Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tunnels Under Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    I'm not sure,but last time I was able to get in there,it was possible to drop stones through holes in the concrete floor and listen to them drop several seconds later.Obviously,the actual catacombes must still exist and the staircases were the only parts filled in.Where are these maps you have seen?
    Are they online?
    Hi
    I will find them and put one up...

steve

Gnomie

St Annes Church in Overbury street has tunnels underneath. I worked there doing some electrics in the 1980`s. we had to go down to the basement. down there is a large archway with passage ways running off it. they contain tombs and go ( i think) in the direction of where st annes school stood and the kwik save. we walked along them for a while. they are fairly big.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    St Annes Church in Overbury street has tunnels underneath. I worked there doing some electrics in the 1980`s. we had to go down to the basement. down there is a large archway with passage ways running off it. they contain tombs and go ( i think) in the direction of where st annes school stood and the kwik save. we walked along them for a while. they are fairly big.
    Are they still accessible to this day? Overbury street falls in the catchment area of JW's Tunnels....if so I will have to write a letter and see if I'm allowed down!

Gnomie

We only got down there as we where working there. i dont think there is any public access. I mentioned this to Tom Slemen who said he would try and get in there. he has never got back. If you are allowed in then can i come along please. i would love to go back in there.

theninesisters

We only got down there as we where working there. i dont think there is any public access. I mentioned this to Tom Slemen who said he would try and get in there. he has never got back. If you are allowed in then can i come along please. i would love to go back in there.
    I'll write em a letter explaining my interest in the JW Tunnels and see where it gets me. That sounds fascinating too as it's a stones throw from Mason Street and the surrounding area's are littered with tunnels that we've not been able to access! If I get a response then I'll shout you!

Shout me too please, al hold ya coat.

Blog Entries

Count me in
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

I'll take a picnic eh lads

Jona - doesn't the JW website make a reference somewhere to the possibility of a tunnel linking the JW tunnels to the church?

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Jona - doesn't the JW website make a reference somewhere to the possibility of a tunnel linking the JW tunnels to the church?
    Different church. The rumour goes is that JW built a tunnel linking Paddington to St Mary's Church - we are yet to find whether this is true.
    One person said that there is an archway in the corner of the graveyard (see attached picture) but this is currently blocked up and we think it goes down to the double section of graves below (higher graveyard than the road).

One of the reasons why we doubt this, is that St Mary's wasn't JW's local church, his 'local' church was St Thomas Park Lane where he was married.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Gnomie

They may not be JW tunnels. they have graves in the walls. keep us informed

They may not be JW tunnels. they have graves in the walls. keep us informed
    Catacombs, a lot of cems had them. Anfield has, if and when I find my
    map I will put it up

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I was going through Jim Moore's 'Underground Liverpool' last night to see if there were any tunnels we had missed, and I found something in the conclusion...Page 112

"William Pring recently wrote to the Liverpool Echo about a tunnel he had excavated in Lydia Anne Street some fifty years ago. Working on the basement of a house, he discovered a tunnel with a brick-laid roadway. 'We investigated further, and found it was a roadway wide enough for a horse and wagon, and at one point had a heavy steel door across'. The Council was informed but showed little interest and Mr Pring took no further action. So what was the tunnel and is it still there?"

Interesting stuff!!

Yeah, have been wondering about this too - well strange. It's not too far from Williamson's 'local' church - St Thomas' Park Lane but there's no recordings of tunnels around that area. Certainly worth a nose this weekend. Had a nose on Google Earth - anyone know what the road is used for - is it a road full of houses?

Lydia Ann Street about 50 years ago would have had part of Kent Gardens tenement block on it, the Phoenix Foundry on the street built Merseyside's first marine engine.

Default Liverpool Castle

There is reputed to be a still-extant tunnel running down James Street from the site of Liverpool Castle (now Queen Viccie's Monument) to the river.
    This seems feasable as such features were a standard part of castle design in order to enable access for men and supplies during times of seige. Examples are known to exist at, for example, the Tower of London and at Chester Castle.

http://www.bwpics.co.uk/castle.html

if it does still exist, where it emerges at the riverside is anyone's guess...
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com

Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast