Thread: Liverpool Council Offices - Municipal Buildings

theninesisters

Default Liverpool Council Offices - Municipal Buildings

For the sly old Shytalk making me create another post.....

If you've passed the Liverpool Council Offices on Dale Street - the Municipal Buildings, the clock will chime on the hour and every 15 mins inclusive.
    Not many people know this, but as well as the 5 bell clock chime, 4 of these bells are hung for full circle ringing - it is a total mystery why this was done and I have no answer to give as yet. The hour chime bell is hung dead (doesn't move) and is struck by a weighted clapper on the outside to chime the hour, and a rope for the clapper on the inside - this weighs exactly 40cwt - or 2 ton. The four bells that are rung full circle range from 31/2 cwt up to 16cwt (just under a ton in new money) and are only rung on very special occasions such as the Queen's Birthday and so on.

The ringing chamber is directly above a set of offices and the bells are VERY LOUD when they are being rung (haha) with no sound protection.
    Pictures below show the ringing chamber leading up to the bell chamber and the clock higher up. At the top of the building on the tower is a very small iron balcony which you can climb out on to and have a commanding view of the city - if you have a good head for heights!

If you want to know what they sound like - go to
    www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit.com/soundfiles and click on the Municipal tab at the bottom of the page!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

TA.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Incredible! Only yesterday I was walking past there wondering about how I could get up into the bell tower. I suppose I could try writing to the building owners (Liverpool Direct?).

scouserdave

Gobsmacked Jon! Cracking photies and info

PhilipG

Wish I could get to the top of buildings, but then I hate heights!
    I'm OK if I'm looking through windows, but hate being high up in the open air.

Great photos.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Incredible! Only yesterday I was walking past there wondering about how I could get up into the bell tower. I suppose I could try writing to the building owners (Liverpool Direct?).
    When I'm next there, I'll try and get a few people along to take the tour. Security is incredibly tight though as it's a very unsafe set of steps that leads you up in to the chamber - well not unsafe just bloody steep! Plus with the only access through council offices, I don't think they'd let jo-public in.
    If I can arrange a visit then I'll give you a shout.

Default Liverpool Clock Bells

Hi!

We visited Liverpool recently in march april 2008. We stayed at Albert dock. When we arrived some beautiful church bells used to ring every 15 minutes, building up to a full peal on the hour. I thought they were specific to Albert dock but when we were walking elsewhere in town I heard the same peals somewhere else. But in our last weeks of our visit they stopped completely. What bells were these? Why did they stop them? It was very beautiful.

I'd be grateful for more info.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by liverpoolguest View Post
    Hi!

We visited Liverpool recently in march april 2008. We stayed at Albert dock. When we arrived some beautiful church bells used to ring every 15 minutes, building up to a full peal on the hour. I thought they were specific to Albert dock but when we were walking elsewhere in town I heard the same peals somewhere else. But in our last weeks of our visit they stopped completely. What bells were these? Why did they stop them? It was very beautiful.

Church bells?
    If it was a clock chiming near the Albert Dock, it would be the Royal Liver Building.

Hi!

Depends on what day. The only full chime is at the Liver Buildings, which will chime every 15 mins and on the hour but you may have also heard the Municipal Buildings clock chime on Dale Street which also chimes every 15 mins too.

Thanks that's great! But any idea why they stopped? The friend we were visiting says they haven't heard them again since we were with them.

Thanks that's great! But any idea why they stopped? The friend we were visiting says they haven't heard them again since we were with them.
    You may have been in town on a very rare day when they were rung 'full circle' and not just chimed. They are only rung for historical occasions and Royal birthdays and only for about 2 hours (with breaks) in total.

Find more info on them at my website:

http://www.liverpoolbells.co.uk/#/mu...ngs/4528778009

Plus, for a sound recording, go to the following page: (scroll down to the bottom)

http://www.liverpoolbells.co.uk/#/soundfiles/4519410501