Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Jennifer - Great Homer Street

'oller was in common use after world war2 spaces between houses caused by the Lutwaffe were called 'Bombed 'ollers'.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Ollers and bombdies.
    enogs, jiggers, or entries.

Yes 'Oller' was very common during my childhood. Sorry, I just assumed everyone knew what it meant.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yes 'Oller' was very common during my childhood. Sorry, I just assumed everyone knew what it meant.
    I was brought up in Bromborough and Southport, and hadn't heard of them before I came to Liverpool.

We had a 'bombed oller' or 'bommie' in White Rock Street in place of numbers 40 & 42 but I can not remember a bomb falling on them.
    The space came in handy every bonfire night though

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

According to the latest Move Commercial magazine work sont start till early 2009 with a mid 2011 completion date for the whole scheme.

Full plans here

http://www.greathomerstreet.co.uk/ghs_web/plans.aspx

It’s get-tough time in battle for Scottie Rd
    Jun 6 2008
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

TOUGH legal powers to buy up land could be used to finally kickstart the revival of an historic Liverpool community.

Project Jennifer, a £150m scheme to transform desperately deprived streets around Scotland Road, was given the go-ahead 18 months ago.

But the ambitious idea, which will see rundown houses, shops and warehouses demolished, has barely got started because Liverpool council has not managed to buy all the land needed.

Councillors were today being asked to agree a compulsory purchase order (CPO) to force landowners to sell up so the 39-acre site can be handed over to developer St Modwen.

The council believes it has a strong case for a CPO because so many shops and businesses are empty and in a poor condition.

Officials warned the scheme may not get under way at all without the CPO.

If everything goes to plan, Project Jennifer should start next summer with work concentrating on a new supermarket, library, health centre, market hall, shops and flats.

Once finished in August 2012, some 740 jobs will have been created.

There are still a number of residents living in mostly derelict housing in the Marwood Triangle area between Great Homer Street and Scotland Road. They include seven homeowners in Skirving Street, who want to move en-masse to keep their community together, and mostly elderly tenants living in maisonettes in Skirving Place.

They say their lives have become a nightmare because empty, boarded-up flats are a target for yobs.

Philip Regan, 36, is one of only three people living on his floor of maisonettes.

The others are his grandmother Mary Connolly and long-time neighbour Rita Murphy, who are both 85.

He said: “We are Scottie Road through and through. We were born here and want to stay in the area.

“My grandmother and Mrs Murphy need bungalows and I want a two-bedroom house with a small garden. But we keep being told there are none available.

“No-one knows what we are going through. We feel like outcasts. We cannot go out at night because of the gangs and are scared to go out during the day in case someone realises our flats are empty.”

Source: Liverpool Echo

Blog Entries

A £150m transformation of north Liverpool will be pushed through with compulsory purchase powers following council approval yesterday.

The “Project Jennifer” scheme will transform 39 acres of land around Great Homer Street and Scotland Road.

It has been described as the biggest ever face-lift for that part of the city and will create 740 new full time jobs.

Preferred developers St Modwen welcomed the proposed compulsory purchase order, describing it as a “key milestone” for the project.

The development will create 481 new homes, a 10,000 sq m superstore, a new library and a purpose-built site for Paddy’s Market.

Liverpool City Council said the existing shopping centre is dilapidated and trading poorly.

The idea of developing the area was first mooted five years ago, when the council invited developers to submit proposals for the area.

The scheme was approved by councillors in August, 2005, and a planning application was lodged in November the same year.

Negotiators from St Modwen have been approaching businesses in the area to smooth out relocation and compensation agree-ments.

Last year the developers spent £10m acquiring four industrial estates for businesses whose current property is earmarked for development.

Chris Fox, project director at St Modwen, said: “By starting in advance of the official CPO, we intended to make the process smoother by gaining an early understanding of people’s requirements.

“This will help businesses make seamless transitions to new premises and allow us to move ahead with our plans for a new and improved Great Homer Street.”

There are around 60 commercial properties that are in the area under the CPO.

Liverpool City Council’s executive member for assets and development, Cllr Peter Millea, said ordering the CPO would not mean the council would “go in with boots on”.

He told the Daily Post: “I’m hoping this will help speed up the scheme.

“People in the area have been waiting for some time for things to happen. But it doesn’t mean we will go in there with big boots on and say ‘we’re having that’.

“It’s a huge area and it’s been a scar on the landscape in that there’s been so much dereliction and blight on the community. This is the best way to bring better facilities.”

Work is due to begin in summer 2009 and will take three years to complete.

benschofield
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default CPOs

Why do our Council and planning department have so much trouble using CPOs to push along schemes?
    These are a run of the mill tool regularly used by councils everywhere, everyday yet ours often seem unaware that they exist until too late.
    Does anyone have any idea why that should occur in Liverpool?

Some of us don't want to be CPO'd. My family have owned a property there for 50 years or more. A thriving business is run from the building yet the council are trying to CPO it and offering about 2 years rent...I don't want to sell, the business doesn't want to move......what do they want to build on my land? Oh yeah, a car park......good deal hey????

It's a tough one certainly and I can sympathise to a degree with those objective to a CPO. It's always easier to see the "greater good" arguement when you're not the one being told to move.

On balance though, I support the project and therefore have to support the CPO.

There may be some thriving businesses in the area, but it's certainly not a thriving community.

I hope you can get a happy resolution and find a location nearby where you can still operate.

Not on the money they are offering for the site! So that will be 4 people made redundant, a loss of amenity to the local residents and a loss of steady income for me..and all for a car park! Appeal you say ? Oh yeah, the appeals chairman is the ex- vicar of the church who want my land for the car park..no chance!

Blog Entries

DEVELOPER St Modwen and Liverpool council will hold a meeting on Friday to update residents on the progress of a ?150m regeneration scheme. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Be nice if it included EFC's new stadium
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

A MAJOR supermarket chain is in negotiations with a developer that could save a ?150m regeneration project in North Liverpool, the Daily Post has learned.

Developer St Modwen says the grocer could sign up to the 43-acre scheme on Great Homer Street by Christmas.

The so-called Project Jennifer has fallen seven months behind schedule since supermarket giant Tesco pulled out.

Those behind the redevelopment hope it will create 480 new homes, 740 new full-time jobs and improved health facilities.

Michelle Taylor, St Modwen?s regional director, said last night: ?After an awful lot of time and effort, we were not able to achieve board approval from Tesco and we had remarketed the whole scheme and happily we are now in discussions with another food store operator.

?We need a food store operator signed up to move forward successfully with the scheme.

?We are spending all our efforts to secure that food store, and have come a long way in a short space of time.?

The supermarket will be 113,000 sq m and is described as an ?anchor? to the project because the scheme would falter without it.

Ms Taylor said St Modwen started looking for a new anchor in March. The developer had hoped to secure a compulsory purchase order for the site in May this year, but that can only happen once a superstore is onboard.

Ms Taylor briefed Great Homer Street residents at a public meeting. Bishop Thomas Williams chaired the meeting, which was attended by Jayne Hettle, Liverpool City Council?s assistant executive director for development, and Everton ward councillor Jane Corbett.

Cllr Corbett said: ?It was a good meeting, with good attendance.?

benschofield
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast