Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cousins Cake Shop

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prefrab View Post
    Don't forget custart tarts and slices, ring and jam doughnuts, iced fingers, and angel cake
    Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    and gingerbread men and lemon meringue pies... oh and the little triffles in the white flimsy plastic tubs
    I love it. I think I should open my own bakery.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Wasn't there a Cuusins at the bottom of Bold Street and to the left? Had little shepherds pies and pasties
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    and gingerbread men and lemon meringue pies... oh and the little triffles in the white flimsy plastic tubs
    I forgot about the Trifles, the best bit was licking the tub clean at the end (when no one was looking )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prefrab View Post
    I forgot about the Trifles, the best bit was licking the tub clean at the end (when no one was looking )
    There's nothing wrong with a bit of illicit pilfering when the cook/ baker's turned the other way. All the more sweeter. Yum!

Don't listen kids - do as I say, not as I do.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

The thought of cakes reminds me of Coopers, or the old Mace stores etc that had square silver tins of biscuits at the front of the counter, in the days when they were bought by weight not in packets. If I went shopping with my mum I could guarantee that the shop assistant would tell me to take a biscuit for being "a good boy and helping your mum shopping " I used to go for custard creams I felt I was getting two for the price of one.And as for Coopers the smell of coffee and the big I think green coffee grinder on the counter

Satterwaites.
    Their pork pies are the best around.Two of them,hot, with a cup of tea,I'm like a pig in sh1t.

My mum used to say a similar thing, without the smelly farm animal reference

Blog Entries

Garston was fairly well off for cake shops;St Mary's Road had three of them that I remember,Lefebre & Martins was near the bottom,on a Monday they sold a cake that was made out of the unsold cakes from the previous week. They were mashed up and soaked in a thick syrup and were left to set over the weekend. They were fabulous,multicoloured and killer on your teeth. Blackledges were just a few doors up on the opposite side,they did lovely tarts and cream cones and there was Hales , they did cracking meat pies, I'm salivating just thinking of them. I have been down in the midlands for nearly forty two years and I still miss my Liverpool bakery's, they know how to make pies with "Man Appeal". Birmingham failed to get the European City of Culture title because they only have ****ty pies ,Pukka,should be called Puker. You people who are resident in the 'Pool should get down on your knees and give thanks to the Great Pieman in the sky for being so blessed with your wonderful bakeries,
    BrianDi

I came from Garston like Brian but was born and brought up "under the bridge". I can remember two cake shops in Window Lane, Hales who sold scrummy custard slices and a small cake and pie shop I can't remember the name. they did their baking in the shop - I can still smell the pies which were to die for! they also sold iced squares -they were sponge cake covered icing mmmmm. I worked in an opticians at the top of Bold Street and there was a Cousins shop at the very top on the corner. I got my wedding cake from there in 1973 it cost me £7.50! I can remember going into Cousins at lunch time for filled baps that they make while you were waiting - cheese and onion mmmmm!

I remember Cousins in Belle Vale, loved their Fairy Cakes and Custards and the orange juice was lovely too! I must have been about 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Smith View Post
    I came from Garston like Brian but was born and brought up "under the bridge". I can remember two cake shops in Window Lane, Hales who sold scrummy custard slices and a small cake and pie shop I can't remember the name. they did their baking in the shop - I can still smell the pies which were to die for! they also sold iced squares -they were sponge cake covered icing mmmmm. I worked in an opticians at the top of Bold Street and there was a Cousins shop at the very top on the corner. I got my wedding cake from there in 1973 it cost me £7.50! I can remember going into Cousins at lunch time for filled baps that they make while you were waiting - cheese and onion mmmmm!
    My nan used to work in the Cousins on Bold St in 70's and early 80's. Could have sold you the wedding cake! Don't suppose anybody has a photo of the store or the logo that was still on the wall up until a few years ago???

Going slightly off topic I guess but was sad to see the closure of Sayers on Tithebarn Street recently. Walking in there a few months back it was like stepping back in time as I don't think the cafe section had been refitted since the 70's. Reminded me of my childhood and in a strange way it made a refreshing change from the typical environment of Starbucks and the like. The old Reece's sign was visible for a day or so after they started stripping it to.

They also closed one of the two sayers shops in Bootle strand, but reopened it as a "pound bakery". I guess there will be a few more of them opening up around the city this year

The ones in Maghull and Ormskirk have become Pound Bakeries too.

..............and Old Swan. The quality has gone down though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast