment, was to alter Tam's personality completely - he began to drink heavily and have violent mood swings. His life deteriorated rapidly until on the night of the 2nd of December 1925 he shot dead his wife and his two daughters at their home, after a party. After the killings he rang the police and told them to come and arrest him. He came to trial at Chester Assizes in February 1926 and was defended by Britain's foremost counsel, Sir Edward Marshall Hall. The defence was one of insanity due to automatism caused by an epileptic seizure brought on by the blow to the head seven years earlier. This failed, as it could be shown that Tam did know what he had done and that it was wrong, because he had telephoned the police immediately afterwards. The jury returned a guilty verdict after 12 minutes of deliberation and tears were seen running down the face of Mr. Justice McKinnon as he sentenced Tam to die. He was duly executed by William Willis on the morning of Tuesday 23rd of March 1926.

Hope this helps

Found this on Jaw Kay

The following antecedent history is extracted from a police report contained within the murder
    file:
    The murdered man Jaw Kay is 56 years of age, born in Kai-hing, Canton, China, on
    30/8/1889. He is a single man and he arrived in the United Kingdom in August 1913. His
    Aliens Registration Book No. 764832 was issued at Liverpool on 6/11/39 and he is the holder
    of a Chinese Legation Certificate No.1187, issued at London on 28/12/15. His National
    Registration Identity No. is N.H.G.J. 5/1. From the year 1929 until his death the deceased
    carried on business as a launderer at 44, Scotland Road, where he also resided, except for a
    period of five months in 1936 when he went to Blackpool.
    From 1931 until 1936 Jaw Kay co-habited with a Liverpool woman named ********* .......
    During her co-habitation with Jaw Kay she bore him two children,

Just my six penneth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast