Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Goths

I wish goths really had magic powers so they could teach me them.

Gididi Gididi Goo.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by wallasey View Post
    the other thing is that the scateboarders go there too and try and jump off the steps, I am sure someone's going to get seriously injured there one day.
    My goodness! Really?
    LOL!

For those of you who missed message 25, the Quiggins shops are now in Central Hall, Renshaw Street and it's here you can find them in their droves too, particularly hanging around in the doorway. To me, they offer no threat but I agree that perhaps a space could be made for them and skateboarders perhaps.

PhilipG

Default Quiggins - A Potted History.

Quiggins were originally ironmongers and built a shop at 75 Renshaw Street in Edwardian times.
    By the 1980s it was an antique shop.
    They moved to School Lane to much bigger premises in the County Palatine Building.
    It was a great favourite with Goths, among others.
    It is due to be demolished as part of the Paradise Project, so Quigggins have taken up residence at Central Hall in Renshaw Street.
    They hope to move to John Lewis (formerly G H Lee) when JL move to their new building in Canning Place.

So they'll be in Williamson Square next year.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 02-05-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Shapers

Has'nt Quiggins moved to the building that used to be the Barcelona nightclub?

I don't see a problem them congregating round that particular area. So what. As long as they move out your way when you going past and not up to anything bad. They prob feel safer in large numbers.

I worked in Quiggins in Renshaw street when it sold hardware Phil, 1979 ish, brass door handles, nuts, bolts, screws, nails etc just like Campbell and Mabbs and Thomas and Nelson, I think that was 74a or 75 Renshaw st.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    The original point I was making was not whether Goths are better than Scallies or vice versa. It was about huge amounts of young people hanging round the Victoria monument on a Saturday afternoon. If it were Scallies doing this I would have the same opinion. The fact is that the Victoria monument has been defaaced in the past and the Goths cause a lot of noise and look unruly.

I agree many of these young people are probably very intelligent, but somewhere should be provided for them rather than Derby Square.
    Derby Square is such a soulless place at weekends. It needs more Goths nor less!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I worked in Quiggins in Renshaw street when it sold hardware Phil, 1979 ish, brass door handles, nuts, bolts, screws, nails etc just like Campbell and Mabbs and Thomas and Nelson, I think that was 74a or 75 Renshaw st.
    Thanks for that, Jed.
    I wondered if it had been an antique shop in the 1970s, but put 1980s to be on the safe side.

When I left there (it was a real old time stood still place with the boss up the rickety narrow stairs behinds his big oak desk) it was some years before I noticed Quiggins in School Lane, the Renshaw Street shop had become a weird looking place selling African type stuff and I wondered if the name was related in any way and if so how they had diversed from hardware to the stuff Quiggins was selling now? Do you know?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    When I left there (it was a real old time stood still place with the boss up the rickety narrow stairs behinds his big oak desk) it was some years before I noticed Quiggins in School Lane, the Renshaw Street shop had become a weird looking place selling African type stuff and I wondered if the name was related in any way and if so how they had diversed from hardware to the stuff Quiggins was selling now? Do you know?
    75 Renshaw Street became an antique shop.
    They kept the name Quiggins.
    More different sections opened up, and they moved to School Lane.
    I don't think 75 has been used since.

Someone at the Pier Head doesn't like Goths, if the graffiti on this memorial is anything to go by. This memorial was only cleaned about a year ago aswell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Memorial_graffiti.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	1470  

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Quiggins were originally ironmongers and built a shop at 75 Renshaw Street in Edwardian times.
    By the 1980s it was an antique shop.
    They moved to School Lane to much bigger premises in the County Palatine Building.
    It was a great favourite with Goths, among others.
    It is due to be demolished as part of the Paradise Project, so Quigggins have taken up residence at Central Hall in Renshaw Street.
    They hope to move to John Lewis (formerly G H Lee) when JL move to their new building in Canning Place.

So they'll be in Williamson Square next year.
    You can still see the Quiggins name in the mosaic in the floor of the shop entrance. The CP building isn't to be fully demolished though,surely? I heard it was only the back end of it,the warehouse bit,that was going. The front facade is staying and being done up,supposedly.

Dave.

chippie

Default goth city

I quite like Goths, as has been pointed out, they do no harm to people as a rule, and they are colourful. I find them no threat whatsoever. This is from someone who does fear some of the kids of today, must stem from when I was mugged in Victoria Street back in the 70s and left for dead in the street.

Exclamation

It's not just goths. There are simply too many teenagers hanging around on our streets drinking, shouting, spraying graffiti and generally being direspectful. I believe that younger kids can be helped out of this behaviour, but the older ones are too far gone.
    An example is the fact that they will winge that they have nothing to do, so a community centre will be built which they then go and destroy. They are just looking for an excuse to be violent. I got bored when I was younger, but I didn't use this as an excuse to go around vandalising everything. I found something to do and got a job.
    Adults saying that kids have nothing to do are basically giving yobs the green light to do what they want. There is plenty to do all around the city, there is no excuse for being anti-social. I blame the parents more than anyone else.

Regarding the issue of dispersing gangs. The police only have the power to disperse gangs and take them home if the area has a section 30 order on it. This is rediculous and is why I think there should be a city wide permanant section 30 order which would give the police the power to disperse gangs and send them home anywhere in the city.

the goths are the good guys, they will never cause any real bother to anyone,they might hang around in groups and make a bit of noise but they will never attack people. Theyre just kids having clean(ish) fun.

Hippys , goths, heavy metal kids, even the punks these days are the good guys.
    Its the scallies/chavs to watch out for, the ones in the hoodies and tracksuits, they are the ones who carry knives etc.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast