Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Quotes

Blog Entries

Exclamation Liverpool Quotes

Quotes

JOHN, by the grace of God, King of England, to all his faithful people who have desired to have burgages at the township of Liverpul, greeting. No ye that we have granted to all who have taken burgages at Liverpul that they shall have all liberties and free customs which any free borough on the sea has in our land.
    King John, August 28, 1207
    In the evening, especially when the sailors are gathered in great numbers, these streets present a most singular spectacle, the entire population of the vicinity being seemingly turned into them. Hand organs and fiddles, plied by strolling musicians, mix with the songs of the seamen, the babble of women and children and the wining of beggars. From the various boarding houses, proceed the noise of revellry.
    Herman Melville, 1839
    I had a dream. I found myself in a dirty, sooty city. It was night and winter; and dark and raining. I was in Liverpool. In the centre was a round pool; in the middle of it a small island. On it stood a single tree; a magnolia in a shower of reddish blossoms. It was as though the tree stood inthe sunlight, and were, at the same time, the source of light. Everything was extremely unpleasant; black and opaque - just as I felt then. But I had an vision of unearthly beauty . . . and that’s why I was able to live at all. Liverpool is the pool of life.
    Carl Jung, philosopher, 1961
    Liverpool Cathedral is one of the great buildings of the world. Suddenly one realises that the greatest art of architecture, that compels reverance, but also lifts one up, and turns one into a king, is the art of enclosing space.
    John Betjeman, poet laureate, BBC broadcast 1970
    My love of New York, is something to do with Liverpool. There is the same quality of energy in both cities.
    John Lennon, 1971
    A good place to wash your hair, Liverpool - good, soft water.
    George Harrison, 1977
    Liverpool is full of the kind of people who go out on Monday and couldn’t care less about Tuesday morning.
    Jan Molby, Liverpool FC, 1985
    The time to believe in peras-troika (openness) is when a Russian pop group plays in Liverpool.
    President Ronald Regan, speaking to students in Moscow, 1987
    I’ve got a plan to revolution-ise art in this city. I’d like Liverpool to host a national congress of artists - much better than festivals which only last a week.
    Arthur Dooley, sculptor, 1989
    Liverpool has meant everything to me from the very beginning.
    Libor Pesek KBE, conductor, Liverpool Philharmonic, 1995
    We may not live in Liverpool, but our whole life is there. You’ve got to understand that we are still very clannish. All our cousins, nieces, nephews, are still in Liverpool and it’s still like a village there. Most of my friends are still in Liverpool and nothing goes on there without me knowing about it.
    Cilla Black, 1996
    The magic of Liverpool is that it isn’t England. We are global and we have learned to tolerate and respect each other’s traditions. As such, we are a national asset.
    Margaret Simey, 1999
    Liverpool was a commercial rather than industrial centre: a place of shipping insurance and banking. And each of these interests owned a building and wanted to promote it. There was tremendous rivalry and a great deal of innovation and experimentation.
    Professor Quentin Hughes, architectural historian and author, 2000
    Liverpool made me what I am - it kept my feet on the ground.
    Paul McCartney, 2002
    You’ll never walk alone was not by the Beatles and it wasn’t even Merseybeat, but it became synonymous with the Liverpool sound. It’s still sung to this day, of course, but to watch the Kop in the Sixties in all its scarf waving celebration of civic solidarity was to witness something extraordinary. It used to move me to tears.
    Gerry Marsden, singer, 2002
    This is my home town. The place where I was born and where I belong.
    Ken Dodd, 2003
    It’s stunning the way the city has been transformed and every time I come back I feel so proud. Our historic buildings - the finest collection of civic buidings in Europe - are being looked after like never before. And there has been so much development -the waterfront, for example, looks wonderful. And all this rubs off on the people.
    Peter Sissons, 2003
    Liverpool will become a cultural beacon of the world. Capital of culture is a wonderful accolade It is fabulous. You are a wonderful city. I am so glad you won.
    Tessa Jowell, culture secretary, June 2003

Have you got any? Do you know of any more quotes by famous people?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gnomie

Hey there cool Kev , anymore?

here`s one..........

"ay soft lad geroffa da tree now" my dad in the 1970`s to me

Gnomie

I think this is right

Liverpool is second in my heart only to London...Charles ****ens

Gnomie

OMG it wont let me write his name .. you know who i mean

Blog Entries

Charles D1ckens Its the word censor doing its job.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gnomie

cheers kev

Blog Entries

No probs
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Daniel Defoe

There is no town in England, London excepted, that can equal Liverpool for the fineness of the streets, the beauty of the buildings; many of the houses are all of stone and the rest (the new part) of brick.

Daniel Defoe, A Tour Through the Whole Island of Great Britain (1724)

Atkinson Grimshaw
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Smile

Here's one or three Kev

"And so the beautiful sequence of buildings which stands for Liverpool's most deliberate piece or architectural aestheticism is really a testimony to the beauty-disregarding spirit of naked utilitarianism which her endless and imminent activities have made inevitable"
    Walter Dixon Scott 1907 - on St George's Hall

"Liverpool is the Pool of Life"
    Carl Gustav Jung

"I have never seen any place like Liverpool. Liverpudlians are proud of their birth place, not only for its history, supremacy as a sea port, delightful situation and surroundings, but because of its preeminence of its merchant princes and citizens stability, integrity, progressiveness and humour".
    Recollections of a Liverpudlian, 1908

"..if Liverpool did not exist, it would have to be invented"
    Myrbach

"Siena, Liverpool, Kyoto, Manhattan are examples of natural cities. Levittown, Chandigarh and the British New Towns are examples of artificial cities"
    from the classic text 'A City is not a Tree' (1965)
    Christopher Alexander

"This commercial intercourse of the inhabitants, induces a general harmony and sociability, unclouded by those ceremonies and distinctions that are met with in more polished life; hence the freedom and animation which the town has always been observed to possess"
    Moss: Liverpool Guide 1796

A.D.Williams

The Mersey is well known as the river which made Liverpool a port, which separates Lancashire from Cheshire and which gave its name to the Mersey Sound. It begins life far inland, though does not appear as a name on a map until it reaches the old town of Stockport, where the River Tame unites with the Goyt and the Etherow to form the young Mersey.

Quoted from The River Mersey by Ron Freethy.

Thumbs down

Found this ''what a supprise''

I love to visit Liverpool...to see my hubcaps.
    -- Bernard Manning

FKoE

Quote Originally Posted by LIPA
    Found this ''what a supprise''

I love to visit Liverpool...to see my hubcaps.
    -- Bernard Manning

Its a shame he has to travel to Wythenshaw to see the burnt out shell of his Jag from whence his beloved hubcaps came eh? , his Bose speakers and cd player are somewhere in Bolton, in the back of a Fiat Uno.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE
    Its a shame he has to travel to Wythenshaw to see the burnt out shell of his Jag from whence his beloved hubcaps came eh? , his Bose speakers and cd player are somewhere in Bolton, in the back of a Fiat Uno.
    LOL
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

FKoE

Ida B. Wells, was an Afro-American civil rights activist, a suffragist, and author : Wikipedia entry<<

Ida visited Liverpool in 1894. She wrote about the experience in her autobiography, Crusade for Justice (1928)

She wrote of Liverpool:

Liverpool has learned that she can prosper with out the slave trade or slave labour. Her docks are crowded with ships from all parts of the world. And the city, with its population of six hundred thousand souls, is one of the most prosperous in the United Kingdom.

Her freedom-loving citizens not only subscribe to the doctrine that human beings regardless of colour or condition are equal before the law, but they practice what they preach. Here a coloured person can ride in any sort of conveyance in any part of the country without being insulted; stop in any hotel or be accommodated at any restaurant one wishes without being refused with contempt; wander into any picture gallery, lecture room, concert hall, theatre or church and receive only the most courteous treatment from officials and fellow sightseers.

<<Source>>

Quote Originally Posted by FKoE

My ald fellas 76 years old.... and he says, you need to have a word with yourself.
    I reckon this takes some beating!
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast