Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mackenzie's Tomb - Rodney Street

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Hi
    have asked before, any idea the year McKenzie died.
    Joseph Sharples (a reliable source) says William Mackenzie, who was the railway contractor responsible for the Edge Hill-Lime Street railway tunnel died in 1851, and the "large, plain granite pyramid" is 1868.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't say anything else, like what happened to the body for those 17 years (oe even if the body is actually inside the pyramid!).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Joseph Sharples (a reliable source) says William Mackenzie, who was the railway contractor responsible for the Edge Hill-Lime Street railway tunnel died in 1851, and the "large, plain granite pyramid" is 1868.
    Unfortunately, he doesn't say anything else, like what happened to the body for those 17 years (oe even if the body is actually inside the pyramid!).
    Thanks Phil
    tis so I can check the burial records, as without a date it is a long job :-)

Quote Originally Posted by knowhowe View Post
    Here's a picture of the pyramid I took from inside St. Andrew's the morning after the fire that gutted it- was it 1982? (May be a year or two out on that). Whatever, I remember it was pretty hairy in there- big holes in the floor and everything still hot!

If no one really knows what is in it.. Maybe Cats , someone stated.?.

Why not do like an ultra sound machine of sorts.. This wouldn't disturb whatever lies inside... and well..... just a thought.... Cool pic..ta

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    If no one really knows what is in it.. Maybe Cats , someone stated.?.

Why not do like an ultra sound machine of sorts.. This wouldn't disturb whatever lies inside... and well..... just a thought.... Cool pic..ta

Good idea, but why not just open it up and have a look ?.

Well.. why not? I am not there to open it... The mystery remains....

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Well.. why not? I am not there to open it... The mystery remains....
    Sure does. As the site is privately owned and no body is sure who actualy
    ownsmit now, used to be a Doctor Prasad, who say's he sold it to his dad
    also Doctor Prasad. Liverpool council want the place, but as above are not sure who is the rightfull owner. It used to be a Presbyterian church until
    around 1975, so maybe they can shed light on the mystery

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Sure does. As the site is privately owned and no body is sure who actualy
    ownsmit now, used to be a Doctor Prasad, who say's he sold it to his dad
    also Doctor Prasad. Liverpool council want the place, but as above are not sure who is the rightfull owner. It used to be a Presbyterian church until
    around 1975, so maybe they can shed light on the mystery

Any more news on this site?
    I heard through the grapevine the other day that something is happening with it. Not sure what though.
    As I have said before,I can't see them wanting to keep a graveyard next to a set of apartments,. or a Uni building....

I would definitely try and start a campaign if the pyramid was threatened with demolition!

Just found this link, but it's from 2003!

http://ihbc.org.uk/context_archive/7...ol/stonard.htm
    Last edited by DaisyChains; 07-31-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added link

DaisyChains

I emailed the man in the article John Stonard and he emailed me back just now....he has left that position now...

I am led to believe that after a prolonged dispute it was recently ruled that Liverpool City Council had legally gained title of the church from the Dr who had owned the building for a number of years. The Council had set aside £200,000 to undertake basic repairs and make the building safe while potential uses were sought. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help. The Buildings at Risk officer (Chris Griffiths) or colleagues in the City Council's Conservation team may be able to help further. They can be contacted via Liverpool Direct on 0151 233 3000

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I emailed the man in the article John Stonard and he emailed me back just now....he has left that position now...

I am led to believe that after a prolonged dispute it was recently ruled that Liverpool City Council had legally gained title of the church from the Dr who had owned the building for a number of years. The Council had set aside £200,000 to undertake basic repairs and make the building safe while potential uses were sought. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help. The Buildings at Risk officer (Chris Griffiths) or colleagues in the City Council's Conservation team may be able to help further. They can be contacted via Liverpool Direct on 0151 233 3000
    Mystery solved!
    It's a Tardis.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-31-2007 at 11:06 AM.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Mystery solved!
    It's a Tardis.
    hehe

Ha ha.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I used to work for TACP Design, architects in Liverpool, and Dr Prasad was our client. We looked at a number of options for him including residential and offices and even adding a further level on top.
    TACP went bust in February 2001. One of the factors was the legal costs arising from suing the Dr for unpaid bills. I had hear rumors that the property had been given to TACP as payment but I'm not sure how true it was.
    The building was at one time going to be part of the JMU library that has been built behind it to line through exactly.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by RoddersUK View Post
    I used to work for TACP Design, architects in Liverpool, and Dr Prasad was our client. We looked at a number of options for him including residential and offices and even adding a further level on top.
    TACP went bust in February 2001. One of the factors was the legal costs arising from suing the Dr for unpaid bills. I had hear rumors that the property had been given to TACP as payment but I'm not sure how true it was.
    The building was at one time going to be part of the JMU library that has been built behind it to line through exactly.
    Brilliant bit of info! Thanks for sharing.
    Was there ever any mention as to what would happen to the graveyard?

As far as i remember it was to remain untouched.
    We just looked at putting new floors into the church.

The most recent planning application i can find is from March 2003 and it still lists Dr Prasad as the owner but it was withdrawn.

Application number 03L/0965
    Last edited by RoddersUK; 07-31-2007 at 12:56 PM.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by RoddersUK View Post
    As far as i remember it was to remain untouched.
    We just looked at putting new floors into the church.

The most recent planning application i can find is from March 2003 and it still lists Dr Prasad as the owner but it was withdrawn.

Application number 03L/0965
    brilliant detective work!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast