Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

DaisyChains

was there ever a Muder Casebook magazine about the Cameo murders?

I'm not sure...There doesn't seem to be one on the list here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Magazine-Ba...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    Last edited by Mark R; 12-31-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    It is Accomplished

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisk View Post
    Hi Chris, I am aware of the 2003 Judgement particularly page 3 Para 4 " All that evidence was false and probably deliberate so" or page 8 para 27 " Nevertheless when the evidence of Graham at both trials and of CI Balmer at the first trial to the effect that the two had not met in the context of the case prior to 19th September is taken into account, and in the absence of any explanation for such testomony, the conclusuion is that such evidence amounted to deliberate concealment becomes at the least highly likely" or page 25 para 97 "Indeed the lies of Graham and CI Balmer in relation to when they first saw one another in relation to the Cameo murders are are a strong indication of the need for concealment"
    The above quote was mine under an old username. What I have posted was an extract from the court of appeal judgement on the Cameo case and the traversty of justice that occured in this case and resulted in the execution of George Kelly in 1950 and the wrongful conviction of Charles Connolly. The appeal judges said that Chief Inspector Herbert Balmer had lied. Balmer was awarded the Kings police and fire service medal for his meritorious work on this case.....and he lied! He sent an innocent man to his death and another to prison for 10 years. So what I want to know is this.

Why has Liverpool Council included Herbert Balmer in a publication celebrating "800 names of people who helped shape our city"?. Are they proud of what Balmer did? Click on this link, scroll to the very bottom and then count up 17 lines.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-100996.pdf
    Last edited by Chris48; 01-23-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Chris48

I can feel a letter to the Echo coming on here!

DaisyChains

Quote Originally Posted by Chris48 View Post
    Why has Liverpool Council included Herbert Balmer in a publication celebrating "800 names of people who helped shape our city"?. Are they proud of what Balmer did? Click on this link, scroll to the very bottom and then count up 17 lines.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Images/tcm21-100996.pdf

This is utterly disgusting!

Any news on the film plans?

Chris48

George is still busy with the screenplay Daisy and the Cranbourne Road book.

DaisyChains

George is still busy with the screenplay Daisy and the Cranbourne Road book.
    Brilliant!
    Can't wait for both!

Chris48

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    I have just finished reading Mr Skelly's book, and never have I felt so emotional and moved after reading any account of crime (I am a fan of true crime books-morbid I know!)

I just wondered though....Mr Skelly goes into great detail in the book about things people were saying and doing, for instance when Northam, Dickson and Balmer are together concocting statements....how does Mr Skelly know what they said and how those statements were thought up?
    I am not critisising at all, would just be fascinated to know really!!
    It really is a great book isn't it Daisy. It is full of atmosphere and really captured my imagination. George is a good friend of mine and he is very busy with the Cranbourne book. He needs more information about Thomas Rimmer who was the son of the victim. I am researching Balmer and any information would be gratefully received about him.

Hi all

I am presently reading the book The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town by American novelist and former lawyer John Grisham. I would recommend it as a very disturbing but informative account of how police in Oklahoma "fitted up" what they conceived to be "likely suspects" in a couple of murder cases. What occurred was very similar to what the Liverpool police did under Balmer with Kelly and Connolly in the Cameo case and Devlin and Burns in the Cranbourne Road case.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default Cameo Murder

Quote Originally Posted by emmagill View Post
    Hi

My name's Emma Gill and George Kelly's my late Great Uncle. He was my Grandma's brother. I am doing a lot of research at the moment into the case. I have just discovered this website and have read some of the members' comments regarding my Uncle Georgie. I am sure I can rely on the knowledge and warmth of all you scoucers with this most importantly if any of you know of any details of the case being made into a film etc.

There is an awful lot that I do know, privately within my family and I wish sometimes it were known publicly of the mental torment and heartbreak endured to my great grandparents and grandparents and great uncles during the trial and after Uncle Georgie's execution. To this day we still carry the scars and heartache in many different ways.

I know there is still a lot of interest in the Cameo Cinema Murder in Liverpool. I don't live in the City but am up there regularly and follow the Mighty Reds all the time. Fingers crossed with Barca next month!!

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has any thoughts.

All the best.

Emma Gill
    Hello Emma,

I was a kid at the time and apparently George Kelly used to drink in the Leigh Arms at the top of Alfred and Cambridge Street, next to the rail depot. My uncles used to drink in the same pub.There was also a local rumour that the weapon was thrown into the pond at Botanic Park. Just thought I would pass that on.

Chris48

It was more than a rumour that the gun was thrown into Botanic park lake. That suggestion was made to the Police in an anonymous letter to them which was eventually claimed to have been sent by the witnesses Northam and Dickson. The Police drained the lake and searched but never found the gun. It was also claimed that the gun was hidden in the vicinity of the cemetery on Smithdown Road where the birds can only reach it - or words to that effect. The lawyers Livermore and Heilbron took it upon themselves to search the cemetery themselves too.

DaisyChains

It was more than a rumour that the gun was thrown into Botanic park lake. That suggestion was made to the Police in an anonymous letter to them which was eventually claimed to have been sent by the witnesses Northam and Dickson. The Police drained the lake and searched but never found the gun. It was also claimed that the gun was hidden in the vicinity of the cemetery on Smithdown Road where the birds can only reach it - or words to that effect. The lawyers Livermore and Heilbron took it upon themselves to search the cemetery themselves too.
    would be amazing if the gun turned up in the cemetery now!

Chris48

Be a good project for somebody with a metal detector!

Hi Chris my name is Peter Connolly (charlies newphew) I would like to have a chat with you

Hi Chris, my name is Peter Connolly the nephew of charlie connolly I would like to have a chat with you regarding the cameo

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast