Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Street, 1964

Blog Entries

Hi Waterways - the information regarding the failure of Brodie's pre-cast system came from Quentin Hughes's research. I cannot comment on his sources - because I don't have them. As far as the info goes - there was only one other example built - a cottage ordered by Letchworth. Clearly some more research is called for as to what happened. It could have been equally true that builders as well as unions disliked the system as it threatened their livlihoods as well. I can quite imagine a few well-placed builders/developers having a word in councillors' ears telling them to have the idea dropped.

Blog Entries

Going east down towards the East Lancs Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Rhoobarb, it is just by the Flyover (on the side going down Queens Drive across from the Church). Not easy to spot - it is behind railings - and it is not particularly impressive (more like a garage block).
    Ah right. I thought it might have been this one.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf...cbp=12,90,,0,5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Waterways - the information regarding the failure of Brodie's pre-cast system came from Quentin Hughes's research. I cannot comment on his sources - because I don't have them. As far as the info goes - there was only one other example built - a cottage ordered by Letchworth. Clearly some more research is called for as to what happened. It could have been equally true that builders as well as unions disliked the system as it threatened their livlihoods as well. I can quite imagine a few well-placed builders/developers having a word in councillors' ears telling them to have the idea dropped.
    I think it would come more from builders than unions. UK builders are known for their backwardness. The House Builders Federation influences the building regulations so heavily in order to maintain the status quo that the UK is backwards in house building technology compared to large parts of Western Europe, Scandinavia and North America. The House Builders Federation opposes any increase in building regulations that they perceive will eat into their members vast profits. They opposed all increases in insulation standards and in 1990 described the proposed insulation increase as “a cosmetic exercise”.

The unions would see more homes being built quicker, increasing employment. Even in the early 1900s, Liverpool was full of crumbling slums. The need was there clearly there to be seen.

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Building Eldon Street Tenements [Pictures from plans to completion]

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...-to-completion
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks Kev.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cracking photos those thanks.

George

later the corpy yard.
    I had a pic of the copy yard...but you got upset me posting these fom other sites.

I lived in a concrete house exactly like the Letchworth types in Welwyn Garden City in the early eighties. They were built between 1919-1922ish and were very comfortable and spacious. They are still standing now and selling for over £250,000 for a 2 bed! Given that Liverpool erected prefabs to house bombed out families, why didn't they go for the more permanent solution? Perhaps there were too many business interests at stake. I agree with Colin though_builders are reluctant to move from the traditional methods whereas in Europe and the USA, they can have a house up and ready externally in a couple of weeks with prefabricated systems. BTW, does anyone remember the so called 'Swedish ' houses somewhere near Deysbrook Lane way? They were prefabricated 2 storey houses donated by Sweden after the war I believe. Supposed to be up for 10 yrs or so and were still standing when I left Liverpool in 1972
    I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . .
    ~~ Dylan Thomas, poet, d. 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Comfortablynumb View Post
    I lived in a concrete house exactly like the Letchworth types in Welwyn Garden City in the early eighties. They were built between 1919-1922ish and were very comfortable and spacious. They are still standing now and selling for over £250,000 for a 2 bed! Given that Liverpool erected prefabs to house bombed out families, why didn't they go for the more permanent solution? Perhaps there were too many business interests at stake. I agree with Colin though_builders are reluctant to move from the traditional methods whereas in Europe and the USA, they can have a house up and ready externally in a couple of weeks with prefabricated systems. BTW, does anyone remember the so called 'Swedish ' houses somewhere near Deysbrook Lane way? They were prefabricated 2 storey houses donated by Sweden after the war I believe. Supposed to be up for 10 yrs or so and were still standing when I left Liverpool in 1972
    Do you mean these one's?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...289.63,,0,4.72

George

Wasn't the lower half of those prefabs corrugated asbestos sheeting?

Sorry,top half was corrugated asbestos sheeting and lower half concrtet blocks...with tin roofs.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. If they are still up then surely that proves they're not a bad solution to the cheap housing problem? Princess Dr looks a lot posher than when I remember it -is the Eagle and Child still standing and the Bluebell on Huyton Lane?
    I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . .
    ~~ Dylan Thomas, poet, d. 1953

George

Nah,The Eagle and child became a rough house and ended its days being raised to the ground,even the Bow & Arrow seen its demise as a pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfortablynumb View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. If they are still up then surely that proves they're not a bad solution to the cheap housing problem? Princess Dr looks a lot posher than when I remember it -is the Eagle and Child still standing and the Bluebell on Huyton Lane?
    The Bluebell was knocked down about 3 years ago.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I had a pic of the copy yard...but you got upset me posting these fom other sites.
    I didn't, I said they should be requested and if accepted, credited, acknowledged and linked back to the site.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast