Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OLD SWAN/MILL LANE

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    It's like those one every half hour buses though.

It twas In me karate days.
    Did you used to do Karate in Knotty Ash Max? I did many moons ago when I was about 22. Go-Kan-Ryu was my speciality!

(and to keep on topic with the thread)

I work just off Rathbone Road in the Tech Park. You've no idea how many scallies want to come and play on the Tech Park of an evening. They've learnt by now not to play chicken with my white herse!

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by bsnapool View Post
    From what Im thinking, it seems to be a short cut to cut out edge lane traffic... Thanks for the info

Nah, Hankinson Street is not a cut through. Binns Road and Pighue Lane are the cut throughs. It's only 'cos I can't swing 'round at the site of the old Rathbone pub that I go up Hankinson to get back onto Pighue.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Did you used to do Karate in Knotty Ash Max? I did many moons ago when I was about 22. Go-Kan-Ryu was my speciality!

I work just off Rathbone Road in the Tech Park. You've no idea how many scallies want to come and play on the Tech Park of an evening. They've learnt by now not to play chicken with my white herse!
    My kids used to go to GKR in Knotty Ash. They jibbed that when GKR did the dirty on Sensei Gavin and followed him to a different night at Knotty Ash and then when he moved to the Nelson building in Aintree. Unfortuantely my lad got injury which required an op and the consultant recomended that he didn't do any more contact sports so, to my kids delight, they don't go anymore.

(and to keep on topic!)

I work in UB behind the Tech Park.

Does anyone remember when St. Oswald St. was very narrow opposite the church? A building stuck out in the road and there was barely room for two vehicles to pass. The rest of the road had been widened, I have no idea why this building was left there for years although it was probably historic, it appears on an 1851 map. What was this building? Bobbymac can probably tell me, he's an old fart like me.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Does anyone remember when St. Oswald St. was very narrow opposite the church? A building stuck out in the road and there was barely room for two vehicles to pass. The rest of the road had been widened, I have no idea why this building was left there for years although it was probably historic, it appears on an 1851 map. What was this building? Bobbymac can probably tell me, he's an old fart like me.
    No idea but there's a wall of an old building still intact with bricked up windows in the exact position you're talking about. The wall is on your left as you walk to Tesco's directly opposite St Oswald's. Just looking at the 1851 http://www.old-maps.co.uk map and right where the wall is was a 'rope manufactury'. Considering these buildings were long and so is the wall...2=2 and all that.
    Last edited by MarkA; 01-30-2007 at 06:08 AM.

Right MarkA, It was the ropeworks. From that map it looks like it went down as far as Green Lane parralel with Prescot Rd. I don't remember exactly when they widened St. Oswald St. I think it was in the late 70's.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

There are a number of St. Oswald street pics on the port cities site L.R.O. showing was was there before the road widening.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    My kids used to go to GKR in Knotty Ash. They jibbed that when GKR did the dirty on Sensei Gavin and followed him to a different night at Knotty Ash and then when he moved to the Nelson building in Aintree. Unfortuantely my lad got injury which required an op and the consultant recomended that he didn't do any more contact sports so, to my kids delight, they don't go anymore.

(and to keep on topic!)

I work in UB behind the Tech Park.

Likewise, I did the same and for my sins I never went back. My cousin is a Sensei up in Newcastle and when he comes down he makes sure that I haven't forgotten my basic skills....I haven't

Default Mill Lane/Old Swan

I grew up in the "SWAN" and still live here now. It doesn't matter where you
    live you'll always find a good side and a bad side!
    By the way GED what was your mates name who used to live in Elmshouse?

Blog Entries

^^Hi Pete^^
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
    Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

Im from Old Swan too

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post

Go Kan Ryu were frauds and alot of people including me left them and the people who left formed their own style based from It and Shotokan. They watered down the effectiveness of both styles.

Go Kan Ryu Is a mix of Shotokan and Goju Ryu. Gokan without the Ryu In certain Japanese Kanji's can mean rape!

I had enough of them too as they were as bad and the top guy was just In a war with Go Kan Ryu so I left and went for the proper ShotoKan style. They didn't care what technique was taught as long as It was effective. They were called Sho Go Ryu.

Wonder how Sensei Gav's doing? Heard his new clubs wern't doing well but that was 2003.

The people I did Shotokan with were old mates my dad knew like Terry O'Neill but Karate never did put mental toughness Into me for street situations. It's a non contact sport and I wanted contact.

Not having much luck at the moment with wanting to step up In boxing either though. 3rd gym In 2 years. Theirs favouritism and If you make mistakes or not be agressive enough In sparring they think your not cut out even when you've only just joined the place.

When I was agressive though I showed how weak they were but I grabbed some at times and slammed them In the face. I could easily outstrength them but I prefer to be smart and just as I was learning and had ideas, he got loads of to leave the gym.

He made alot of excuses to the others there too I was told by one of them. The trainer struggled to outsmart me when the trainer was talking to me too wanting me to leave saying I wouldn't pass a medical and I have family that care and other ****e he said.

I knew It was wrong but the I was treated like ****e In that Everton gym and even after talks, If I mentioned my mentality problems they said well If you walked past Alder Hey everyday and see kids who have got cancer then I wouldn't be feeling so low about my problems then contradicted that by saying I don't know your problems so I can;t judge. He sure thought he could judge when he said that ****e.

I hope I get to fight one of his fighters one day and beat tha ****e of em. I was superior In brains and strength out of anyone In there. Most of them struggled to lift weights I could easily push with two fingers.

Even when I sparred at times they turned there heads away and only saw when I did bad, when I did good their attention was elsewhere.

Saying that though alot of people In boxing gyms I've been to aren't very bright except the odd one.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Wonder how Sensei Gav's doing? Heard his new clubs wern't doing well but that was 2003.
    He's moved his dojo to the Nelson Business Park in Long Lane, Aintree although I think there's still a class at SFX on a Friday night because of the distance. He's received a lot of criticism from ex senseis as he's teaching styles now that he's only learning himself. Loads of people stopped going when he moved and I stopped taking my son and daughter as it was a pain in the arse to get to and the lessons were lacking in discipline and structure. That along with the £74 a month I was paying!

It may be of interest to you that he organises the occasional class where Mo Teague and Herol 'Bomber' Graham teach and it's open to anyone.

http://liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/58/7462158.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pete E View Post

Pete. His name is Brian Conner. He still lives in the Swan, off East Prescot Road. I used to ride up there to see him then we'd ride around about, the playground on the corner of Edge Lane, Rathbone rd. Around Thingwall Hall, Knotty Ash, even ventured after some girls once (we'd met in the Museum when he stayed down in Gerard Gardens at his uncles) around King Georges memorial Field, Bowring Park (until it got a bit scary)
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    He's moved his dojo to the Nelson Business Park in Long Lane, Aintree although I think there's still a class at SFX on a Friday night because of the distance. He's received a lot of criticism from ex senseis as he's teaching styles now that he's only learning himself. Loads of people stopped going when he moved and I stopped taking my son and daughter as it was a pain in the arse to get to and the lessons were lacking in discipline and structure. That along with the £74 a month I was paying!

It may be of interest to you that he organises the occasional class where Mo Teague and Herol 'Bomber' Graham teach and it's open to anyone.

http://liverpool.gumtree.com/liverpool/58/7462158.html
    Sensei Gav's background was mostly Shotokan he told us, any other styles were what Go Kan Ryu watered down and he tried to make the watered down techniques as effective as possible.

I'd like to see how anyone could lose weight through Karate? It's common for Karate sensei's to have beer bellies but when you punch them In the belly they've done so much tensing It's solid.

Yeah I heard Herol does his own fitness classes. Shame his chin never held when he was that close to winning world titles though.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast