Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLD SWAN/MILL LANE

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    I once had a friend who lived in Macketts Lane, Speke, and he said GH lived there.
    Would that be right?
    The Harrisons moved to 25 Upton Green in Speke when George was 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Old Swan is cool Max.

I used to live in Wavertree in Arnold Grove. but i moved because the Beatle bus was always there for George Harrisons house
    Old Swan= Evil.

Went to the Tesco with my mum and Brother to get my brothers Xbox 360(my mum works at Tesco and got him a discount) and afterwards I was struck In a traffic jam for 20 minutes In one part of Old Swan.

Used to go to Knotty Ash and no direct buses from Wavertree either so had to go to Edge Lane or Old Swan.

It gives me an evil feeling when I go down to Old Swan for some reason.

So Old Swan= Pure Evil.

Is this Upton Park where Harrison moved to a ghetto area of Speke like I saw on the way to Hale?

Speke past the retail= Evil too.

Garston = Depends which part.

Wavertree(Godvertree)= Good.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

George and Macca (who also lived in Speke at this time) used to get the bus together to the Inny.

My good school mate lived in Old Swan but as his mam and dad had originally lived in Gerard Crescent, he kept making that big trek down to St Joey's school and then later to the 'big' school which was St. Gregs.

I thought of them as posh, living in a big house with an upstairs, front and back garden in Elms House road but of course they weren't - just down to earth nice people like us. My arl mate, Brian still lives up there in Old Swan with his wife and four kids.

So I used to catch the No. 10 to Prescot, in Norton street, outside the black Midland bank, sometimes we'd cycle there and back and while up there cycle up broadgreen road or go towards Knotty Ash or Thingwall Hall or Bowring Park - seemed like miles and if I wasn't following him i'd have got lost for sure. Great memories of Old Swan for me then, especially looking at motorbikes in the show room window at the bottom of Ronald street or one of the others that cornered onto Prescot Road, dreaming of getting one aged 14 or so, he eventually did for a bit. All mankind as well in the row of shops under St. Oswalds House.

Gnomie

Max 102 Bus goes from Wavertree to Knotty ash

Code:
    On the whole, The Swan is fine apart from by the shops on Oakhill Road where gangs tend to congregate. I moved from Oak Hill Park off Broad Green Road in October 2005 which is a great place to live. I also used to live in Portelet Road towards the Derby Lane end, that along with Guernsey Road is ok. Mill Lane itself is ok but go in a little towards Northway Parade shops and it can be bad news as there's been a stabbing and shooting within the last year. If you're going to live anywhere around Mill Lane then around Olive Grove is good. My sister lives in Thorley Close and it's nice and quiet around there.
    Mill Lane itself is ok but go in a little towards Northway Parade shops and it can be bad news as there's been a stabbing and shooting within the last year.
    Where are these shops?

Also anyone know what the the rose pub is like off binns road?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Max 102 Bus goes from Wavertree to Knotty ash
    It's like those one every half hour buses though.

It twas In me karate days.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

MarkA

The Rose on Binns Road is a traditional pub that tends to have the same local faces in. It's not a scally pub as far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by MarkA; 04-19-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks for your information all...

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I quite like Rathbone Road. Especially when on the no62! You get great panoramic views of the two cathedrals, Radio City Tower and even North Wales! This area will change though once all the work on Edge Lane is completed. Wheather this is good or not, i'll let you decide!

Old Swan isn't bad though, and if you look in the right places, you might find some old buildings which remind us that Old Swan is older than it looks!
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

Anyone know what hankinson street is like which is just off binns road and rathbone road?

Rathbone is quite a nice road.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Rathbone is quite a nice road.
    I walked the whole stretch of it today! Was quite fun and had a great variation in housing. I would be concerned if you had children as it is quite busy at times and rather narrow in places. But on the whole, is well placed. The station will also be a godsend as many trains stop there to and from Wigan/Preston and all stations in-between.

If your luck and nearer Edge Lane, you could look out of one upper floor window and see both the Liverpool Skyline and North Wales too. Quite impressive ay?
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by bsnapool View Post
    Anyone know what hankinson street is like which is just off binns road and rathbone road?
    I cut down that street everytime I'm on days to get on to Pighue Lane so I can can take a back route to The Rocket (I'm about the only one that does so don't worry). Can't say that I've seen anything untoward at 5pm but it is only the briefest of snapshots.

From what Im thinking, it seems to be a short cut to cut out edge lane traffic... Thanks for the info

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast