Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cousins Cake Shop

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    I posted a photo of the doorway of one that is now a sayers in Hunts Cross. Didn't know what it was, so asked here. Couldn't tell u where that thread is now though
    yeah, there is a thread somewhere. I remember mentioning the other cake shop - Cubbins .. belonged to Mormons as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Sorry. Did you think I meant you
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    I agree , Sayers should be outlawed . I remember Mitchells , they made gravy pies , it was in Anfield and the ques would be around the corner .
    Yes, Mitchells was well known in the area and very popular. It's still there I think. Must look next time I pass.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    yeah, there is a thread somewhere. I remember mentioning the other cake shop - Cubbins .. belonged to Mormons as far as I know.
    Oh bladdy hell, I mustv'e.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Sorry. Did you think I meant you
    Yis !

Cousins Bakery was in Woodend Avenue Speke, and closed in either 1981 or 1982, the shops were taken over and run as Hagenbachs cake shops.

there was a Cousins on park road near high park st never heard of satterwaites or hagenbachs

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Aren't Satterwaites still in crosby ?
    Sattertwaits Bakery used to be on Coronation Rd opposite the park on the corner of York Avenue. The had a retail shop next door and also in Moor Lane and College Rd. Great pork pies and Coffee Gateau I remember. They had a fleet of ancient electric floats which woud deliver their cakes to the retail outlets. Mr Sattertwaite (who lived until he wa in his 90's) lived in the house next door at No 1 York Avenue until the late 1970's. He used to be chauffered around Crosby in a Farina bodied Van dan Plas 4R (the one with the Rolls Royce engine). I lived a few door away from there until the early 80's.
    Somebosy mentioned the Cousins Corner near North John St which was a great place to meet people in town. Does anybody remember the Mariners ( with the brass bins) and next door was the Cousins Corner which had a coffee shop upstairs from it which called something like the sea jade rooms ?

Hagenbachs were originally a Yorkshire bakers,, who were bought by Allied Bakers and kept the name, they took over a number of the old Cousins shops, one I remember was in Belle Vale Shopping Centre its now a Sayers cafe. I worked in the shopping centre in the 80's and the staff reckoned the shop was haunted, as the flour barrels and other items used in the in house bakery were disturbed on a regular basis during the night. Not sure when Hagenbachs bit the dust, think it was around 1993

Quote Originally Posted by essexscouse View Post
    there was a Cousins on park road near high park st never heard of satterwaites or hagenbachs
    Mum used to buy blackcurrent tarts there every Saturday ...yummmmmmy

There was also a lovely cake shop caled Downes (spelling ?) on Mill Street that did the yummiest pineapple cakes, pineapple on the bottom of the pasty case then cream (hard cream) then a layer of icing on the top so they were flat with the case !!, I loved them..

Blog Entries

This is a tasty thread. I only come on here to read the menu: "Blackcurrent & Strawberry tarts, rum truffles, pineapple cakes and homemade brown bread." Hmmmm!
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    This is a tasty thread. I only come on here to read the menu: "Blackcurrent & Strawberry tarts, rum truffles, pineapple cakes and homemade brown bread." Hmmmm!
    Don't forget custart tarts and slices, ring and jam doughnuts, iced fingers, and angel cake

and gingerbread men and lemon meringue pies... oh and the little triffles in the white flimsy plastic tubs

Weren't Cousins taken over by Hagenbachs (I think that's how you spell it!)? There was one in Prescot Road, Fairfield.
    ...And Cubbins meat pies - the little round ones with loads of jelly in 'em.... delicious! I'm starving!
    Never put anyone on a pedestal... THEY'LL LOOK DOWN ON YOU!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast