Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walton 70's & 80's

Yep remember the money shoots now, and green shield stamps. Weird how all the big stores had little branches like Tesco on Rice Lane and Walton Vale plus Littlewoods on Rice Lane, then they all closed but now we have tesco express' springing up again.

Don't remember Oxo the bloke thankfully!!

Somebody must remember Abby from the corner shop on Cedardale Road around the corner from the oxo. Thought if anyone remembered anything it would be him. Used to be a hairdressers next door with those over head hairdryer things!

Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post
    Went round Orrell Pk a few weeks back and park looked nice then do maybe they've not long re-done it.
    They did it up a good few years back. Kept getting trashed by kids though.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
    They did it up a good few years back. Kept getting trashed by kids though.
    It's a shame how these little gardens get ruined by vandals. Larkhill gardens is the same - it could be a lovely little park but is ruined by vandalism and teenagers drinking in there.

I can remember one summer they brought goal posts in to improve their footy game.

The police upped patrols and stopped it for a while, but it still get trashed now and again.

They're not even from round here. The police said they get the train in from other areas. How they got the goal posts on a train baffled me though.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

I've only just joined this site and seen all the memories people have of where I grew up. One of my earliest memories is of The Stores on Cedardale Rd. I can remember going in especially to buy sweets when we went decimal! It was run by an english family then but then Tony an Arabian guy took over. He was there for a couple of years until Abby arrived. I think he died around 4 or 5 years ago. I used to love going into May and Ken's shop by the Rec-think it must have been the smallest retailers in the world!! Does anyone remember Stan the bin man who lived in Ashdale Rd? He was slightly eccentric but I was petrified of him when I was a kid!
    I have tons of memories from my childhood so here's a quick few which I hope others will remember with the same fond thoughts that I have- Jacob's tunnel (scary), Seven Sisters and the railway track by the park which was still occasionally used in the 70's, Mimo's, tennis courts on the rec, May Queen every year in the church hall, iddle iddle idle house in our road (Crescent), Freddy Fells (greengrocer), The Lamplight (clothes shop), The El Toro. I could go on and on !!!!

Only remember Abby from Cedardale Stores but remember him fondly. Remember a shop by the Rec called Youngs which was tiny and used to sell home made ice lies for I think 1p !!

Remember the odd freight train on the Seven Sisters and Jacobs tunnel. Lamplight rings a bell, can remember the signage but that's about it. There was a hairdressers next to Abby's that used to have those dome hairdryers. There was a shop by the Queen Anne called Nimmo's (later owned by Teers) if that is Mimmo's?

Idle House??? Guessing you may mean the Robert's house? Similar one on Stalmine. Also remember the tennis courts on the Rec and the school. The Cabin shop opposite what was then Preston Road Station.

Remember Charlie's chippy? Throttles Nest? Soap Works? Not sure about Stan, kind of sounds familiar but no idea why!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Oh and a little television shop that was kind of opposite the Queen Anne just before the alleyway to the new flats behind the library. That's a really old memory, think it had a Pye logo on it.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Ha, Cedardale Rd. My sister lived there until she was broken into.
    I remember going the The stores on the corner. It was always open. Even back then on Christmas day.
    Seven sisters...I am still looking for photo's of this place.
    Jacobs tunnel I often pass or walk down.
    Great memories folks.

Ha ha, all these years I thought it was called Mimmo's!!!
    My nan and grandad lived in Cedardale Rd, we always went in by the back-that was the days when entries were spotless! My Aunty lived almost opposite them, next door to the Baines. They had a son and daughter called Nigel and Lesley.
    When I was 11 or 12 I used to hang around the phone box on the corner of Fazakerley Rd by the church hall with a few mates. Kids I remember from back then include Dave Tremarco, Kenny Barlow, Ian Brough, Ann Whych and Nadia Kirby. I also remember Reggie Zulch from Firdale, Steven Guy from Stalmine and Lee Coleman from Ashdale-think those 3 used to knock around together.
    I remember the tv shop at the bottom of Fazak, Joyce Ledson from our road used to work in the little office above it. Talking of Nimmo's (!), do you remember the fruit and veg shop next door-think the woman was called Mavis? And also the chandlers shop on the end of that block? There was a launderette on the main rd as well, Mary Kervin from Stalmine worked there for years.
    It's funny how many things stick in your mind!!

Ps read recently that the Seven Sisters were formed from bomb craters
    Last edited by caroled; 05-25-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add on

For all I know it could have been called Mimmo's and we've been calling in Nimmo's for years! Yep, remember the chandlers and the fruit and veg shop, seem to remember them selling a few other bits too but don't recall their names. Just about remember the launderette and the little Tesco plus Openshaw's of course. Never realised Joyce L worked in the telly shop! Never ever remember the swimming baths on the Rec being open, or the Atlas cinema ever being open so I guess they closed in the 60's maybe.

Don't recognise a few of those names but some I did do know. I was more in the era of Darren Kirby so a lot of my fond memories are from when I was really small before the shops started to close down and stuff. Think a few people who've been there since the 50's or whatever are still around but a lot have also moved away etc. What was the idle house?

The idle house was about 3 houses past the Ledson's. I think two brothers lived there with about ten dogs! The swimming baths on the rec were derelict when I was young too and I remember finding a way into the Atlas with a couple of kids (Michael Donovan was one of them-he was a tough lad!) and exploring-this was in the days before Health & Safety was invented! Do you remember the Ribble bus stop being right outside it? Also, the little cut through to Walton Hall park was there and on one of the walls there was a big King Billy mural.
    I remember Darren too, he was about 3 years younger than Nadia I think. They lived next door to the Underwoods, there were 4 kids I think in that family and next door to them were the Wrights. All their kids were girls and they had religious names.
    I lived in Crescent Rd for over 30 years but have a drive down every now and then to have look. The oxo is shocking now!!

Yep, remember the Ribble bus station and the Throtle's Nest alleyway down the back of the Atlas that led to a cobbled street of terraced houses and the tunnel to the park. Remember the mural but only that there was one, don't remember it exactly.

Think the Wright girls were called Mary, Carmel and something else! John and Paula Underwood I think maybe? (pm me if you want to go into more names and stuff, probably shouldn't go into too much detail in a public forum). I remember when the oxo had benches and flower beds!!

I've not lived around there for about 20 years but still have mates and family around there so go back now and then.

Just found this thread (really should be doing some work) We lived in Yew Tree Road from 1974-1980 had three of the children there. Lots of memories! Freddie Fells the greengrocer - did a lot of shopping in the Co-Op also in the Kwick Save at the Vale (before that it was British Home Stores) Took the kids to a Playgroup at St Nathaniels church, they were Baptised at Brook Road Methodist Church (it OAP's housing now). We went to the library. I used the lauderette on Rice Lane before we had a washing machine (no mean fete when you have 2 children and a husband!!) The name of the primary school that the eldest two went to eludes me at the moment but it was burnt down and rebuild just before my eldest went to nursery there. We were there at the begining of the community centre and the city farm. I could go on and on..............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12