YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 134

Thread: Tunnels Under Liverpool

  1. #1
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default Tunnels Under Liverpool

    Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.


    ADVERTISING




    The tunnels discussed so far:
    1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

    Anyone have anymore to add?
    Even rumours/stories you have heard would be interesting

  2. #2
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    I'll kick off with the rumoured tunnel from Childwall Hall to the Childwall Abbey.

    Having done some calculations on the gradient of the land, I don't think this would have ever existed. The gradient from what is now Mersey TV (where Childwall Hall once stood) to ground level at the Abbey is 47 foot - a measurement taken against the church tower and a light beam. Then give another 10ft or so to get in the celler system, you would have have a gradient of over 50 ft for just a short distance. Not a chance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham

  4. #4
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Have heard rumours for years about a tunnel that goes from the Olympia pub on West Derby road to the basement of the Olympia theatre. Heard this from numerous people in the area including a lad whose mate lived in the pub for years and someone who worked on the door of the theatre when it was the Locarno ballroom. Also stories of a lift that goes from the basement of the theatre up into the centre of the floor that was used to bring the animals up when it was a circus (Cages in the walls in the basement aswell) Dont know how much is true but it is very interesting and I love the theatre by the great theatre architect Frank Matcham
    No tunnel from the theatre to the pub.
    It wasn't a lift for the animals in the centre of the ring, but the ring itself (the arena) could be hydraulically sunk into a pit and flooded with 80,000 gallons of water for aquatic displays.

  5. #5
    Senior Member christy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?

  6. #6
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Cheers for that mate, sounds amazing, have you been down into the basement?
    No, unfortunately, but there is book about Frank Matcham where I got the info from.
    I once took a group of people round the Olympia, but we couldn't go into the basement.

  7. #7
    Gerard
    Guest Gerard's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.

    The tunnels discussed so far:
    1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

    Anyone have anymore to add?
    Even rumours/stories you have heard would be interesting
    I wish I had a tunnel under Rrr ouse goin' straight t' The Lord Warden..
    "I wont be Long girl..Just lookin' f' somethin' in the Shed".....again !!

  8. #8
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    all good stuff so far guys...

  9. #9
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I thought we should have a definitive thread for all the tunnel discussion we have on here.

    The tunnels discussed so far:
    1. Williamson Tunnels
    2. The Vines tunnels
    3. Baltic Fleet tunnels

    Anyone have anymore to add?
    Even rumours/stories you have heard would be interesting
    Hi
    think there is one under the old Royal Infirmary, also the catacombs
    of Anfield Cem


    steve

  10. #10
    Libertarian
    Guest Libertarian's Avatar

    Default

    When I was a kid used to walk through a tunnel from Moor Lane Walton to Kirkdale Station. Strange what you get up to as a kid eh?

  11. #11
    MissInformed
    Guest MissInformed's Avatar

    Default

    I was going through Jim Moore's 'Underground Liverpool' last night to see if there were any tunnels we had missed, and I found something in the conclusion...Page 112

    "William Pring recently wrote to the Liverpool Echo about a tunnel he had excavated in Lydia Anne Street some fifty years ago. Working on the basement of a house, he discovered a tunnel with a brick-laid roadway. 'We investigated further, and found it was a roadway wide enough for a horse and wagon, and at one point had a heavy steel door across'. The Council was informed but showed little interest and Mr Pring took no further action. So what was the tunnel and is it still there?"

    Interesting stuff!!

  12. #12
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    think there is one under the old Royal Infirmary
    Yes, there are tunnels, but these are just the underfloor heating/service tunnels common to most hospitals. One branch does in fact link with the Universities engineering department - something to do with the steam turbine once connecting to the hospital boiler room I think. The tunnels are still there, but I've not been down them. The boiler house is now stripped out.

  13. #13
    No stan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    When I was a kid used to walk through a tunnel from Moor Lane Walton to Kirkdale Station. Strange what you get up to as a kid eh?

    We tried that when we were kids but it was all fenced off.

    With regards to the catties in Anfield cem,they're all filled in now.

    There is a tunnel going from the old rectory in the grounds of Alsop school going to Walton Church.

  14. #14
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Yes, there are tunnels, but these are just the underfloor heating/service tunnels common to most hospitals. One branch does in fact link with the Universities engineering department - something to do with the steam turbine once connecting to the hospital boiler room I think. The tunnels are still there, but I've not been down them. The boiler house is now stripped out.
    Thanks for the Info... Once Iam off my crutches, don't ask, I will get out with my camera.... Yes I have seen many such tunnels and are as you say mainly
    service tunnels, not very interesting, but still a tunnel. Did you ever go into the catacombs in anfield Cem ?, looking at a map they seem to go for miles

    steve

  15. #15
    No stan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I'm not sure,but last time I was able to get in there,it was possible to drop stones through holes in the concrete floor and listen to them drop several seconds later.Obviously,the actual catacombes must still exist and the staircases were the only parts filled in.Where are these maps you have seen?
    Are they online?

  16. #16
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    I'm not sure,but last time I was able to get in there,it was possible to drop stones through holes in the concrete floor and listen to them drop several seconds later.Obviously,the actual catacombes must still exist and the staircases were the only parts filled in.Where are these maps you have seen?
    Are they online?
    Hi
    I will find them and put one up...

    steve

  17. #17
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    St Annes Church in Overbury street has tunnels underneath. I worked there doing some electrics in the 1980`s. we had to go down to the basement. down there is a large archway with passage ways running off it. they contain tombs and go ( i think) in the direction of where st annes school stood and the kwik save. we walked along them for a while. they are fairly big.

  18. #18
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    St Annes Church in Overbury street has tunnels underneath. I worked there doing some electrics in the 1980`s. we had to go down to the basement. down there is a large archway with passage ways running off it. they contain tombs and go ( i think) in the direction of where st annes school stood and the kwik save. we walked along them for a while. they are fairly big.
    Are they still accessible to this day? Overbury street falls in the catchment area of JW's Tunnels....if so I will have to write a letter and see if I'm allowed down!

  19. #19
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    We only got down there as we where working there. i dont think there is any public access. I mentioned this to Tom Slemen who said he would try and get in there. he has never got back. If you are allowed in then can i come along please. i would love to go back in there.

  20. #20
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    We only got down there as we where working there. i dont think there is any public access. I mentioned this to Tom Slemen who said he would try and get in there. he has never got back. If you are allowed in then can i come along please. i would love to go back in there.
    I'll write em a letter explaining my interest in the JW Tunnels and see where it gets me. That sounds fascinating too as it's a stones throw from Mason Street and the surrounding area's are littered with tunnels that we've not been able to access! If I get a response then I'll shout you!

  21. #21
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Shout me too please, al hold ya coat.

  22. #22
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,489
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Count me in
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  23. #23
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    I'll take a picnic eh lads

  24. #24
    Still alive snappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Jona - doesn't the JW website make a reference somewhere to the possibility of a tunnel linking the JW tunnels to the church?

  25. #25
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Jona - doesn't the JW website make a reference somewhere to the possibility of a tunnel linking the JW tunnels to the church?
    Different church. The rumour goes is that JW built a tunnel linking Paddington to St Mary's Church - we are yet to find whether this is true.
    One person said that there is an archway in the corner of the graveyard (see attached picture) but this is currently blocked up and we think it goes down to the double section of graves below (higher graveyard than the road).

    One of the reasons why we doubt this, is that St Mary's wasn't JW's local church, his 'local' church was St Thomas Park Lane where he was married.
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

  26. #26
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    They may not be JW tunnels. they have graves in the walls. keep us informed

  27. #27
    Senior Member steveb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    They may not be JW tunnels. they have graves in the walls. keep us informed
    Catacombs, a lot of cems had them. Anfield has, if and when I find my
    map I will put it up

  28. #28
    theninesisters
    Guest theninesisters's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MissInformed View Post
    I was going through Jim Moore's 'Underground Liverpool' last night to see if there were any tunnels we had missed, and I found something in the conclusion...Page 112

    "William Pring recently wrote to the Liverpool Echo about a tunnel he had excavated in Lydia Anne Street some fifty years ago. Working on the basement of a house, he discovered a tunnel with a brick-laid roadway. 'We investigated further, and found it was a roadway wide enough for a horse and wagon, and at one point had a heavy steel door across'. The Council was informed but showed little interest and Mr Pring took no further action. So what was the tunnel and is it still there?"

    Interesting stuff!!

    Yeah, have been wondering about this too - well strange. It's not too far from Williamson's 'local' church - St Thomas' Park Lane but there's no recordings of tunnels around that area. Certainly worth a nose this weekend. Had a nose on Google Earth - anyone know what the road is used for - is it a road full of houses?

  29. #29
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Lydia Ann Street about 50 years ago would have had part of Kent Gardens tenement block on it, the Phoenix Foundry on the street built Merseyside's first marine engine.

  30. #30
    Senior Member knowhowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chester UK
    Posts
    256
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Liverpool Castle

    There is reputed to be a still-extant tunnel running down James Street from the site of Liverpool Castle (now Queen Viccie's Monument) to the river.
    This seems feasable as such features were a standard part of castle design in order to enable access for men and supplies during times of seige. Examples are known to exist at, for example, the Tower of London and at Chester Castle.

    http://www.bwpics.co.uk/castle.html

    if it does still exist, where it emerges at the riverside is anyone's guess...
    Chester: a Virtual Stroll Around the Walls-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info

    The Liverpool Gallery-
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/liverpool.html

    The Chester Shop
    http://www.thechestershop.com


    Chester & Liverpool Guided Walks
    http://www.chesterwalls.info/guidedwalks.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
  2. Victoria & Waterloo Tunnels Liverpool Dec 2011
    By Kevsy in forum Exploring Merseyside
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
  3. Williamson Tunnels
    By Kev in forum Exploring Merseyside
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
  4. Liverpool's Old Historic Rail Tunnels
    By Waterways in forum Liverpool's Road and Rail Development
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
  5. C.L.C. Tunnels Liverpool
    By Luke the Scouser in forum Exploring Merseyside
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!