Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mackenzie's Tomb - Rodney Street

MissInformed

ooohhh count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    ooohhh count me in!
    Bravehearts on Rodney st eh Carrie, or is it just the thought of Chris and i in kilts?
    Simon Harrison

Its not too far gone yet.......
    LJMU's plans were very good and left the graves where they were. The refurbished/restored building had been planned to be the main ceremonial entrance into the Uni's 'Quad' area behind, so the green area of the graveyard is not needed as public green space and can be left as is. If you look at the white 'library' behind, it is planned with this in mind and the glazed central part of the elevation would act as the link between the 2 buildings. As the inside of the building is empty, the brick walls behind the sandstone facade could be rebuilt easily as there is nothing else of note while the sunday school on the opposite side is in OK condition as far as refurbs go.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    LJMU's plans were very good and left the graves where they were. The refurbished/restored building had been planned to be the main ceremonial entrance into the Uni's 'Quad' area behind, so the green area of the graveyard is not needed as public green space and can be left as is. If you look at the white 'library' behind, it is planned with this in mind and the glazed central part of the elevation would act as the link between the 2 buildings. As the inside of the building is empty, the brick walls behind the sandstone facade could be rebuilt easily as there is nothing else of note while the sunday school on the opposite side is in OK condition as far as refurbs go.
    that's quite encouraging.
    the trouble with me is, that i love old ruined buildings. Touching them at all seems sacrilege to me, but I know it has to be done or they would fall apart altogether!

Default What is the source of the tomb story

Apart from Tom Slemen and Frank Carlisle and the growth of an urban myth does anyone know of any pre-80's sources of this story. I was watching a tv programme a couple of years ago (I wish I had noted the details) but the church was a long way from liverpool, down south I think and the local church had exactly the same story...i.e. bloke in tomb seated at table with hand of cards

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    My understanding is that LJMU no longer has an interest in acquiring this property having reached the conclusion that it has better things to spend its money on than lining Dr Prasad's pockets.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    Apart from Tom Slemen and Frank Carlisle and the growth of an urban myth does anyone know of any pre-80's sources of this story. I was watching a tv programme a couple of years ago (I wish I had noted the details) but the chirch was a long way from liverpool, down south I think and the local church had exactly the same story...i.e. bloke in tomb seated at table with hand of cards
    Tom Slemen is not as early as the 1980s, but it was in the 1980s when "Villages of Liverpool" by Derek Whale came out (but offhand, I can't remember if DW mentions the grave).
    But I think the story of MacKenzies tomb is even earlier than that.
    There's no reason to believe that the story about somebody being buried sitting up is untrue - if you had the money, I'm sure there would have been no problems.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-21-2007 at 10:02 AM.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Tom Slemen is not as early as the 1980s, but it was in the 1980s when "Villages of Liverpool" by Derek Whale came out (but offhand, I can't remember if DW mentions the grave).
    But I think the story of MacKenzies tomb is even earlier than that.
    There's no reason to believe that the story about somebody being buried sitting up is untrue - if you had the money, I'm sure there would have been no problems.
    I too, would love to know the original source for this information

I heard he was playing his cards close to his chest though.

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I heard he was playing his cards close to his chest though.
    does anyone have any joke books they don't want? I think Ged needs em! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    Apart from Tom Slemen and Frank Carlisle and the growth of an urban myth does anyone know of any pre-80's sources of this story. I was watching a tv programme a couple of years ago (I wish I had noted the details) but the church was a long way from liverpool, down south I think and the local church had exactly the same story...i.e. bloke in tomb seated at table with hand of cards
    When I went on the shiverpool tour the other week the guides said all the ghostly locations had been corrobrated by a number of witnesses, in what I saw as a side swipe at Tom Slemen. They took us to this tomb and said that a number of years ago (may have been in the 70s) it was broken into and the tomb had to be resecured, and that police reports described a skeleton slumped forward holding a hand of cards.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    When I went on the shiverpool tour the other week the guides said all the ghostly locations had been corrobrated by a number of witnesses, in what I saw as a side swipe at Tom Slemen. They took us to this tomb and said that a number of years ago (may have been in the 70s) it was broken into and the tomb had to be resecured, and that police reports described a skeleton slumped forward holding a hand of cards.
    On the face of it, that seems to be proof.
    Unfortunately it's a pity they said he was holding cards - they wouldn't have survived for so long, would they?
    His clothes had rotted, but not the cards?

MissInformed

Unfortunately it's a pity they said he was holding cards - they wouldn't have survived for so long, would they?
    that is an excellent point Philip!

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    that is an excellent point Philip!
    Even back then could they not have had a coating of some type ? Modern cards have a plastic/resin coating don't they ?

Someone did ask if it was a winning hand and was told they had rotted considerably. No clothes were mentioned though.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast