Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Windmills

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Thanks everyone, especially Chris for the dates.
    I was 99% sure I'd seen it marked on a 1966 OS map.
    Now I'm 100% sure.
    Hi Philip

Glad to help re the date in the Sixties through which Scott's Mill was still extant. I also remember the tower of Leicester’s Mill on Scotland Road / Bevington Bush which as per the list above was demolished in the Sixties also. It's sad to see these old remainders of the past city swept away which goes to show we have to cherish what is left.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

There was another building of interest on the Scotts Mill site...the very old cottage. Some people say it was demolished in the 1960s, but I have a feeling it was still there until at least 1974.
    The big brown-brick part of the mill is crowned with a date of 1883. It is almost surrounded by newer silos. I haven't counted how many floors it has, but it's pretty high for a brick structure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingle_Flour_mill_Old_wall_Date.JPG 
Views:	681 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	2683  

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    There was another building of interest on the Scotts Mill site...the very old cottage. Some people say it was demolished in the 1960s, but I have a feeling it was still there until at least 1974.
    The big brown-brick part of the mill is crowned with a date of 1883. It is almost surrounded by newer silos. I haven't counted how many floors it has, but it's pretty high for a brick structure.
    Do you mean Grove Cottage?
    http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverp...%20cottage.htm
    Or was there one within the site itself?
    I knew Mrs Dean whose husband was the caretaker at Spillers (or foreman, or something) and she let me copy a pic of their house which was inside the site, but it was only late Victorian.

I wrote quite a large piece on the mill site for Paul at toxteth.net, but unfortunately he hasn't had time to do much with his site since last July.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.

That's it Grove cottage...but reading the text, someone says 1966, someone says earlier, and I think 1970s. I'd like to know for sure...I'm going from memory, not from any maps or anything.
    Anyway I heard a Scotts mill story somewhere that Judas Burning took off when the foreman got some workers the sack, so they burned an effigy of him...just another rumour going around.
    Last edited by marky; 05-01-2007 at 11:40 AM.

PhilipG

That's it Grove cottage...but reading the text, someone says 1966, someone says earlier, and I think 1970s. I'd like to know for sure...I'm going from memory, not from any maps or anything.
    Anyway I heard a Scotts mill story somewhere that Judas Burning took off when the foreman got some workers the sack, so they burned an effigy of him...just another rumour going around.
    Marky, when it was standing, Grove Cottage was just outside the site of the mill, but now that's it's gone the site's expanded and it's just inside.
    I'll check, but I'm reasonably sure that the 1966 OS map shows the mill as standing, but Grove Cottage as already gone.
    I'll have to go to the library, because I've only got the 1953 OS at home.
    It was the centenary booklet for St Cleopas Church (1966) that mentioned Grove Cottage as being "recently demolished".

Incidently, one thing that annoys me about toxteth.net is that some of the articles have contributions from a number of people and they are mixed up together and the reader doesn't know who contributed what.
    I like to make sure of my facts and don't like my name associated with mistakes.
    Rant over.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-01-2007 at 11:57 AM.

I thought the building I was thinking of was visible in Grain Street, near Mill Street end. I accept you are correct...I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to old buildings or their precise locations, when I was younger. I think I'll have to invest in some maps.
    I passed the area in the 1970s when there was some work going on (between Harlow Street and Grain Street). I used to have to walk in the road to get past the work that was going on. I must be confusing the two.

Hi Philip and Marky

Philip, I have dug out the black and white slides I took of Scott's Mill and I see the year was 1967 so the old tower mill was in existence that year. The photos of the tower mill are unfortunately on the dark side. I also took a couple of photographs of old millstones that were on the premises. Is Scott's Mill still there? If so, I assume the millstones are still there as well. Another thing is that one of the photos I took was of one of the line illustrations in Griffiths' History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth which shows Scott's Mill in 1845. I assume the building shown to the right of the tower mill is Grove Cottage.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Philip and Marky

Philip, I have dug out the black and white slides I took of Scott's Mill and I see the year was 1967 so the old tower mill was in existence that year. The photos of the tower mill are unfortunately on the dark side. I also took a couple of photographs of old millstones that were on the premises. Is Scott's Mill still there? If so, I assume the millstones are still there as well. Another thing is that one of the photos I took was of one of the line illustrations in Griffiths' History of the Royal and Ancient Park of Toxteth which shows Scott's Mill in 1845. I assume the building shown to the right of the tower mill is Grove Cottage.

Chris
    I believe the millstones went into the Large Objects Store at Liverpool Museum about 1985.

Default Another Wavertree Mill

Quote Originally Posted by ghughesarch View Post
    The illustrations in Kev's post are (L-R, top to bottom):
    Wavertree 1909;
    Springfield Mill, Walton Road 1919 (built about 1800, demolished in the 1920s or 30s);
    Limekiln Lane (i.e. Lime Street Station site) 1771;
    Springfield Mill again;
    Wavertree c1895;
    There was also a Mill in Wellington Rd, Wavertree. It was on the site of Bisley St and Wimbledon Street close to the railway line

Here's the mill from 2004...I bet it's had some major additions over the years.

Name:	Mill_Feb_2004.jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	2700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mill_June_2004.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	2701  

PhilipG

I thought the building I was thinking of was visible in Grain Street, near Mill Street end. I accept you are correct...I must admit I didn't pay too much attention to old buildings or their precise locations, when I was younger. I think I'll have to invest in some maps.
    I passed the area in the 1970s when there was some work going on (between Harlow Street and Grain Street). I used to have to walk in the road to get past the work that was going on. I must be confusing the two.
    Marky, there's probably nothing wrong with your memory, because it sounds like perhaps that was when the Mission Hall was demolished.
    It was on the corner of Mill Street and Grain Street (next to Grove Cottage), and can be seen on the B&W photo at the top of the Grove Cottage article.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 05-01-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Springfield Mill, Walton Road in 1919 and the same scene in the 1980s from the book then and now and an 07 view.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

This is the now view.

Name:	Springfield mill 07.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	295.3 KB 
ID:	2858  

Burrough's Gardens Mill 1869 and an 07 view, I know what was much nicer.

For a view of the opposite corner, see message 80 in the flats and maisonettes topic in the housing thread.

Name:	Burroughs gdns mill 1869.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	2859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burroughs 07.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	2860  

Scotland Road mill in 1947 and a now view. This is the stretch from Silvester street to Woodstock street and where the Honky Tonk aka Dolly Hickies stood for many years. The 1st pic is from the LRO.

Name:	Scottie mill 1947.jpg 
Views:	978 
Size:	971.8 KB 
ID:	2861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scottie mill 07.jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	673.9 KB 
ID:	2862  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast