Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Windmills

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Scotland Road mill in 1947 and a now view. This is the stretch from Silvester street to Woodstock street and where the Honky Tonk aka Dolly Hickies stood for many years. The 1st pic is from the LRO.
    Thanks, Ged. I remember that mill from riding up Scotland Road on the L5 Ribble bus up to my auntie's in Thornton. That would have been circa 1954-1967, about which time I believe the mill was demolished.

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Default Scott's Mill, Toxteth Park.

I sent this to toxteth.net just a year ago, but it was never used, so because it's all ready to read, I'll put it here.

SOUTH END AND HIGH PARK FLOUR MILLS.

The following is taken from a brief history of the Wilson's Mill in Mill Street.
    This is the mill that is still trading as ADM Milling.
    (Is it a contender for the longest established business in Toxteth?).
    This history was published in 1911 when the proprietors were W. O. & J. Wilson, Ltd.
    I will copy the first part as it it stands, because the details haven't been checked.

Three windmills are known to have been in this neighbourhood.
    1. Scott's Mill, which is the one with which this piece is concerned, although it's interesting that the author of this piece avoids mentioning any of the previous owners' names.
    2. There was a windmill at the junction at Hill Street and Mill Street, which was the one that gave its name to Mill Street.
    3. The Park Road Windmill which stood on the site of Pickwick Street.
    There was also another windmill just outside the Toxteth boundary, on the mount on which the Anglican Cathedral was built.
    And, for the record, a cluster of mills in Lime Street, with more being scattered across Liverpool.

The reference below to a mill in Rigby Street is a mystery - as far as I know there never was such a street in Toxteth - perhaps it was in Stockport.

Quote:
    "SOUTH END AND HIGH PARK FLOUR MILLS.

"ADVENT OF THE NEW SYSTEM.

"In giving a brief account of the rise and progress of the South End and High Park Mills, owned and worked by the firm of Messrs. W O & J Wilson Ltd., it may be of interest to the reader to have some particulars of the historic site on which the imposing mills and grain warehouses, reproduced in our sketch, now stand.

The Royal Park of Toxteth, formerly one of the hunting parks of King John, has been for some centuries associated with the milling industry.

In the years 1590-91, during the mayoralty of John Byrde, it was notified that the Royal Park of Toxteth was to be disparked, and "That about 100 acres should be reserved for the inhabitants of Liverpool, or such of them as would endeavour themselves to take the same, or such portion as they could conveniently deal with." In the year 1604 we find that portions of the land were divided, dwelling-houses built, and a considerable area converted into arable and pasture land, some parts being tilled and sown with corn; also that two water mills for grinding corn had been erected.

In 1789, by a grant under the Duchy Seal, the park was conveyed to the Earl of Sefton for a valuable consideration, and in course of time the water mills gave place to the wind-mill which occupied the site until it ultimately came into the possession of the late Mr William Oldfield Wilson, the founder of the firm of W O & J Wilson. Coming to Liverpool from Stockport, Mr Wilson took the Rigby Street Mill, and when in 1847 he sold this to Messrs. G & E Elliot, the manufacture of flour was transferred to the wind-mill in Toxteth Park. The accompanying illustration, reproduced from an oil painting made at the time, shows the mill as it was when taken over by Mr Wilson.

The business there developed rapidly, and in 1863 a steam mill was erected adjoining the wind-mill, which, however, continued in use till 1885 when it was dismantled, new machinery being installed, and steam became the motive power also for this mill.

In 1863 the late Mr Joseph Wilson joined his brother in Partnership, and took a prominent part in the management of the business. Both brothers had received practical training at their father's mill in Stockport, where the milling industry had been successfully carried on by the Wilson family for three generations. Both were men of fine physique and energy, and fully alive to the great changes about to be wrought in milling by the introduction of improved machinery."
    End of quote.

The rest of the history goes on in a similar vein - it had, after all, been written for the trade journal "Milling", and it's a publicity piece for Wilson's - so I'll just extract some relevant parts.

"In 1871 the High Park Mills were found to be inadequate for the requirements of the trade, and the firm lost no time in supplying the want by the erection of the massive stone building known as South End Mills, the stone for this being quarried out of the adjacent land."

It appears that High Park Mill and South End Mill were both part of the same site, with South End Mill being the "tower block" that is seen in the 1920s photo of Grove Cottage.

"Further additions were made to the already substantial block of buildings, and in 1874 the imposing warehouse in Grain Street was erected."

"By this time (ie 1874) great changes had taken place in the district. When the property was first occupied by the founder of the firm, the surroundings of the old wind-mill were quite rural. Between it, and what is now Caryl Street, was a tract of rocky common land known as "Mill-fields", and partly occupied with gorse bushes, a sandy shore and, later, timber yards, occupied the site of the present magnificent South End Docks. South Hill Road and the Dingle were then residential suburbs where many of the Liverpool merchants resided."

"During the partnership of Mr W O Wilson and Mr Joseph Wilson the firm erected streets of houses in the immediate neighbourhood of their mills for the convenience of the employees. An Institute for recreation was also opened, both partners taking the deepest interest in the welfare of every man in their employ, ever ready with help and advice in all times of trouble or sickness, either in the case of the employees or their families."

"In 1880 a disastrous fire occurred at the South End Mills, the chief portion of the mill and warehouse being burned. Steps were promptly taken to reinstate the plant, the old machinery being replaced with that of the most improved type, and a few years later more modern and powerful engines were installed, these superseding the original engines which had been constructed and erected under the direction of Mr W O Wilson."

"The year 1886 saw the High Park Mills lighted by electricity, and a few years later a larger plant was laid down, by which means the entire group of mills, warehouses, and offices were lighted, and the old system of gas lighting entirely abolished, the electric current being generated on the premises. With a view of further minimising the risk of fire a complete installation of fire sprinklers was introduced, the whole of the buildings being fitted with these safeguards."

"In 1892-3 extensive wheat silos were erected, capable of holding large quantities of wheat, thus enabling the firm to stock the various qualities of grain necessary for the regular production of their well known flours, to carry into effect their motto of "Highest quality, Greatest regularity," the result of which has done much to develop and retain their present high position in the milling world."

"To cope with the further growth of the trade, it was found necessary in 1894 to undertake the reconstruction of South End Mills, and a new roller plant was laid down, largely increasing the output of flour, and this necessitated in the following year a further addition in the shape of new and increased power engines. The remodelling of the mill and the erection of the engines, drive, etc., were carried out under the direction of Mr Frank C Wilson (the present Chairman of the Company) who is a practical engineer and miller."

"A few years later large warehouses in Bran Street were built for the storage of mill products, special attention being paid to secure the most favourable conditions of storage, ventilation and temperature."

The above was taken from the Company's version of their history.
    However, contemporary maps paint a different picture of the early history.
    The 1767 Map of Toxteth Park shows the field in which the mill would appear. It is called "Rough and Hollow", and, significantly, there are no buildings shown at all.
    1816 & 1826 maps: Shows a little sketch of a windmill.
    1835 Map: Mill. Mrs Scott.
    1847 map: New Park Windmill.
    1881 map: High Park Mills.
    It was still Wilsons in the 1930s, but it was later called Spillers Wilson King.
    It is currently ADM Milling Ltd.

My personal interpretation is that the windmill was erected after 1789, but before 1816.
    I can't confirm that it replaced two water mills.
    Don't water mills require a flow of water?
    What is the significance of the word "New" used on the 1847 map?
    With this history being published in 1911, could it have been on the occasion of the centenary of the windmill, but somewhere along the way the author forgot to mention that important point?

By the way, the sketches referred to are very poor - my copy of the history was a poor photocopy.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-13-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Phil
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Thanks Phil
    You're welcome, Kev.
    I did quite a lot of research for that piece, so it's good that it's out in the public domain, rather than just sitting in my 'sent mail'.

Well done.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Wavertree Mill

Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C. See

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31518811&f=
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wavertree Mill location 00517.JPG 
Views:	529 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	3441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wavertree Mill location 00518.JPG 
Views:	573 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	3442  

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C. See

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31518811&f=
    Many thanks, Taffy. Great to see the Wavertree Mill, though now gone, still commemorated on the site where it stood on Charles Berrington Road, as well as on the Web, courtesy of the Wavertree historical society.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Yes, i've had the pleasure of meeting Mike Chitty and Rob Zatz of the Wavertree History Society, very knowledgeable men of that area and Mike even had a photo of Gerard Gardens for me.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Once located at the top of Charles Berrington Rd. Demolished early part of the 20th C.
    Ah well, I was only 500 metres out (I did say that it was in the area of the Coffee House/Blind School)...see start of thread.

chippie

Default Olive Mount Hospital

does anyone know if the hospital is still around or if it has been demolished?

When I was working in Mill Road Hospital, I remember that we used to have patients from the children,s home. Did the hospital get turned into the home or were they separate places?

Does anyone have a photo of the hospital please.?

It was demolished in the early 90's. A private housing estate was built there, my sister has lived there since they were built.
    There is a picture of it on this site.
    http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.h...iverpool.shtml
    Last edited by shytalk; 06-15-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

chippie

Default Olive Mount Hospital

Thank you Shytalk, much appreciated

Post TOWNSEND MILL/REGENT RD

Does anyone know where the Townsend Mill was? I found a pic/painting of it on http://www.mersey-gateway.org listed as Townsend Mill/Regent Rd. Does this mean it was on Regent rd & near Townsend st?
    Browniescorner
    out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Browniescorner View Post
    Does anyone know where the Townsend Mill was? I found a pic/painting of it on http://www.mersey-gateway.org listed as Townsend Mill/Regent Rd. Does this mean it was on Regent rd & near Townsend st?

Just east of Nelson Dock on Regent Road. Actually it was "New Townsend" Mill, the original Townsend Mill (which was demolished about the same time that the Regent Road mill was built in 1792) was where the fountain is outside the Walker Art Gallery.

The Townsend name in both cases described the location of the mills when they were built - at the end of the town.

It was burnt out in 1880 but the bottom four floors of the tower were still standing until the 1950s.
    Last edited by ghughesarch; 02-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.

This is located at the Southern end of Smithdown Road. The building has recently been surrounded in scaffolding (I think it sells bathrooms etc).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast