Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: George Kelly Cameo Cinema Murder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scouse exile View Post
    Hi people, it's me again. The guy who dared to write a stage play about the Cameo Cinema murders and got banished to turdtown by the MCCPS (Merseyside Cameo Case Protection Society ). Now then, in that connection, I've returned with a question. One of the central characters of the play is an escapologist ( don't ask ) and he's based on a performer I recall from my youth who used to do an escapology act on bomb sites in the years just after the war. I recall seeing him performing on the Blitz site at the junction of Lord Street and Whitechapel. He would climb into this old Post Office mailbag, an assistant ( lovely or not -- I can't remember ) would wrap him in chains. And he would proceed to try to escape his bonds with loud but muffled grunts of despair while writhing around scattering clouds of dust all over the city centre. Trouble is no one I've spoken to who was also around in those days seems to remember him. And I'm beginning to think I was hallucinating. So can anyone kindly confirm my recollection?
    the maisonette that Hughie Smith lived & died is shown on this thread
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4203

post numbers #3 & #7
    Hughie lived on first floor 2nd maisonette along number 1a ,my dad lived on ground floor at number 3 & I lived a couple of doors away at number 9 & also opposite at number 2

strangely the first maisonette of the block was 2 St Domingo Rd
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Default Get your facts right!!!!

Just wanted to say Kathleen Hughes is the daughter of Georgie Kelly, Also REPORTEDLY is the operative word here she did not walk away with 500,000
    and certainly didnt move to a big house!!! She lhas lived in the same house for more than 20 years and i know this because she is my aunty.

Quote Originally Posted by missy View Post
    Just wanted to say Kathleen Hughes is the daughter of Georgie Kelly, Also REPORTEDLY is the operative word here she did not walk away with 500,000
    and certainly didnt move to a big house!!! She lhas lived in the same house for more than 20 years and i know this because she is my aunty.
    Tell her to put a gravestone on her "fathers" grave then.

Blog Entries

I have vivid memories of the escapologist who used to p[erform their craft on that waste ground by Lewis's in the 1940's. The warm up to the escape trick was the part where hughie used to hold a paving slab against his chest while his partner smashed it with a sledge hammer. One of them used to crack a whip to attract our attention and would tell us about what was to happen next. The atmosphere seemed quite violent to a mere boy like me and I used to flinch when the man with the whip used to call for volunteers. Watching the man get in the post office sack and then get bound by chains which then had a cutlass inserted ,used to frighten the bejesus out of me. Would he die in his struggle to get out? Suffice to say that when he did, most of the audience evaporated and they were left with just a few folk who would drop a copper or two into their bag . It seemed a hard way to make a living.
    Near forty years later Sue and I went to the 6 Hills show in Leicestershire and saw a family doing the same act. Only this time the father and son had paving slabs placed on their heads while the mother smashed them with a sledgehammer. Both father and son looked like they were half witted!
    BrianD

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Scouser View Post
    Tell her to put a gravestone on her "fathers" grave then.

I suggest you get yor facts right!!!! Wrong grave which everyone on here knows you have been pulled up on before. Seeing as you think you know so much. Why dont you go and knock on the door of the SUPPOSEDLY big house Kathleen Hughes lives in and tell her to her face ?????

Missy, are you saying Famous Scouser is wrong, when he actually posted a photo of George Kellys grave on this thread a few months ago, when it was without a headstone?
    You also say Kathleen Hughes is Kelly's daughter. but as I understand it, he was seperated from his wife Annie in 1941 and never had any children..

Missy,
    a good way to prove who is right or wrong would be for one of the Kelly famiily to post a picture on this thread of the grave with its headstone. That would surely settle the matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harryboy View Post
    Missy,
    a good way to prove who is right or wrong would be for one of the Kelly famiily to post a picture on this thread of the grave with its headstone. That would surely settle the matter.
    Don't you believe her?

Everyone knows who's telling the truth here Harry. The photos in the thread show the plastic placard that acts as Georgies makeshift headstone.Besides if anyone is in doubt they can go to Springwood and check it out for themselves. They can even see it from Springwood Avenue right opposite the entrance to Clarkes gardens if they don't want to get out of the car.
    In the meantime let the family squabble and bicker over the "compo" that they are all rubbing their hands together over.No gravestone for your own father.Disgraceful!

Blog Entries

Seems a lot of bad feeling over this. If the family aren't bothered why would anyone else. Hope when I go, my family save a few bob and throw me to the ducks.

Missy, are you saying Famous Scouser is wrong, when he actually posted a photo of George Kellys grave on this thread a few months ago, when it was without a headstone?
    You also say Kathleen Hughes is Kelly's daughter. but as I understand it, he was seperated from his wife Annie in 1941 and never had any children..
    Annie Reid if my memory serves me right Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    Seems a lot of bad feeling over this. If the family aren't bothered why would anyone else. Hope when I go, my family save a few bob and throw me to the ducks.
    I think your'e missing the point here Pablo. It has been widely and regularly reported that the Kelly family are indeed "bothered" and do care very much. So if that is the case, and they havent, as Famous Scouser maintains, even bothered to put a gravestone on George's grave what does that say about their concern? On the other hand if they say there is a gravestone, why dont they post a photo here and settle the matter?

Blog Entries

I think your'e missing the point here Pablo. It has been widely and regularly reported that the Kelly family are indeed "bothered" and do care very much. So if that is the case, and they havent, as Famous Scouser maintains, even bothered to put a gravestone on George's grave what does that say about their concern? On the other hand if they say there is a gravestone, why dont they post a photo here and settle the matter?
    Reckon that's up to them Harry. Like I said, hope my kids don't spend any money on me when I'm gone. It won't say how much they thought of me, it's just my wishes. If they wanna spend money on me, do it now.

Blog Entries

I thought he was hanged.

Considering it was a high profile state execution, I would have thought that there woul have been equally a high profile headstone. The photos show his final resting place to be tatty and shamefull. Argueably the state provide a better service by burying him in the grounds of the prison rather than leave him in the hands of his so called grieving family. I read somewhere that an MP from down south was making noises about compo on behalf of the family. I thought his daughter was the only one entitled to anything or are they feuding between themselves?

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast