Thread: Liverpool Council Offices - Municipal Buildings

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    theninesisters

Default Liverpool Council Offices - Municipal Buildings

For the sly old Shytalk making me create another post.....

If you've passed the Liverpool Council Offices on Dale Street - the Municipal Buildings, the clock will chime on the hour and every 15 mins inclusive.
    Not many people know this, but as well as the 5 bell clock chime, 4 of these bells are hung for full circle ringing - it is a total mystery why this was done and I have no answer to give as yet. The hour chime bell is hung dead (doesn't move) and is struck by a weighted clapper on the outside to chime the hour, and a rope for the clapper on the inside - this weighs exactly 40cwt - or 2 ton. The four bells that are rung full circle range from 31/2 cwt up to 16cwt (just under a ton in new money) and are only rung on very special occasions such as the Queen's Birthday and so on.

The ringing chamber is directly above a set of offices and the bells are VERY LOUD when they are being rung (haha) with no sound protection.
    Pictures below show the ringing chamber leading up to the bell chamber and the clock higher up. At the top of the building on the tower is a very small iron balcony which you can climb out on to and have a commanding view of the city - if you have a good head for heights!

If you want to know what they sound like - go to
    www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit.com/soundfiles and click on the Municipal tab at the bottom of the page!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.