Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Garston Memories

Default King Street Garston

Quote Originally Posted by eddie french View Post
    Ged,
    Thanks for that GREAT pic.
    There are more houses than I remember, but the tank - That I do remember!
    I also remember my dad putting our dead cat into a sack and throwing it over the fence by that tank, then watching amazed as it came flying right back over the fence. (I've always imagined it hitting some worker on the head).

BTW,
    Does anybody remember [Rollo's?] on King Street. A sort of general store and broken biscuit, gas mantle type of shop?
    Yeah! Ed., I have a vague memory of the old 'Chandlers' shop in King St, think it was on the corner of one of the streets coming down from Window Lane, Doorway was on the corner I think. and I do remember the big wooden gates on the opposite side, with the words 'Grayson, Rollo, and Clover Dock.!! what was that? and what did they do??

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Welcome to the forum Arthur, I know you will enjoy it. I used to enjoy your postings in the Echo.

I would like to explain why Arthur types in caps, he is not being rude, he has an eye problem. It never was a problem to me and I hope the rest of the forum accepts it and welcomes him, he writes some interesting stuff.
    THANK YOU > SHYTALK.
    I got fed up with that other forum is is a shambles.
    with the idiots on here and no control by the moderator.
    It was a friend who i am in contact by email daily to come here.
    iI see this is well run and friendly.
    AND i will enjoy my time here without the hassles.
    Take care all and good luck.

Arthur Farrington once a scouse always a scouse.

Default Hi Arthur,

Thanks for email about this forum.
    peardrop

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by peardrop View Post
    Thanks for email about this forum.
    peardrop
    I am sure you will enjoy it here. We are a friendly bunch

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Yeah! Ed., I have a vague memory of the old 'Chandlers' shop in King St, think it was on the corner of one of the streets coming down from Window Lane, Doorway was on the corner I think. and I do remember the big wooden gates on the opposite side, with the words 'Grayson, Rollo, and Clover Dock.!! what was that? and what did they do??
    Hi Norm
    I will try to find out about Grayson and Clover Dock. The Rollo's is looking good for location though isn't it.
    C'mon y'all somebody must remember Rollo's.

"Nec Aspera Terrent"
    The Kings Regiment

Default Grayson & Co Garston

Quote Originally Posted by eddie french View Post
    Hi Norm
    I will try to find out about Grayson and Clover Dock. The Rollo's is looking good for location though isn't it.
    C'mon y'all somebody must remember Rollo's.
    Weren't they the ship breakers ? There was a graving dock and associated shipyard to the south of the Stalbridge Dock.

They were repairers, their main office was in Birkenhead.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous View Post
    hiya
    Does anyone remeber the " Blackie " in Bowden Rd .?

karen
    Sure do, some very scary rope swings off the cliffs,it became the Garston adventure playground and was opened by that royal who insults other nations.

Default Frank ketts

Anyone remember Frank Ketts a sort of secondhand antique shop on Kings street, i remember gloomy oild paintings and stuffed animals. Also the Chinese laundry, real china men with pigtails.
    I went to the old garston c of e, again the hall of the school had displays of stuffed animals including a fox trying to get at rabbit in his warren....very adams family and scary to a 5 yr old

Default dolphins and woodcutters band

I remember Flipper and friedns coming to Garston baths about 1969, very odd and surreal memory and also the woodcutters band who used to dress as pirates adn women adn scotsmen and parade around playing jolly tunes

Blog Entries

Default Garston Memories

This is the first time I have looked at Garston Memories and it brought back a lot of them for me...............................that tram turntable though,I lived there from '52 to '60 and never saw hide nor hair of it and I walked that road everyday.But mention of Frank Ketts awakens many old insults that were husled at us when we were younger,"Where did you get that suit, Frank Ketts?" And does anybody remember Stablos' it was on the corner under the bridge,or Yarbo,the guy who used to dredge the gutters for cigarette ends,Garston Betty,who could pee higher up the wall than any man alive,and Manxie the fattest policeman in the force.
    Although my family wandered like nomads across the great city,Garston is the place that I will always think of as home.
    Oh,and a Happy Christmas to all you lovely people out there'
    BrianD

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    I remember Flipper and friedns coming to Garston baths about 1969, very odd and surreal memory and also the woodcutters band who used to dress as pirates adn women adn scotsmen and parade around playing jolly tunes
    So do I
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    My earliest memories of Garston where as a kid visiting The Red Lion Pub all the time where my mum worked behind the bar. We would often walk into the pub aged 8-ish and speak to my mum, running around an empty pub, sticking our hands down the backs of the seats for spare cash. I think I pulled my first pint at 10.

Cauldfields pet shop was the place to buy your budgies. Garston Technical School is where we used to play.

I remember the Garston Carnival and the 'floats' that were converted lorries. As the years went by the Carnival attracted trouble and it was stopped.

Shewsbury Place always had The Beatles playing from peoples houses. Behind Shewsbury Place were very old houses that were eventually knocked down and replaced with retirement homes.

I'd often cross the Northern railway line from Island Place to Argyle Rd, where my nan and grandad used to live, it was quicker.

I would often wonder where my grandad went on a Sat/ Sunday afternoon, 'On a message' he used to say. I had my suspicions and it was only when I became a teenager I clicked onto the fact it was the Bookies then a pint in The Masonic.

When we weren't playing around the pubs and buildings, we often ventured 'Under The bridge' for a game of footy on this small piece of astro.

Garston Baths, 9am most weekends we would be the first to 'Break The Jelly', that meant breaking the stillness of the water and being the first in. It was the only place I've ever seen cockroaches floating in the water but we didn't care.

There were plenty of places for 'Dens'. Old garages were the best places as they were easily accessible and contained many Ford Cortinas with comfy seats to sit on, if a little smelly and damp.

Where ever we could, we would 'climb'. Places we climbed included St. Francis' School, Garston Park Changing Rooms and into Garston Market when it was shut to find stuff. Garston Market was where everyone I knew shopped. The old fish lady I remember clearly. A lad I knew (Marty) worked on a stall, he must have been 10 years of age.

St. Michaels' Church was a place to have fun playing around the graves and occasionally climbing over the wall onto the railway track, before the Flyover was built.

When the Flyover was built, we walked the entire length which felt like a marathon when it opened, Garston Village became a dead place after that, things began to close, its only just picking up now.

We often ventured beyond Gartson into the Cheshire Lines club area, Springwood and beyond.

These are only a handful of memories.

A Garston Lad

When I was a kid,
    We had the time,
    To play in the park,
    'Till it was nine.

When I was a kid,
    We'd stay out late,
    Riding 'round Garston,
    'Till it was late.

When I was a kid,
    We'd walk far way,
    The Golf course we'd be,
    That's where we'd stay.

When I was a kid,
    Making cash 'till dark,
    We'd wash the cars,
    Down Grassendale Park.

When I was a kid,
    We'd get all muddy,
    Playing on the land,
    They call 'The Woody'.

When I was a kid,
    We'd walk the lines,
    On Allerton Station,
    From time to time.

When I was a kid,
    We'd climb over walls,
    12 ft ones, honest,
    No fear of falls.

When I was a kid,
    We'd have water fights,
    With soapy bottles,
    Into the night.

I'm still that kid,
    And what a time,
    I had in Garston,
    When I was nine.

K. Keegan

This brought back loads of memories for me made me laugh.... OH to be young again hay ha ha ha

(p.s Your not Jeannetts brother are u by any chance ?)

Hi there Garston!
    My father was born and raised in garston - at 10 Jackson Street.
    They lived right across the road from the triplets.
    His name was Gordon Milward - an only child.
    His house was the end one next to the tram tracks,
    his neighbour was Nancy Cochrane.
    THe pram shop was on the corner - next to the akery-
    was it Miller's bakery?
    do you know of him - he was born 1929 and left
    Garston in approx. 1953.
    He married my mom - Audrey Brackendridge from SPeke in
    1947. My Uncle Ronnie Brackenridge?
    Love to hear from you
    We live in Canada
    thanks Garston.

Blog Entries

I have just been reading this thread and was interested to note that 'our Kev's' mum worked in the Red Lion, as my wife's gran worked there for 'years', and I can still recall nipping in for a pint and also to introduce myself, and inform her of our intended nuptuials.
    Her name was May Davies, and the family lived in Moss St.
    Last edited by Red Tom; 11-30-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Afterthought
    ~ Red Tom ~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast