Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunnels Under Liverpool

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by theoc View Post
    Hi all
    found your forum yesterday, fascinating to me since i left Liverpool some years ago.

When i was a kid growing up in Woolton Village, beside Reynolds Park, i discovered (I wasn't the first of course) a tunnel which ran for about 15 feet before turning right and running for another ten feet at which point it had been blocked off.
    The tunnel is located near the base of the small quarry which can be found over a seven foot wall which runs along the left side of the entrance path from the gates on Woolton Hill Road.
    i've looked for the quarry on Google Earth but it's completely obscured by a canopy of trees.

there's another oddity in Reynolds park which looks almost like a concealed entrance at the top of the field at the Woolton Park entrance.

Anybody here know anything about this or has anybody else seen the tunnel?
    Snappel did a report on this a little while ago but it may have been on a different forum. He posted up pictures though - give him a private message.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    On the Williamson Tunnels Website; it was posted a while ago but sounds interesting:

thats off http://www.williamsontunnels.co.uk
    I always knew that the Mole of Edge Hill was not from Liverpool but there were never any specific details (apart from one mention of Warrington). You'd think they'd write a proper book or something about him but I suppose with information so scarce it'd be hard.
    I'm currently writing 'THE' book on Williamson and the Tunnels. Having been involved on the scene for 8 years, there's probably nothing I don't know about Williamson, his will, neighbours, the tunnels and I've been in every accessible section too (including the rare triple decker tunnel running underneath the Heritage Centre)

In 'A pub on every corner' regarding the Coach and Horses, Low hill. Freddy O'Connor mentions underground tunnels leading to a local bridewell. Anyone know anything about this?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I'm currently writing 'THE' book on Williamson and the Tunnels. Having been involved on the scene for 8 years, there's probably nothing I don't know about Williamson, his will, neighbours, the tunnels and I've been in every accessible section too (including the rare triple decker tunnel running underneath the Heritage Centre)
    Good luck with your book, mate! I'll look forward to seeing it.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Good luck with your book, mate! I'll look forward to seeing it.

Chris
    Thank you Chris. There has been one book already on the Tunnels, which has read as little more than 'hearsay' and chinese whispers. In this book, I am including all 4 portraits of Williamson, a full copy of his will, and lots of information from around the area too. The biggest part is the 'red tape' but I'm sure I can bribe the council in some way

The biggest problem with books like this is that people release them expecting to make a mint yet produce little more than stories, I am going to be quoting hard fact from genuine sources, Williamson's Will, Stonehouse (1846) - Hand's visit in 1926 - and so on.

I like the sound of your approach and that the book will be fact based rather than rely on myth and legend.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I was in a play about Williamson earlier this year at The Unity Theatre - The King of Edge Hill by Karen Brown. Most of the cast went down the tunnels at some point. When I went, the guide was obviously new. One of the points of interest she took great pride in bringing our attention was a 'fossilised bird's nest'. The other guides had obviously been winding her up - the thing can't have been more than a year old.

Did the happen to find the joke book I use whilst in there?

Cadfael

When I was doing tours of the area on Heritage Weekends, I didn't give a jot of information out that I couldn't say I sourced it from and could rabble on for at least 20 mins on just that section of the tunnels. The extra parts that I am touching on are Williamson's parents, his Godson (buried in a grave in Liverpool) and the connection between Williamson and Rosewen in Cumberland of which was in his will. But if I type it all on here, I wouldn't have a book to print

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    In 'A pub on every corner' regarding the Coach and Horses, Low hill. Freddy O'Connor mentions underground tunnels leading to a local bridewell. Anyone know anything about this?
    Don't know about tunnels, but there is still a former bridewell close by.
    Prescot Street, opposite the Royal's chimney.

What would be the point of tunnels between a police station and a pub?

Cadfael

What would be the point of tunnels between a police station and a pub
    All depends on how old the surroundings are - The Masons Arms in Soho has such a thing and was built at the time when there was public hangings. If the police deemed that they would lose the prisoner with all the crowds, they shoved the prisoner down the tunnel system and along to the hanging bay.

For those interested, this book...

...was available (new) for £6.99 in the discount book shop in St Johns last time I was there. Big stack opposite the door. The shop is on the ground floor by 'Food Court'. A **** good read, and some excellent pictures too.

Yes i've got that, a good book and i've even been down the little bridewell under what was a book shop in Fazakerley street that it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Hi
    think there is one under the old Royal Infirmary, also the catacombs
    of Anfield Cem

steve
    There are tunnels at the nook in Gateacre, one goes to Garston, one goes to the Abbey, and one goes to camp hill. Been told that the monks from the abbey used to take the booze down through the tunnel to the pub at the nook. Been a boozer there since 900 ad and it is mentioned in the dooms day book. They used to sell slaves outside the gateacre hall hotel which was built on it. they slaves were kept at the back of the hotel. They have knocked the hotel down now and built houses on top of the tunnels. I've spoke to people who have seen the three tunnels and they are genuine people.

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yes i've got that, a good book and i've even been down the little bridewell under what was a book shop in Fazakerley street that it shows.
    Any pics Ged?

How did you get permission for that?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast