Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help please; what was on the corner of Lord St and Whitechapel before Mothercare?

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Thought it had. I remember Park Road being a busy bustling shopping area. How times change. I wonder if the new Tesco will help around there.
    When I was young Mum and I shopped there every day ! ( we lived just off High Park Street), as we didnt have a fridge etc we had to shop for food all the time, it was a very busy Road and full of every sort of shop that you could ever need....my Uncle ran a Butchers shop which was never empty....
    The Leo's supermarket was built on the site of our old house, the best time was when the Market appeared on the car park space there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    When I was young Mum and I shopped there every day ! ( we lived just off High Park Street), as we didnt have a fridge etc we had to shop for food all the time, it was a very busy Road and full of every sort of shop that you could ever need....my Uncle ran a Butchers shop which was never empty....
    The Leo's supermarket was built on the site of our old house, the best time was when the Market appeared on the car park space there
    It's like Borough Road in Seacombe, that used to be good shopping, King Street Wallasey, another good road. Where does it go wrong.

It's like Borough Road in Seacombe, that used to be good shopping, King Street Wallasey, another good road. Where does it go wrong.
    I dont know Pabs !, I went through King Street and Borough Road recently !, it looks so empty very sad !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    I dont know Pabs !, I went through King Street and Borough Road recently !, it looks so empty very sad !
    Borough Road is all housing now and King Street has been run down for years. Similar thing happening to Walton Road.

George

didnt think that Ethels was there before Mothercare though !
    It was her biggest outlet in the town center,next came One in St Johns Precinct and anothe in Bold Street...ain't the foggiest where the fourth one was? might of been up London Rd? because summats nagging me it was there.

Blog Entries

Was it on the left going up London Road where the arcade is now?

George

You could try it and be sure?
    What you're seeing on Gooogle now is a small chain of EA's franchise as she went into difficulty and lost the buisiness,stores and branches closed until someone bailed her out...by that time half her outlets were gone and never reopened.

I can see why her indoors thought she had a branch on North John Street corner.... Seems Liverpools head office was there.

George

Was it on the left going up London Road where the arcade is now?
    Thats it...yer have lit the sparkler

Quentin_Sharples

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    Can anyone remember what shop or shops occupied the building before Mothercare and later Gap were present on the corner of Lord Street and Whitechapel? I know its a long shot but does anyone have a photo? Thanks very much
    Nice photo, Dazza.
    Hope Bros were Gent Outfitters and were still there in the 1960s.
    (No, I don't actually remember, but I've got a street directory.)
    I don't know if the new building was built for them, Mothercare, or somebody in-between.

Borough Road is all housing now and King Street has been run down for years. Similar thing happening to Walton Road.
    So many good shopping roads now like ghost towns; Walton rd as you say, Townsend Lane - half derelict. St Marys rd Garston - I believe is like a ghost town, Lodge lane - just not what it was. Wavertree rd - half derelict ! Granby st - a ghost town, an so on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    So many good shopping roads now like ghost towns; Walton rd as you say, Townsend Lane - half derelict. St Marys rd Garston - I believe is like a ghost town, Lodge lane - just not what it was. Wavertree rd - half derelict ! Granby st - a ghost town, an so on.
    Worse one is London Road and up into Kensington. Dreadfull. Breck Road is pretty bad now isn't it?

yeah, although Breck still has a lot of shops it's gone scruffy. the 'shopping mall' is the pits !

Blog Entries

yeah, although Breck still has a lot of shops it's gone scruffy. the 'shopping mall' is the pits !
    I thought that was coming down a few years ago.

I don't know.

I remember when they built the new shopping mall in the early 1980's, it was alright with brand new shops.
    It stayed ok for a while, then the vandalism and graffiti crept in. It's a scruffy hole now and gangs hang around there.

Blog Entries

I don't know.

I remember when they built the new shopping mall in the early 1980's, it was alright with brand new shops.
    It stayed ok for a while, then the vandalism and graffiti crept in. It's a scruffy hole now and gangs hang around there.
    I was in Liverpool yesterday and was horrified to see the amount of young lads in black tracksuits. There seems to be some kind of uniform thing going on. We don't seem to have that over here. How come none of them seem to have jobs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast