Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What school did you go to?

I attended Sudley Road Primary School from 1953 to 1959 (headmaster Mr Curl), Rose Lane/Morrison Boys School from 1959 to 1963, and Quarry Bank from 1963 to 1964 (headmaster Mr Pobjoy). School friends I have long since lost contact with (but wonder what happened to them???) include Andrew Caulfield and Dave Kerrigan.

Default Quarry Bank

Quote Originally Posted by mps48 View Post
    I attended Sudley Road Primary School from 1953 to 1959 (headmaster Mr Curl), Rose Lane/Morrison Boys School from 1959 to 1963, and Quarry Bank from 1963 to 1964 (headmaster Mr Pobjoy). School friends I have long since lost contact with (but wonder what happened to them???) include Andrew Caulfield and Dave Kerrigan.
    I was at Quarry Bank for 6 years ending in 1965 - I was in the first group that got to the 6th Form in five years - a new plan set up by Pobjoy, I presume.

Since my birthday was at the end of the cut-off for the school year, with three years at Liverpool University I managed to graduate when I was 19, three weeks before my 20th bitrhday...:^)

I remember Mr Cook the Woodshop teacher, who never got the memo from Pobjoy about ending corporal punishment, and "Biddy" the maths teacher, who said "If you can't do maths, learn how to play the guitar"....

I guess you would have been in the class a year ahead of me in the 6th Form.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I was at Quarry Bank for 6 years ending in 1965 - I was in the first group that got to the 6th Form in five years - a new plan set up by Pobjoy, I presume.

Since my birthday was at the end of the cut-off for the school year, with three years at Liverpool University I managed to graduate when I was 19, three weeks before my 20th bitrhday...:^)

I remember Mr Cook the Woodshop teacher, who never got the memo from Pobjoy about ending corporal punishment, and "Biddy" the maths teacher, who said "If you can't do maths, learn how to play the guitar"....

I guess you would have been in the class a year ahead of me in the 6th Form.
    Long way from Quarry Bank to Tucson, Arizona ! Did you know Stu Gilvey?

Quote Originally Posted by mps48 View Post
    Long way from Quarry Bank to Tucson, Arizona ! Did you know Stu Gilvey?
    Yep... especially when you are 21 years old - but I moved halfway to Michigan first....

Sorry, don't know Stu. I'll ask my BIL sometime, he was one year behind and still lives in Liverpool.

His class recently had an unofficial, word of mouth reunion, and they got around 26 out of 32 people attending. Would have got one more, but one was the UK Attorney General (is that the right term?), and he was busy giving Blair opinions at the time...

I left FLO MELLY sen. boys abingdon road xmas 1953 the same term the Beak [Mr Bridge] left . i've looked for it on google earth and it looks like it ain;t thereany more. anybody out there remember tealeaftosh [ now lives in oz]

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    try this link for your old school photies

http://www.worldschoolphotographs.com/

its in america but found one of me in a few seconds.
    yer got me. was that you on the left

I went to boaler st ., school in the 40,s and then too shiel rd., until 53 2 years in an office and then away too sea.

I started of at t Augustines in L 3, then moved to page moss and went to Colwell and Finch Hall till I left in 54

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by rainey View Post
    I started of at t Augustines in L 3, then moved to page moss and went to Colwell and Finch Hall till I left in 54
    Hello rainey .
    Was it St Augustines over the bridge ?
    It it was , that is the same school as my Mum , i think she also left around that time , they lived on the Dock road , in a place called Blackies buildings ..
    My mum was called Bridget ' Delia' was the name she was more known by though , she had a sister called Ann ... May and Sally , there surname was Hughes ..
    Best , from
    Debra .

Partsky

St Bonaventure, off Walton Vale. Now known as Archbishop Beck.

Rice Lane infants & juniors in Walton then on to Alsop Lower in County Rd then Alsop Upper on Queens Dr Walton.

Fond memories in both. Don't suppose any ex teachers are viewing this but I've always wanted to thank Mrs Pemberton, Mr Wall and Mr Brown from Rice Lane and Mr Corlett, Mrs Jones, Mr Groves and Mrs Valentine from Alsop.

It's only when you grow older and see more of the world that you realise just how good they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Partsky View Post
    St Bonaventure in Walton, which is now Archbishop Beck. Rubbish school then but better now, I believe. We could all pray but very few of us had a decent education. Brian King, the English Teacher, sadly deceased, was a Saint who gave everyone a love of books. RIP Mr King
    Sad to hear that Mr. King had died. I remember his classes. He'd take us to Freshfield, or the Lake district and then ask us to write an essay about it, or take us to the cinema and our homework would be to write a film critique of whatever film he'd taken us to see. Great days, although I didn't realise it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lan02 View Post

It's only when you grow older and see more of the world that you realise just how good they were.
    Very well said...

georgie t

st malachys then john almond....or whatever its called nowadays

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amenhotep View Post
    Sad to hear that Mr. King had died. I remember his classes. He'd take us to Freshfield, or the Lake district and then ask us to write an essay about it, or take us to the cinema and our homework would be to write a film critique of whatever film he'd taken us to see. Great days, although I didn't realise it at the time.
    I, on hearing of your affection for B King tried to see if there were any obituaries or death notices for him in the local press and elsewhere, but no.
    You would have thought somebody would have had something to say about him, odd aint it?

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast