Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=218

Have you looked at this site? It's great for info on the A6 Murder.

I can see what you're saying, but personally I don't think there's much of a connection, although I'd never put together the Judge at the A6 murder being the same person who was the prosecuting counsel for the Cameo Murders.

Fact is that the DNA evidence seems to prove that it was Hanratty who was the murderer and rapist, despite there being loads of evidence he was elsewhere at the time of the murder/rape. Whereby there was absolutely nothing whatsoever that ever linked the Cameo murders to George Kelly and Charles Connolly, only fabricated evidence (proved to be so) and so their conviction was quashed as unsafe - and so it should have been.

Burkhilly, I'm surprised you didnt make the connection with Gorman, prosecuting Kelly and Connolly and being the trial judge in the Hanratty case. You've apparently read The Cameo Conspiracy several times, and in that book, the author mentions this fact!
    Incidentally, although Gorman (at the time, the Recorder of Liverpool) was ruthless against Kelly, he was very sympathetic to Hanratty, censuring the jury for coming back numerous times to ask silly questions - and thus prolonging the accused's agony -before finally finding him guilty. I still believe Hanratty was innocent. The DNA findings from Valerie Storey's underwear, was a whitewash. It was several years old and had been contaminated. Also, she had picked out an innocent man at the ID parade before "selecting" Hanratty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dick View Post
    Burkhilly, I still believe Hanratty was innocent. The DNA findings from Valerie Storey's underwear, was a whitewash. It was several years old and had been contaminated. Also, she had picked out an innocent man at the ID parade before "selecting" Hanratty.

My brain only takes in what is absolutely necessary to understand something - great detective I'd make!

With regards to Hanratty I too think the DNA evidence could have been contaminated and the way they tested is dodgy............ and my gut feeling is that he was innocent.

I'm not really a crime buff, but something draws me to the A6 Murder and the Cameo Murders and soon.......the Cranbourne Road Murder.....when George Skelly's book comes out!

Default Drufter

Hi, do you know what the weather was like on that fateful night?
    Was it raining, or foggy? and I know it was 9pm, and March, but how dark was it, and was there a full moon?....I was twelve at the time of this crime, and lived not far from where
    George Kelly lived (I lived just off Crown St), and it always stuck with me, that a man who lived so close to me could be hanged.And be so innocent of said crime.
    I am hoping to finish a picture of the Cinema soon, but for accuracy in capturing the scene
    I need to know what the climate was like that dreadful night.
    Thank You

( DRUFTER)

Default Cameo Author's Very Entertaining Blog

Seeing Captain Kong's alert on another thread some time ago about a blog by George Skelly, author of The Cameo Conspiracy, I finally located it simply by typing into Google, "Skellysworld".
    Having previously read Mr Skelly's book, I was pleasantly surprised to discover from his blog what a wide spectrum of other issues he writes about - and in such an entertaining fashion. He is obviously very politically astute and seems to have a wide knowledge of politics. But he can also be humourous and light- hearted. His frequent satirical despatches from Fantasy Island ["formerly Great Britain" ) are very funny but also a sad comment on the state of Britian today.
    A very amusing, entertaining but also very thoughtful Blog.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=burkhilly;160873]I remember the day of GK's funeral and how cold and wet it was. I didn't go to the cathedral, but knew George Skelly was attending in the hope of being allowed entrance. I also know that he and others outside were barred from entering. It's a real shame that the people responsible for finally clearing GK's name were not allowed to attend.

Hi does anyone remember the exact date of George Kelly`s Funeral at the Cathedral, I need to know, I was there at the time. The explanation will come out in due course.
    Thanks for any information.
    Brian

Hi Brian

It looks like the date of the funeral service at the Metropolitan Cathedral was March 28, 2006.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Chris, I went to the funeral and took photos but I had forgotten the date for them.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    My dad knew George and when he had a pint he would go on and on about him being hung. Now my dad was never in with the criminals or the hard cases and I think it is a good indication, that the oral tradition that kept George?s memory alive was the unassuming Liverpool folklore. So who really hung George? Public opinion I think played the biggest part. The Liverpool Echo had George labeled from the outset and they created a myth that George was the little Caesar of the underworld. I think those who knew George would have challenged that view, people like my Dad who knew him for who and what he was. Georges biggest crime is it seems was to be a smart dresser. I think the book I read in Liverpool Central library sums it all up. The night before they hung him his dad had the last words with him and he said to George ?did you do it lad? and George said ?NO? that?s good enough for me and most Liverpool people.
    my mum was with kellys dad on this final visit

Tell us more Ali. Please!

Hi
    slightly off topic, and I have asked before, without success.
    I need to find out the burial info,ie, cemetery,section and plot
    of both Leonard Thomas and John Bernard Catterall. I have trawled
    the net but all it comes up with is mainly about the Cameo murders
    centered on George, so a little help would be appreciated

Ta

Steve

From memory, both the Manager and Assistant Manager were from other parts of the country. It may be that they are not buried here.
    On another matter, I checked out George Kellys grave a few months back and it has been re vamped wit coloured stone and proper edging but still no grave stone.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    From memory, both the Manager and Assistant Manager were from other parts of the country. It may be that they are not buried here.
    On another matter, I checked out George Kellys grave a few months back and it has been re vamped wit coloured stone and proper edging but still no grave stone.
    OK, thanks for the info. Will pop into Allerton when weather improves.
    It is possible that they, as you say, are buried elswere. Will search ancestry
    and see what I come up with as regards were they were born. Looking at
    the death certs the PM,s were done at 126 smithdown road, which of course
    is the hospital., and the certs are dated 1st April 1950

my mum is colleen dutton

Im interested in what George told your mum Ali.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    OK, thanks for the info. Will pop into Allerton when weather improves.
    It is possible that they, as you say, are buried elswere. Will search ancestry
    and see what I come up with as regards were they were born. Looking at
    the death certs the PM,s were done at 126 smithdown road, which of course
    is the hospital., and the certs are dated 1st April 1950
    Peterborough sticks in my mind for some reason. See Chris at Allerton. I'm sure he will find them if they were buried here.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast