Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Chris48

Peter, I have sent you a private message.

I find this case absolutely fascinating. The Cameo murders were something I heard about all my life - particularly as George Kelly's family contininued trying to have the case reopened.

I then read George Skelly's book - excellent. I am quite convinced that the two men were set up by Balmer. Charles Connolly admitted to the crime - after George Kelly was sentenced to death - at a separate trial. Basically his legal counsel hinted that being sentenced to death would likely happen to him also. Therefore I'm not surprised he "admitted" to the crime. After I had read the book, I emailed George and he emailed back - great bloke and author with a sense of justice most of us lack.

A couple of months ago I was telling my friend about the book and the story behind it. She then asked if I remembered Charles Connolly who came into the local grocers regularly. She said he was a very dour man quite nasty. I believe he lived in St Oswald's Gardens. I don't remember him. Given what the poor man had been through, no wonder he appeared not to like people.

Chris48

I never met Charles Connolly unfortunately but I believe that he was a very nice man, a gentle giant who wasn't bitter but wanted the truth to be told. George Skelly will tell you the same as will Lou Santangeli who were both instrumental in reviewing and presenting buried evidence that subsequently overturned the convictions. You must also read the Appeal notes at

Search results for: kelly

Balmer lied and the appeal judges have recognised that. He has also done the same in another infamous murder case whereby 2 innocent men were hanged but I'll let George tell you all about that in his next book. The shame of it is that in this year of culture, Liverpool City Council have named Bert Balmer as one of the 800 people that shaped this city for what it is!

The Cameo Conspiracy really was that, a Conspiracy. George Skelly is a hero as far as I am concerned and his book is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    I never met Charles Connolly unfortunately but I believe that he was a very nice man, a gentle giant who wasn't bitter but wanted the truth to be told. George Skelly will tell you the same as will Lou Santangeli who were both instrumental in reviewing and presenting buried evidence that subsequently overturned the convictions. You must also read the Appeal notes at

Search results for: kelly

Balmer lied and the appeal judges have recognised that. He has also done the same in another infamous murder case whereby 2 innocent men were hanged but I'll let George tell you all about that in his next book. The shame of it is that in this year of culture, Liverpool City Council have named Bert Balmer as one of the 800 people that shaped this city for what it is!

The Cameo Conspiracy really was that, a Conspiracy. George Skelly is a hero as far as I am concerned and his book is brilliant.
    Hello Chris and burkhilly

While I can't condone what was evidently done, i.e., the "fitting up" of Charles Connolly and George Kelly as the men responsible for the murders at the Cameo Cinema, in a way I kind of understand the way it happened. That is, that the Liverpool police wanted to achieve a quick resolution to the crime, to eradicate what they saw as the introduction of American-style gangster gun crime on Merseyside. So thus, Kelly and Connolly seem to have been made the scapegoats in this situation. That's no excuse for what was done to them but it does kind of explain what occurred. The ironic thing though of course is that the actual crime of 1949 at the Cameo Cinema in Wavertree seems very small and insignificant compared to what has been happening more recently in Liverpool. Hopefully today's crime also can be eradicated, though without hopefully bending the rules of justice!

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hello Chris and burkhilly

While I can't condone what was evidently done, i.e., the "fitting up" of Charles Connolly and George Kelly as the men responsible for the murders at the Cameo Cinema, in a way I kind of understand the way it happened. That is, that the Liverpool police wanted to achieve a quick resolution to the crime, to eradicate what they saw as the introduction of American-style gangster gun crime on Merseyside. So thus, Kelly and Connolly seem to have been made the scapegoats in this situation. That's no excuse for what was done to them but it does kind of explain what occurred. The ironic thing though of course is that the actual crime of 1949 at the Cameo Cinema in Wavertree seems very small and insignificant compared to what has been happening more recently in Liverpool. Hopefully today's crime also can be eradicated, though without hopefully bending the rules of justice!

All the best

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I don't know if it was the crime that was seen as insignificant or if it was Kelly and Connolly that were considered so. They were fitted up and then they got a certain kind of justice that had never been heard of before whereby co-accused had their trials split and Connolly either faced 10 years or certain execution. There has been a lot of rubbish written about Kelly. Whittington -Egan is one of the culprits who has not apologised for what he said in his book "Liverpool Roundabout". George Kelly - The Little Caesar of Lime Street - What a load of rubbish. He was a small time crook and that was all.

Balmer recieved the Kings Police and Fire Service medal in 1950 after this and because of this case. He also got the O.B.E. in 1961. I have personally tried to have those awards rescinded but the Home Office said that they cannot be posthumously withdrawn.

Hopefully today's crime also can be eradicated, though without hopefully bending the rules of justice!

Chris
    I fear that will not happen though Chris. Especially when you see the 'fitting up' of Barry George for the murder of Jill Dando...
    It is Accomplished

in a way I kind of understand the way it happened. That is, that the Liverpool police wanted to achieve a quick resolution to the crime, to eradicate what they saw as the introduction of American-style gangster gun crime on Merseyside.
    I'm sorry Chris but I can't see that fitting up two innocent men and leaving the real gun culprits on the street at large is solving anything. That's like saying jailing Billy bloggs for the Yorkshire ripper murders would have prevented Sutcliffe carrying on his merry way. The gunman/men knew hanging was a probability if caught.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Chris 48

The informtion on Charles Connolly is heresay, because I know that other people described him as a gentle giant.

I totally agree that both these men were set up by the police at that time.

I am absolutely facinated by cases of criminal misjustice, and have spent hours reading judgements on the CCRC website, including GK/CC decision, when the orginal verdict was overturned as it was unsafe.

As I said in my first post the Cameo crime facinates me and it really is a travesty of justice that one man was hanged, whilst the other was in prison for a decade and then spent years trying to clear his name.

Chris48

burkhilly,

welcome to the Cameo fascination club and the George Skelly appreciation society! Its compelling isnt it and it makes me wonder if any of the main players are still alive. Balmer died in 1970 and Jackie Dickson is believed to be dead having moved back to Manchester. Northam is rumoured to have opened a garage in Wallasey but as for the rest such as Graham and and the Johnsons, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    burkhilly,

welcome to the Cameo fascination club and the George Skelly appreciation society! Its compelling isnt it and it makes me wonder if any of the main players are still alive. Balmer died in 1970 and Jackie Dickson is believed to be dead having moved back to Manchester. Northam is rumoured to have opened a garage in Wallasey but as for the rest such as Graham and and the Johnsons, who knows?

I think it's doubtful if any of the main players are still with us, and therefore we'll never know what exactly happened in 1949, wouldn't it be brilliant if someone came forward with definitive evidence.

Saddo that I am I've been to Webster Road, and actually know someone who lives there. I told them about the murders, but she wasn't that interested. I've also been and looked at the various pubs mentioned in GS's book. One by one the pubs seem to be closing and some cases demolished.

I'm not generally facinated by murder just when coupled with injustice.

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    I think it's doubtful if any of the main players are still with us, and therefore we'll never know what exactly happened in 1949, wouldn't it be brilliant if someone came forward with definitive evidence.

Saddo that I am I've been to Webster Road, and actually know someone who lives there. I told them about the murders, but she wasn't that interested. I've also been and looked at the various pubs mentioned in GS's book. One by one the pubs seem to be closing and some cases demolished.

I'm not generally facinated by murder just when coupled with injustice.
    Me too. I've even photographed them all! You may be suprised who is still alive from old cases like that. Can't say too much just in case the Slemen appreciation society are about.

Default I never!

My dad knew George and when he had a pint he would go on and on about him being hung. Now my dad was never in with the criminals or the hard cases and I think it is a good indication, that the oral tradition that kept George?s memory alive was the unassuming Liverpool folklore. So who really hung George? Public opinion I think played the biggest part. The Liverpool Echo had George labeled from the outset and they created a myth that George was the little Caesar of the underworld. I think those who knew George would have challenged that view, people like my Dad who knew him for who and what he was. Georges biggest crime is it seems was to be a smart dresser. I think the book I read in Liverpool Central library sums it all up. The night before they hung him his dad had the last words with him and he said to George ?did you do it lad? and George said ?NO? that?s good enough for me and most Liverpool people.
    Last edited by Paddy; 11-27-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emmagill View Post
    Hi

My name's Emma Gill and George Kelly's my late Great Uncle. He was my Grandma's brother. I am doing a lot of research at the moment into the case. I have just discovered this website and have read some of the members' comments regarding my Uncle Georgie. I am sure I can rely on the knowledge and warmth of all you scoucers with this most importantly if any of you know of any details of the case being made into a film etc.

There is an awful lot that I do know, privately within my family and I wish sometimes it were known publicly of the mental torment and heartbreak endured to my great grandparents and grandparents and great uncles during the trial and after Uncle Georgie's execution. To this day we still carry the scars and heartache in many different ways.

I know there is still a lot of interest in the Cameo Cinema Murder in Liverpool. I don't live in the City but am up there regularly and follow the Mighty Reds all the time. Fingers crossed with Barca next month!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has any thoughts.

All the best.

Emma Gill

Hello I'm brand new here so I hope I'm doing this right.
    My aunt was seventeen when she had a relationship with Kelly (yes I know he was married)and she has since died. She told me that once he took her back to his mothers house for tea where he had made her a cake and had attempted to ''tidy up'' because she was coming . She was very touched by this and smiled recalling that lots of people thought he was very tough and considered ''hard''. My uncle was very concerned about the relationship considering his reputation and warned Kelly off several times. Probably not very useful information but it just shows a side of Kelly that people didn't see. When my aunt died there was a little diary among her effects with a panel cut out of the front with his name written on it .

Default love to know more

wow.. all sounds amazing, I've just been reading a book (Canadian) of a similar story,, read a book called "Cameo Conspiracy". Was just wondering was there ever an investigation done on the two men murdered. Maybe they were into something?
    Quote Originally Posted by emmagill View Post
    Hi

My name's Emma Gill and George Kelly's my late Great Uncle. He was my Grandma's brother. I am doing a lot of research at the moment into the case. I have just discovered this website and have read some of the members' comments regarding my Uncle Georgie. I am sure I can rely on the knowledge and warmth of all you scoucers with this most importantly if any of you know of any details of the case being made into a film etc.

There is an awful lot that I do know, privately within my family and I wish sometimes it were known publicly of the mental torment and heartbreak endured to my great grandparents and grandparents and great uncles during the trial and after Uncle Georgie's execution. To this day we still carry the scars and heartache in many different ways.

I know there is still a lot of interest in the Cameo Cinema Murder in Liverpool. I don't live in the City but am up there regularly and follow the Mighty Reds all the time. Fingers crossed with Barca next month!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has any thoughts.

All the best.

Emma Gill

Default read a book

I just read the book on your Uncle. They ever pin the real murderers? Was there ever an investigation into the two men murdered? Maybe the guys working at the Cameo were into something? The book really got me and I'd love to know anything that was "kept under the table". Just wanted to add how happy I was to see both me exhonerated for something they didn't do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connolly View Post
    Hi Chris my name is Peter Connolly (charlies newphew) I would like to have a chat with you

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast