Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Vulcan over The Mersey

Nae bother laaaa!!
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky
    Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

If anyone wants to watch the return of the worlds (soon to be) only flying Vulcan Bomber, watch here. It will be getting very, very busy over the next couple of months with her first test flights in late March/early April.
    "Good work Raymondo, I'm bumping you back up to DS, only this time make sure it stands for Detective Seargent and not Dog Sh*t..."

Vulcan to the Sky

Im pleased to say I contributed to the Vulcan to the skies project, will be well worth it when its up in the air again. Was luckily living in close proximity to the last of the Victors in late 80s/ early 90s, another fantastic plane of that era. They made such "futuristic" designs in the 50s!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzacat View Post
    Im pleased to say I contributed to the Vulcan to the skies project, will be well worth it when its up in the air again. Was luckily living in close proximity to the last of the Victors in late 80s/ early 90s, another fantastic plane of that era. They made such "futuristic" designs in the 50s!
    Looks abit stealthy too!

If you like aviation, Click here!
    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...newpost&t=4624

I just downloaded the History channel documentary about the Vulcan being restored, I am looking forward to viewing it later.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Just watched it, great show, if it comes back on TV it is well worth watching.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default VULCAN BOMBER FLIES AGAIN!!! 18-10-2007

Copyright: Fred Davis

Copyright: Fred Davis

An amazing day, really did bring a tear to my eye when she popped up over the trees. Managed to make the other end for the overshoot and landing, only 150 feet above my head!! Still can't quite believe what i've seen... Did get one or two pics but for most of it I was just watching her, absolutely awestruck!! :P

Congratulations to ALL involved, let's get her back over the Mersey!!

Last edited by XL391; 10-19-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Vulcan to the Sky

Blog Entries

I recall these over Liverpool as a kid. Vapour trails everywhere and small white/silver "v" at the head of the trail. They were always quite high up, but still in view.

I saw them in London in the Falklands war fly past. They were very low with Harriers around them. They never looked that impressive as I was looking from the top of a tower block with a side view. Side view is not that good. When they fly directly over, the big V shape is very impressive indeed, then you know that this was mean plane.

There was one in Gibraltar as a door stop.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-19-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

It really is fantastic to see the Vulcan in flight again, saw it at airshows doing displays and it was always a showstopper.

I heard that when one made the famous bomb run down Mount Pleasant airfield in the Falklands, one of the conscripts said "Mother of God, if thats the size of their 'planes, how big is their aircraft carrier!"

A piece of classic engineering.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post
    It really is fantastic to see the Vulcan in flight again, saw it at airshows doing displays and it was always a showstopper.

I heard that when one made the famous bomb run down Mount Pleasant airfield in the Falklands, one of the conscripts said "Mother of God, if thats the size of their 'planes, how big is their aircraft carrier!"

A piece of classic engineering.
    I was under the impression, could be wrong, that the Vulcans dropped their bombs from very high up when bombing the Falklands.

how it once was?

Sorry, I don't know what height the raid was carried out at, Waterways, the comment may well be anecdotal, but it does make me smile.
    Imagine how you'd feel seeing one of these beasts actually doing it's job! The conscripts didn't expect anything like that big noisy bat, it must have caused a few nightmares.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what height the raid was carried out at, Waterways, the comment may well be anecdotal, but it does make me smile.
    Imagine how you'd feel seeing one of these beasts actually doing it's job! The conscripts didn't expect anything like that big noisy bat, it must have caused a few nightmares.
    The Brazilians allowed the British Nimrod and Canberra reccie planes to re-fuel. They had no love for the Argentinians.

how it once was?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I was under the impression, could be wrong, that the Vulcans dropped their bombs from very high up when bombing the Falklands.
    For this raid, the Vulcan and the Victor tankers supporting her (all 11 of them), were ordered to fly as high as possible to save on fuel (60,000ft). To tank, as the RAF call it, they had to meet at approx 40,000 feet to fill the Vulcan from the fleet of Victors. To bomb the island, the Vulcan had to drop to around 500ft 100 miles away from the target to avoid Argentine Anti Aircraft guns and radar before pulling a steep climb to around 20,000ft to drop the bombs to give them the necessary velocity to penetrate the runway.

Vulcan to the Sky

Default vulcan sortie

in 1977 we were travelling from Leeds to the east coast and in Lincolnshire we went past an airfield just as a squadron of vulcans were lining up for a sortie, took some photos but dont have the negs now....very impressive sight though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XL391 View Post
    For this raid, the Vulcan and the Victor tankers supporting her (all 11 of them), were ordered to fly as high as possible to save on fuel (60,000ft). To tank, as the RAF call it, they had to meet at approx 40,000 feet to fill the Vulcan from the fleet of Victors. To bomb the island, the Vulcan had to drop to around 500ft 100 miles away from the target to avoid Argentine Anti Aircraft guns and radar before pulling a steep climb to around 20,000ft to drop the bombs to give them the necessary velocity to penetrate the runway.
    The raid was more physiological than anything else. The Argentinians were aware that even the mainland was within range of heavy bombers too.

how it once was?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast