Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kensington Fields Conservation Area

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Kensington Fields Conservation Area

Kensington Fields Conservation Area?

A Victorian housing estate in Liverpool could become a conservation area.

Residents in the Kensington Fields area are to be consulted about the proposals to protect their neighbourhood.

If the estate, which has 1,200 homes, is designated as a conservation area it means its special character and appearance will be preserved.

Although it does not stop new developments, it would mean demolition would be tightly controlled. A decision will be made next month.

Greater consideration would also be given to the design of new buildings and structures in planning decisions.

Cobbled streets

Councillor Berni Turner, executive member for environment and heritage, said: "We have 34 conservation areas in the city but none of them have a character like Kensington Fields.

"It is one of the few remaining Victorian estates, built at a time when the city was expanding rapidly.

"There has been work in recent years to retain the cobbled streets and carry out other environmental improvements to keep its Victorian character.

"We want to preserve the heritage of this area for future generations but it is vital that we know the views of the people living in the neighbourhood and I would hope that local residents respond to the consultation."

The council will make a decision on conservation area status when the public consultation ends on 16 February.

BBC Liverpool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

MissInformed

This is interesting.
    Anyone have any pics of the area?

PhilipG

Where is Kensington Fields?

Blog Entries

I pressume its that area just behind the Royal Hospital on the opposite side to where the Coach and Horses pub building is.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

MissInformed

No idea Philip!

Found this other link.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Housing/...ives/index.asp

theninesisters

You may as well know.....

I'm working on a website to do with the Demolition of Edge Lane/Kensington Fields/Edge Hill area with one of the main campaigners Elizabeth Pascoe.

It's nearly complete and when it is, I'll launch it on here first. It has lots of 3D flythrough's of what the area should look like with our plans as well as plans for Edge Lane and the new road scheme!

Kenny Fields social club is on Hall Lane, between Low Hill and Edge Lane.

MissInformed

cool, so you're in plans to demolish it all?

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    cool, so you're in plans to demolish it all?
    Nope, I'm proving this website free of charge to save all the demolition. Having met lots of people and been in lots of their houses that are earmarked for the JCB, I am right with 'em. No one should ever be forced out of their houses for any reason.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I pressume its that area just behind the Royal Hospital on the opposite side to where the Coach and Horses pub building is.
    You're probably right, Kev.
    I've just done a Google and Hall Lane is mentioned.

I didn't realise there were so many conservation areas (34 it says).
    It's quite encouraging.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-29-2007 at 01:42 PM.

It is the area you mentioned Kev
    All the roads after Jubilee drive that lead from Kenny to Edge Lane and across to Hall lane e.g. Albert Edward, Leopold rd etc. Mostly yellow glazed brick houses that still have the original cobbled road surfaces visible outside. They've (Kensington vision?) actually spent money cleaning any paint of a lot of the streets, installed new windows and rebuilt original walls etc to give the uniform terrace look back and they look really good. The conservation area makes sense .

Blog Entries

A VICTORIAN housing estate on the edge of Liverpool city centre could become a conservation area to protect its character. more

I think its a great idea, the streets themselves have character and a charm.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    A VICTORIAN housing estate on the edge of Liverpool city centre could become a conservation area to protect its character. more

I think its a great idea, the streets themselves have character and a charm.
    Quote:
    " Karen Flynn, chairwoman of the Kensington Fields Residents’ Association which has been campaigning for the status, said: “The is the last discreet area of Victorian housing outside London, which means it has a clear boundary. "

What is a "discreet area of Victorian housing", and why is this the last outside London?
    Apart from that confusing statement, I agree with the lady's comments.

MissInformed

I think Kensington Fields was where Samuel Solomon built his mansion and mausoleum.

Default Solomon's Mausoleum

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I think Kensington Fields was where Samuel Solomon built his mansion and mausoleum.
    The Mausoleum was built in I think in the Aigburth area somewhere between Brodie Ave and Cooper Ave. Dr Solomon's home was from memory think off Edge Lane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast