Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    Commendable and does need to be looked at, but its a pity that money seems to be the drive behind it.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-23246679/

And it wasnt the family that cleared George Kellys name, it was George Skelly and Lou Santangeli.

Totally agree with you! The daughter is a stepdaughter. I believe the women who George Kelly was living with at the time he was hanged is her mother. I could be totally wrong - but this is my recollection. I knew this was about compensation. Why should they get money out of this tragedy.
    The two people who should be recognised are George Skelly and Lou Santageli, but I doubt either would be looking for some financial reward.

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Totally agree with you! The daughter is a stepdaughter. I believe the women who George Kelly was living with at the time he was hanged is her mother. I could be totally wrong - but this is my recollection. I knew this was about compensation. Why should they get money out of this tragedy.
    The two people who should be recognised are George Skelly and Lou Santageli, but I doubt either would be looking for some financial reward.
    I assure you they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    I assure you they are not.
    That goes without saying - George Skelly is a great bloke and from what I've heard and read so is Lou S. I was in email contact with GS for a while, and then lost my email address book after an IT melt down.

Do you know for sure about the "daughter"?

Last edited by Famous Scouser; 07-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.

the daughter of Doris O'Malley?

No, somebody else.

Default Harryboy

This is all confusing to me. the 2 books on the Cameo case seem to tell different stories. For example, Shortall's book seems to say Connolly was guilty. How can this be when he was cleared along with kelly in the appeal court

Default harryboy

And why have the Kelly family dragged all of this up again? I thought the daughter had been compensated. Also, if the 2 men have been cleared 6 years ago, why are they now asking for a public Inquiry,What's there to inquire about?

Seems they want to enquire about money Harry. As for Shortall, your reading the wrong book. The definitive is "The Cameo conspiracy" by George Skelly.

Barry Shortalls book is incorrect, came after George Skellys and of course does not have the pedigree that the 1st book and its author has. The true story of the Cameo case is as outlined in "The Cameo Conspiracy" and nowhere else.

There is a myth that Charles Conolly turned Kings evidence and therefore Kelly must have committed the crime. Imagine, you are Charlie and I am Kelly. We get split into 2 and our cases are heard seperately. I get tried for murder, found guilty and sentenced to death. Next week its your turn to go on trial but your legal team approach you and suggest a deal that if you plead guilty to Robbery, then you will get 10 years. If you dont, you will be tried for murder and take your chances. What are you gonna do Harry................course you are, the same as what Charlie Connolly did!
    Last edited by Famous Scouser; 03-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Default Harryboy

Thanks for that Scouse. I've read the two books and i agree Skelly's is the best. So because of the won appeals i reckon Shortall must have been talking though his hat. and if the daughter has had the compo how can it be about money, unless the other relations are looking for the same.

Default Misled

Thats how I remember it. The police paid connolly a visit in Gaol and the police told him that was the deal. I have read the book by Skelly and I am also versed in the oral account of the Kelly conspiracy and the role of the Liverpool echo. Kelly was labeled little ceaser of the underworld and portrayed as a big time gangster. The public where misled and the result was that Kelly in many peoples eyes was hung rightly thats why a pardon took so long. Regards an enquiry will the Kelly family seek help from Skelly? I think perhaps they should.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

I wonder how many of the George Kelly's immediate family are still alive.

Does anyone know if Kathleen Hughes is George Kelly's biological child. My understanding is that he was never married, nor have I read of any children he fathered.

Think you've got your facts mixed up there Paddy.
    The police had nothing to do with pressure on Connolly to plead guilty to robbery (even if no money was actually stolen). Skelly says in his book It was a deal made between the barristers and the judge, after Kelly had been sentenced to death. And this has been borne out by the Appeal Court if you read it.

Paddy, I don't think Skelly will be too keen to help the Kelly family now, especially, since mentioned elsewhere on this site by Famous Scouser, that they did not even say Thank You to him or Lou Santangeli for clearing Kelly's name, nor invite them to the funeral. And I wouldn't blame him. By the way, what do you mean by the "oral history" and the Echo?

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    I wonder how many of the George Kelly's immediate family are still alive.

Does anyone know if Kathleen Hughes is George Kelly's biological child. My understanding is that he was never married, nor have I read of any children he fathered.
    Seems there are quite a few of them around but not necessarilly in the pool. He was married once though and it was short lived. No comment re his "daughter".

People really should avoid Shortalls book. It is nothing less than a badly written work of fiction that has perpetuated many false beliefs that surround the Cameo case . If you intend to read it, then you will be wasting your time. If you want the truth, read George Skellys book......if you can find a copy!
    Last edited by Famous Scouser; 03-28-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast