Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Shall I tell you what's the pretty disturbing aspect of all this, and I really don't mean to be rude--- some of you guys talk as if you owned the Cameo Murders case. Not only owned it but sort of resented anyone else having an opinion about it.
    One might have thought that you'd be quite interested in the novel idea of a script with no big production budget, unlike any proposal for a film, a script designed for small venues on Merseyside which might just have an interesting new take on this enduring controversy.
    Talk about shooting the messenger! Or, I should say, taking aim at him. And missing.

But your the one that owns the "secret" scouse. Your not disclosing any of that are you?

Well, come on Scouse!!
    One the one hand your'e talking about small merseyside venues then on the other Cameo thread your talking about a Broadway production. Now, quite apart from your "secret" (which almost everybody already knows, according to you yourself), how on earth can we take you seriously?!!

Jesus, guys, the crack about Broadway was a joke! When I lived in the Pool we could usually see a joke coming. What's the matter with you people? Can't you see that far now?
    You know, don't you, what the rest of the country sometimes alleges about Liverpool? They say we're insular. They say we look inwards. They say we can't see far to the East of our special Eden.
    And the way you guys pushed your way to the battlements to hurl the crap down at me, who was raised there, suggests they may just be right.
    Of course any play of mine won't get to New York --- hey just a minute, though, it just might if Harryboy goes on helping my case in his warm-hearted way.

Blog Entries

Insular and parochial? Us? Never! This is a local forum for local people and we'll run you out of the village if you suggest otherwise.

Addendum: This is all getting a little bit silly now.

Just put the dam-n play on and those with an interest in it will go and see it, even out of curiosity to see if you've got it right or not, isn't that what critical reviews are all about. Good luck.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thank you one and all. I may just do that. And if you buy a ticket ( no freebies, after all the stuff you've been throwing at me ) and come along, you'll know me --- I'll be the one in the dark glasses and the flak jacket. I reckon I'll recognise Harryboy because he'll be wearing his drama critic's opera cloak. And possibly carrying a dictionary.

Blog Entries

Doesnt anyone think that this subject should be put to rest?

There are still people, who are relatives of the main players in this case, living in Liverpool and they just want to get on with their own lives and not constantly reminded of a nightmare that happened so long ago.

I was a close friend of Charles Connolly and he still has a widow and two sons, very nice people, who do not want his memory to be discussed repeatedly. He name was cleared and that is all they wanted and now to be left alone.

Guys, we've had a bit of fun over the last few days but personally speaking I would hate to feel we had caused any more pain to the people for whom the Cameo affair was a family matter -- and an enduring one at that. I'm sure you all feel the same.
    Last edited by scouse exile; 06-06-2009 at 07:36 PM.

bgkk.rock

maybe....

Default Celebrated "Houdini of Liverpool"

Hi people, it's me again. The guy who dared to write a stage play about the Cameo Cinema murders and got banished to turdtown by the MCCPS (Merseyside Cameo Case Protection Society ). Now then, in that connection, I've returned with a question. One of the central characters of the play is an escapologist ( don't ask ) and he's based on a performer I recall from my youth who used to do an escapology act on bomb sites in the years just after the war. I recall seeing him performing on the Blitz site at the junction of Lord Street and Whitechapel. He would climb into this old Post Office mailbag, an assistant ( lovely or not -- I can't remember ) would wrap him in chains. And he would proceed to try to escape his bonds with loud but muffled grunts of despair while writhing around scattering clouds of dust all over the city centre. Trouble is no one I've spoken to who was also around in those days seems to remember him. And I'm beginning to think I was hallucinating. So can anyone kindly confirm my recollection?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse exile View Post
    Hi people, it's me again. The guy who dared to write a stage play about the Cameo Cinema murders and got banished to turdtown by the MCCPS (Merseyside Cameo Case Protection Society ). Now then, in that connection, I've returned with a question. One of the central characters of the play is an escapologist ( don't ask ) and he's based on a performer I recall from my youth who used to do an escapology act on bomb sites in the years just after the war. I recall seeing him performing on the Blitz site at the junction of Lord Street and Whitechapel. He would climb into this old Post Office mailbag, an assistant ( lovely or not -- I can't remember ) would wrap him in chains. And he would proceed to try to escape his bonds with loud but muffled grunts of despair while writhing around scattering clouds of dust all over the city centre. Trouble is no one I've spoken to who was also around in those days seems to remember him. And I'm beginning to think I was hallucinating. So can anyone kindly confirm my recollection?
    hiya scouse exile,I think the guy you mean is Hughie Smith,there is a bit about him on Gerard Flemings site
    http://liverpooldays.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=7
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Robbo, mate, you're amazing. I've looked him up as you suggested -- and that is the guy I remember. Complete with chains. Not sure that's a Post Office bag, though. Still nice to know I'm not cracking up memory-wise. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse exile View Post
    I bought Jim Elliots book on hughie Smith to read while I was staying in hospital only to find out that I know his family(they lived in my old street) & my uncle Chuck is mentioned in it
    I can highly recommend the book,I've enjoyed reading about him
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

I have it too signed from when I met Jim. My wife's 'Breens' are also mentioned in it.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast