Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescot

Default Prescot

Just a little bit of Prescot history, Which some of you may find interesting.

Prescot is one of the oldest towns in Merseyside and it is believed that an early Christian church was established here in the 7th century. In medieval times Prescot was a thriving market town and the ecclesiastical centre of a large parish covering much of south west Lancashire.

The 18th century brought considerable changes to Prescot and the continued growth in a number of craft industries created one of the earliest centres of the Industrial Revolution. These craft industries were concentrated around watch making, tool making and the potteries, resulting in Prescot’s increased prosperity. The town also had close links with Liverpool’s expanding overseas trade and as a result became an important coaching centre on the Lancashire Turnpike System. As the old trades disappeared other industries replaced them and during the 20th century BICC was a big local employer, utilising the highly skilled watch making workforce. Prescot once had an unusual tradition known as the Perrying Ceremony. It involved the officers of the Court Leet throwing heated pennies from the windows of the Town Hall into the market place below. People would then scramble to pick them up.

Blog Entries

Prescott was a world leader in timepiece making and design - well before Switzerland knew what a cuckoo clock was.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

It certainly was. I lived in a watchmakers house at one time in Prescot. But he had long since gone.

I worked up there for a few years. Nice place.

Good War memorial for Prescot online here http://www.prescot-rollofhonour.info/

Its ran by Steve. Well worth a read.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Blog Entries

Nice one Linda. Where's Prescot...

Prescot Museum. Been there today, with wife & two youngest grandchildren. There were very interested in the layout and history at this lovely museum, listing what the area had in days gone by. The receptionist was very helpful with knowledge. The unfortunate part of Prescot is that it has lost a lot of it's wonderful olde worlde character, by opening a big retail park.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smudger95 View Post
    Prescot Museum. Been there today, with wife & two youngest grandchildren. There were very interested in the layout and history at this lovely museum, listing what the area had in days gone by. The receptionist was very helpful with knowledge. The unfortunate part of Prescot is that it has lost a lot of it's wonderful olde worlde character, by opening a big retail park.
    A retail park, you say?

And there was me thinking Blackburn had all the holes in Lancashire.

Also noted for File (metal rasp) manufacturing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oddsocks View Post
    Also noted for File (metal rasp) manufacturing.
    Is that recent Oddsocks? I've never heard of that.

Yes Pablo, it was as recent as 1970 (mediaeval times to some). Here's a block of text from HERE

Watchmaking in Prescot
    Prescot was well established as a centre of watchmaking by the 18th century, and
    during the following hundred years, would become world famous for the quality of its
    produce. Famous watchmakers such as John Wyke started their businesses at
    Prescot, and by the beginning of the Victorian age in 1837, watchmaking was thriving
    in Prescot. This happened for a number of reasons. The area was already well
    known for its tools, especially files, and metal working. Very high quality tools and
    metal were required by the watchmakers so it was natural that the industries should
    be set up along side each other.
    Another important factor was the close proximity of
    Prescot to Liverpool, which by 1837 was a major commercial port. This enabled the
    watchmakers to supply the demand for watches in other countries, especially
    America.

Blog Entries

Well I never knew that. I'd heard aboout the watch and clock making, but I thought the only other thing Prescot made was cables. Hence the Cables Retail Park in town.

What really annoys me, as you have read. Prescot was known for clock and watchmaking. A few years ago , a new shopping mall called Inshops was developed, it was really good at the time for Prescot. In the centre of the ceiling was a lovely very large clock, which used to play a tune on the hour and these little figures used to come out from the 4 faces of the clock. It was quite unusual, and my kids used to love waiting to watch this happen. Then all of a sudden, either the clock broke or something, but it disappeared. So much for Prescot and its speciality of clock and watches. The council or whoever couldnt even maintain or keep that going.!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindac8941 View Post
    What really annoys me, as you have read. Prescot was known for clock and watchmaking. A few years ago , a new shopping mall called Inshops was developed, it was really good at the time for Prescot. In the centre of the ceiling was a lovely very large clock, which used to play a tune on the hour and these little figures used to come out from the 4 faces of the clock. It was quite unusual, and my kids used to love waiting to watch this happen. Then all of a sudden, either the clock broke or something, but it disappeared. So much for Prescot and its speciality of clock and watches. The council or whoever couldnt even maintain or keep that going.!
    Odd this. No news via Google on this either.

Blog Entries

Never heard of that neither Linda.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread. Just a piece of additional info.

Here's a Needle File of the type that was made in Prescot. This particular one was manufactured by a small factory in Pottery Fields, amid streets of terraced houses.
    The size is ideal for working with small items.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Needle file resized.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	15828  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast