YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodney Street Area

Goin' up up up The Teardrop Explodes's Avatar
    Thanks

Default St. Andrews Church - Rodney Street

Along with the Stanley Warehouse, this has to be the city's most pressing restoration priority.

It's one almighty (no pun) edifice and no mistake.

Hard to imagine a similar treasure being lain waste in any other (foreign) city's centre.

ADVERTISING

Have there ever been any even tentative official talks to save it? Be great to see the interior restored too rather than the usual facade job.

PhilipG

At one stage there was talk of it becoming a library for the University.
    That was well before the new building was built behind.
    I've got B & W photos I took when it had both its towers.

BTW, it isn't No 1 Rodney Street.
    It's between 5 & 7.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 11-15-2006 at 12:00 AM.

scouserdave

Thanks to Nancy, the coolest Yank who has ever visited Liverpool for these pics taken in the 80s. Check out her pics here

MissInformed

oh wow! fantastic photos!
    It would have been amazing to be able to wander around the church and graveyard (did that sound morbid????)

has anyone ever tried to open the pyramid tomb of McKenzie?
    My dad told me a while back that a few workmen have tried...but none succeeded.

Thanks

I slept in that graveyard once! It was lovely curling up in the long grass, but rubbish when I woke at around 4am freezing cold, only just managing to get back over the fence to stumble home...

The church we used to climb up the scaffolding after nights out, just to take in a bit of fresh air before going home. It was a good vantage point for watching people falling about in the streets.

Since they found that body in there I haven't been back, although it would be good to take some photos up the tower. It is in a poor state, and yes, something should be done about it asap - who owns the place?

MissInformed

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    I slept in that graveyard once! It was lovely curling up in the long grass, but rubbish when I woke at around 4am freezing cold, only just managing to get back over the fence to stumble home...

The church we used to climb up the scaffolding after nights out, just to take in a bit of fresh air before going home. It was a good vantage point for watching people falling about in the streets.

Since they found that body in there I haven't been back, although it would be good to take some photos up the tower. It is in a poor state, and yes, something should be done about it asap - who owns the place?
    what body was that?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast