Thread: o'toole family

Default o'toole family

i am looking for any information, regarding my great grandparents, they came to liverpool from dublin, and lived in the bootle area, thier names where james and mary o'toole, they had 5 daughters, mary, margaret, ann or annie, catherine or kathleen, and veronica(my grandmother 17 feb 1913). i do know that when my grandmother was 5 my great grandmother died giving birth to a baby boy(was told she was in her 30s) who also died about 1918, soon after my great grandfather remarried(told about 6 weeks atfer if true or not i dont know), 3 of the girls i dont know which 3 though was sent to nazareth house convent, my grandmother was sent to live with her aunt sarah my great grand mothers sister who was a spinster, off scotland road, dont know what happened to the other girl, i presume she also went to live with aunt sarah, if anyone has any more information i would be greatful. my grandmother married william hughes(born aug 1911) around 1933 and had 8 children. any information about my grandad would be appreciated also, i dont know much just that my great granddad was robert hughes, my granddad had 3 sisters, sarah(sally), hannah, catherine(who were put in a orphanage when great granddad remaried) my granddad ran away from hame at 14 about 1925 to live with an aunt in st helens. he was in the army, worked at bootle docks, he had also worked kirkby industrial est, i think the munitions factory( i dont know the dates or which order)

thanks
    chris

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

One of my relatives was a Hannah Hughes but I do not know anything about her background, we never spoke of such things. I think she probably married about 1918.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hello Chris,
    I cannot give much info only to clarify the names of James and Mary,s children
    1911 census
    James O,Toole b 1872 Cotton porter born Liverpool
    Mary " " " 1872 " Liverpool
    Margaret " 1905 "
    Mary 1905 "
    Annie 1907 Bootle
    Catherine 1910 "
    55 Boreland St Bootle

1891 census shows your gg/grandparents
    Michael O,Toole b 1835 Ireland
    Margaret " 1844 "
    Martin " 1870 Liverpool
    * James * " 1872
    Catherine " 1875
    Margaret " 1877
    Thomas " 1881
    Mary A " 1885
    Living at 38 Audley St, Walton-on-the-Hill
    Regards
    Dot

hi ronijayne
    thanks for the information, im not sure but i think my hannah hughes may have only been a young girl in 1918,

chris

hi dot
    i was told my james and mary came from dublin, but these do look like they are my relatives, all the information seems to fit, that is brilliant and you have been a big help and im really greatfull, can i ask how you came about the information.

again thank you
    chris

Hi Chris,
    I just worked back from the 1911 census with the names you gave, on the 1901 census they were living in labourer dwellings cazneu st no children at that point, family tales can get a bit mixed up, a distant reative of mine was told our ggg/grandfather was pushed down the stairs in a fit of temper because he did,nt make a hat quick enough, when she got the death cert he died of TB, the Irish births are right but a generation earlier.
    Dot

hi dot
    thanks for that, everything point to them being my ancestors just a couple of minor details which like you said can get mixed up, there is too many simularities for them not to be, do you know where some of these streets would have been, and do you know how i could find my gg mothers maiden name, thank you once again for your help, it has brought a lot of light on my family tree in fact more than i hoped for whith my gg grandparents.

thanks
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by chughes1964 View Post
    hi ronijayne
    thanks for the information, im not sure but i think my hannah hughes may have only been a young girl in 1918,

chris
    Pleasure. I only mentioned it as Hannah had a daughter she named Veronica and I heard at least one of her relatives or in-laws was in a convent. Actually, Hannah was my grandmother!

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Hi Chris,
    I just worked back from the 1911 census with the names you gave, on the 1901 census they were living in labourer dwellings cazneu st no children at that point, family tales can get a bit mixed up, a distant reative of mine was told our ggg/grandfather was pushed down the stairs in a fit of temper because he did,nt make a hat quick enough, when she got the death cert he died of TB, the Irish births are right but a generation earlier.
    Dot
    Where do you get that info though Dot. I just went into that BMD site which was given on here but it just gives me names, no info. In fact it says my grandfather married a Hannah Eughes!!!! They must have hit the wrong typewriter key,

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Where do you get that info though Dot. I just went into that BMD site which was given on here but it just gives me names, no info. In fact it says my grandfather married a Hannah Eughes!!!! They must have hit the wrong typewriter key,
    Hi Ronijayne,
    The BMD is for ordering certs, the info i gave to Chris was from the census,s give me some info on who you are looking for and i,ll look it up.
    Dot

Quote Originally Posted by dot View Post
    Hi Ronijayne,
    The BMD is for ordering certs, the info i gave to Chris was from the census,s give me some info on who you are looking for and i,ll look it up.
    Dot
    Oh thanks. My niece is doing our family tree but I am not convinced she has the right info.

Charles Gilroy, Hannah Hughes

great news a cousin i didnt know about read a post on another site and got in touch his granmother was annie o'toole my grandmothers sister, his mum knows loads about the o'tooles, my great grandmother was mary ellen redmond and this is what he has told me so far,

There where actually 5 girls, Veronica being the youngest, Margaret (Maggie), Mary, Annie & Kate.
    Our great grandma's maiden name was actually Mary Ellen Redmond, she had siblings Tom, Sarah and Marcella. she married James Lawrence O'Toole in Bootle.They owned a grocery shop in Boreland St, Bootle which Mary ran. He worked as a shipping clerk for Howland and Wolfe, he must of been very good at his job as he was R.C. and they only generally employed C.O.E. . They had a pretty good quality of life, some of the girls received private music tuition at home. Mary didnt actually die during child birth, but whilst she was carrying child she died of the 1918 Flu epidemic, and the child died with her, (apparently she may of conceived upto 15 kids, she lost atleast 2 boys and a girl within 10 months of each other.) This was when James placed 2 of their daughters into the convent, my nan Annie and Kate, the other girls remained with him, but he struggled to cope. He did remarry, and his main reason for this was to get the girls out of the convent and back home. We only know her as Mrs. Sutcliffe, who lived in the same street as them and helped out with the kids when james was working, it seems she was quite keen to claim him as hers though, apparently she had said to her neighbours that he would be her next husband and sure enough, she had her way, although it sounds like he only married her out of duty as she claimed she was pregnant, but didnt actually have kids until later in the relationship. Veronica went to live with her aunt Marcella in Elden Rd off Scotland Rd, she couldnt of lived with her aunt Sarah as she was blind and also had a family of her own. My mum remembers going to Aunt Sarahs.
    James died 18 months after Mary.left no will and everything he had went to wicked step mother including sovereigns and savings, as she later paid an aunt £25 to take the girls, she had kids of her own who didnt get on with James. And I recently recieved my ggrandparents marriage cert and his fathers names was denis o'toole on the cert he is recorded as being deceased and ocupation as a time keeper, i cannot find anything on any census with denis o'toole, can anyone help.

thanks

chris