Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

I read somewhere on Facebook that this new version of the book contains references to Kelly's execution being botched by Pierrepoint. That must have been the final indignity! Or was it being buried under the prison car park?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dick View Post
    I read somewhere on Facebook that this new version of the book contains references to Kelly's execution being botched by Pierrepoint. That must have been the final indignity! Or was it being buried under the prison car park?!
    Hope this helps

The skeletal remains of Mr. George Kelly, wrongfully hanged for murder at Walton prison, Liverpool (1950) were exhumed, examined and are reported on herein. The first cervical vertebra was found to be fractured but no `hangman's fracture' of the axis – second cervical vertebra – was present. The hangman (Mr. Albert Pierrepoint) has been quoted as stating that the hanging of Mr Kelly took longer than `it should have' (Dernley and Newman, 1989) but no skeletal evidence of death by strangulation was found by the authors. Unconsciousness, if not death, would probably have been rapid due to vertebral artery damage as a result of the observed neck fracture, although this cannot be concluded with absolute certainty

Blog Entries

GEORGE sKELLY`S BOOK IS FOR SALE... HERE IS A NOTE FROM GEORGE............
    I'm aware most of you may have read the previous two editions of The Cameo Conspiracy. But dare I suggest that at the current reduced price of 16.50 (from Waterside Press 0r 18.25 from Amazon with free delivery) )it might make a useful Christmas present for maybe a friend or family both home and abroad who hasn't read it?
    Wherever possible I am also prepared to sign any copy to the intended recipient.

George.

PS: to differentiate it from previous editions, the new expanded, and much more superior edition has the sub-title, "A Shocking True Story Of Murder & Injustice."

Quote Originally Posted by captain kong View Post
    GEORGE sKELLY`S BOOK IS FOR SALE... HERE IS A NOTE FROM GEORGE............
    I'm aware most of you may have read the previous two editions of The Cameo Conspiracy. But dare I suggest that at the current reduced price of 16.50 (from Waterside Press 0r 18.25 from Amazon with free delivery) )it might make a useful Christmas present for maybe a friend or family both home and abroad who hasn't read it?
    Wherever possible I am also prepared to sign any copy to the intended recipient.

George.

PS: to differentiate it from previous editions, the new expanded, and much more superior edition has the sub-title, "A Shocking True Story Of Murder & Injustice."
    Had it for months, well worth reading

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Had it for months, well worth reading
    I agree Steve, it is well worth reading. But are you referring the the latest Waterside Press edition of The Cameo Conspiracy?. The reason I ask is that this version has only been out since August.
    As Mr Skelly says, it is an expanded edition, with full praise given to Lou Santangeli for the major part he played in getting the convictions quashed. It also, unlike previous editions, has a full list of chapter headings, a full index and colour photographs of Kelly's funeral and other subjects. I agree it is a far superior version than the previous ones and is well worth the £16. I paid. I'm really looking forward to the publication of Mr Skelly's new book - Murderers Or Martyrs - about the Devlin & Burns case, which I understand is another expose of Mr Balmer's dirty tricks.

I agree Steve, it is well worth reading. But are you referring the the latest Waterside Press edition of The Cameo Conspiracy?. The reason I ask is that this version has only been out since August.
    As Mr Skelly says, it is an expanded edition, with full praise given to Lou Santangeli for the major part he played in getting the convictions quashed. It also, unlike previous editions, has a full list of chapter headings, a full index and colour photographs of Kelly's funeral and other subjects. I agree it is a far superior version than the previous ones and is well worth the £16. I paid. I'm really looking forward to the publication of Mr Skelly's new book - Murderers Or Martyrs - about the Devlin & Burns case, which I understand is another expose of Mr Balmer's dirty tricks.
    Hi
    yes the waterside press version, I pre ordered it from them in about July
    and it came around August, paid full price about £22 I think but well
    worth it. Indeed,yes, looking forward to the new book

Steve

It seems George Skelly's knowledge of murder cases is not limited to Liverpool. On the Liverpool City Police website, under Articles, in addition to writing about the Cranborne Road murder, he also writes about the 1927 case of the murder of P.C. Gutteridge, whose eyes were shot out by two criminals, Browne and Kennedy, who were both hanged. There is also a fairly neutral account of the Cameo case by a retired police officer, Chris Kelly. All interesting reading!

Just found this thread and read it right through. Fascinating. Someone (Steveb?) was asking about a year ago if they knew where some of the people involved were buried. John Bernard Catterall was buried at Yew Tree Cemetery. My aunt told me where the grave was - close to where my grandparents are buried. I just looked it up on Ancestry and the plot no is 2D 10. He is listed as aged 30, address 'Late of 2 Hampstead Rd'. None of the other records have 'late of' attached so I'm not sure what that signifies. I will try to get a photo next time I go but it may not be until the weather gets warmer as I don't live locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara L View Post
    Just found this thread and read it right through. Fascinating. Someone (Steveb?) was asking about a year ago if they knew where some of the people involved were buried. John Bernard Catterall was buried at Yew Tree Cemetery. My aunt told me where the grave was - close to where my grandparents are buried. I just looked it up on Ancestry and the plot no is 2D 10. He is listed as aged 30, address 'Late of 2 Hampstead Rd'. None of the other records have 'late of' attached so I'm not sure what that signifies. I will try to get a photo next time I go but it may not be until the weather gets warmer as I don't live locally.
    Hi
    yes it was me. I do have photographs thanks. Mr Thomas is in Everton Cem
    an unmarked grave also in the grave is a 4 week old baby.
    I have access to all the burial records so finding people isn't a problem.
    I also have the complete burial book for Anfield for 1938, so if anyone
    needs to find a person buried then, mail me

Steve

It seems George Skelly's knowledge of murder cases is not limited to Liverpool. On the Liverpool City Police website, under Articles, in addition to writing about the Cranborne Road murder, he also writes about the 1927 case of the murder of P.C. Gutteridge, whose eyes were shot out by two criminals, Browne and Kennedy, who were both hanged. There is also a fairly neutral account of the Cameo case by a retired police officer, Chris Kelly. All interesting reading!
    You will also see that there is an article recently added about the Cranborne Road murder of Alice Beatrice Rimmer by my good friend George Skelly

http://liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/#/c...951/4558997481

and an article Ive added about the very sad killing of Lesley Hobbs 12yrs in 1962

http://liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/#/t...bbs/4559551444

Chris K

Hi Chris

Congratulations on adding the article on the murder of Lesley Hobbs. Thanks for directing us to the Liverpool police site. I have just spent time going through the articles which are well done and informative.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks Chris. I hope she is remembered as its 50 years ago this year.

To anyone who may be interested.

There is a production taking place at St George's Hall towards the end of April. It's my understanding that it deals with a modern hypothetical appeal against his death sentence.

It is taking place in the very court room where Mr Kelly was unjustly convicted.

I'm sorry if these details are sketchy but I only caught the end of a Radio Merseyside programme interviewing the people involved last Friday night.

I did, however, get a phone number to buy tickets (£10).

0151 229 1029.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829