Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crawfords, Binns Road

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Excellent photos - they show an entirely different world. The private railway looks quite something - I wonder if it linked up with the Edge Hill sidings/grid-iron where the tech park now stands?

I'll take a picture tomorrow from our building in the Tech park, you can see 1/2 way down this tunnel that links up from where you mention!

MarkA

Unfortunately I'm too low on the 2nd floor overlooking Total Fitness to get a decent picture of the disused tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    The railway runs right along side UB (Crawford's as it was) and is only separated by Crawford Way. There's a tunnel that branches off towards town and a disused one that branches off towards Rathbone Road.

There's some Meccano pictures in this link and it also shows a bit of the Lord Roberts Memorial Workshop which was next door. The workshop was one of several established across Britain after World War I to provide employment for disabled ex-servicemen.

http://www.dalefield.com/mwes/history/index.html
    The tunnel which branches of towards Town was part of the longest in Liverpool it
    came out in Scotland Road for a short disantce and went back underground to
    the Docks the that branches of to Rathbone Road may have been the Juction to Edge Hill sidings why not get in touch with the Liverpool Echo to put your findings in their archives section of the history of Liverpool.
    Fergie

No it doesn't.

That's the Victoria/Waterloo tunnel from Edge Hill. We're obviously talking about the disused Olive Mount branch tunnel by Wavertree Tech Park station about a mile from Edge Hill. The branch that heads towards town is the Pico (sp?) tunnel which is very short and is still used today by the goods trains to Alexandra Dock. The Echo are well aware of all of these tunnels, and the proposals to re-open the Olive Mount tunnel to avoid the goods trains having to turn in Edge Hill yard.

Back to the topic... I walked the Olive Mount tunnel a while back, and the trackbed is still there all the way from the mainline to the goods branch. The signal box in Olive Mount cutting has gone, but to be honest I can't see why they ever lifted such a short section of track.

theninesisters

No it doesn't.

That's the Victoria/Waterloo tunnel from Edge Hill. We're obviously talking about the disused Olive Mount branch tunnel by Wavertree Tech Park station about a mile from Edge Hill. The branch that heads towards town is the Pico (sp?) tunnel which is very short and is still used today by the goods trains to Alexandra Dock. The Echo are well aware of all of these tunnels, and the proposals to re-open the Olive Mount tunnel to avoid the goods trains having to turn in Edge Hill yard.

Back to the topic... I walked the Olive Mount tunnel a while back, and the trackbed is still there all the way from the mainline to the goods branch. The signal box in Olive Mount cutting has gone, but to be honest I can't see why they ever lifted such a short section of track.
    Aye, you're right snappel. I've been taking pictures today from my office window so I'll upload em tonight. 9:30am every morning and about 100 wagons of coal goes past the window. That and the passenger service on the line next to em!

MarkA

Yeah, it's mainly coal trains that rumble slowly past at all hours of the night too. Although over the years there's been some goods in the early hours that have necessitated police being stationed (from what I've seen) on the Binns Road bridge and Pighue Lane bridge, whilst a train goes past.

Probably to stop the train getting held up by bandits!!

MarkA

Probably to stop the train getting held up by bandits!!
    Indeed

? ?

theninesisters

It's a crap picture but it was taken from my office today - actually that's a lie as it was taken from the bog window

Shows the tunnel for the goods train - this comes out under Wavertree Tech Park.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Excellent pictures Mark.
    Stumbled across them at the weekend as we were using Yahoo search engine to find pictures of Crawfords (guess whose link came out at number one?!).
    My wife's grandad was works manager at Crawfords so her dad grew up in the works managers house on Long Lane in Wavertree. The house is still there, but not sure if Crawfords/UB still own it. During the war her dad was evacuated to the Crawford's house in Denbigh, North Wales.
    Last edited by matt; 06-05-2007 at 01:53 PM.

MarkA

Hi Matt, UB sold all their houses in the late 80's. I didn't realise that we owned any in Sandown Lane until you said. Most of the properties that UB owned around the factory (Withers Street, Pleasant View, etc.) were demolished. All the ones on and around Olive Grove and Olive Lane were sold along with Sandown Hall and its grounds which was sold for just £250k. Nobody ever took any legal advice when it was sold as we were under the impression that it had been donated by the Crawford family to the workers of Crawford's in Liverpool. A lot of underhanded dealing went on at that time unfortunately.

These were scanned from a couple of magazines on Crawfords, borrowed from a friend.
    What to expect when joining the company, how they looked after the staff with a doctor, dentist etc on site.
    Crawfords was such a good family / caring type business, like so many others years ago.

Martin

John(Zappa)

Excellent stuff there Mart

Fantastic! Part of the factory is now used by Plod!

Thanks

I'm afraid the factory was knocked down,
    only the offices and one canteen remain now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast