Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavern

Blog Entries

Default Cavern

The world’s most famous rock and roll club, Liverpool’s The Cavern celebrates its 50th birthday today Tuesday 16 January 2007.

The Beatles played at The Cavern 292 times and it was during one of their lunchtime sessions at the club that they were first seen by their future manager Brian Epstein.

The Cavern, named by owner Alan Synter after a Paris venue ‘Le Caveau’, opened on Wednesday 16th January 1957. The club began life as a Jazz venue, the first act was Merseysippi Jazz Band, and for three years the club would mainly feature jazz artists.

The Beatles first promoter Sam Leach recalls that The Cavern, because of its jazz associations was one of the last Liverpool clubs to feature beat music; “It makes me smile when you read ‘The Cavern where it all began’. They were the last ones in.

“Truthfully it was a hole, it was smelly. The girls weren’t that particularly nice, they were ok but a little bit rough. I used to go the Mardi Gras because the girls there were higher class.”

The Cavern will be celebrating its 50th birthday with a day long concert for a specially invited audience.

In 1959 The Cavern was sold to Ray McFall who continued the jazz theme, but over time beat music began to take over. Lunchtime sessions had been introduced in April 1957 partly to deal with the skiffle craze. John Lennon made his first appearance at the Cavern with The Quarrymen on 7 August 1957. In 1960 Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, featuring Ringo Starr on drums, played the first beat evening session.

From 1960 onwards beat music became The Cavern’s mainstay. Bob Wooler was recruited as the compere at lunchtime sessions and most of the Merseybeat acts played there at one time or another. The Beatles made their first appearance on Wednesday 21 February 1961 and their last on Friday 3 August 1963.

Sam Leach says that despite its reputation now, the club was never his favourite venue; “I didn’t enjoy it. If you went there with a pair of new hush puppies they’d be finished by the time you came out with the mud and the coke. There was no drink in those days. Cigarettes and coke, that was all you had underneath you feet in those days.”

“But it was exciting The Cavern, I’ll give it that. You have to say The Cavern has become and is the most important rock club of all time. There’s no argument. No one can dispute that.”

By the late 1960’s the club had lost much of its appeal. The introduction of an alcohol license in 1967 – the club had previously only served soft drinks – did little to stop the slide.

In 1973 the original Cavern closed its doors for the final time. The cellar venue stood in the way of a planned ventilation shaft for the new underground rail loop line. In the event the shaft was never constructed and the club lay filled in but undisturbed until the early 1980’s.

Revellers at the closing night of the Cavern in 1973, at a time when The Beatles had only recently split, seemed to care little for the club’s Merseybeat associations one saying “I don’t think that’s recognised now. They don’t think of the Cavern as where the Beatles were discovered now. The Cavern now is just the place where you can go and hear good music.”

In 1984 a new Cavern opened, constructed on 75% of the original site and built with 15,000 bricks from the original club. The new venue is deeper than the original but the dimensions and design are the same.

In 1999 Paul McCartney returned to the club which launched his career playing a special gig at the new Cavern. Source....

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

My dad used to be a doorman on the original Cavern and for a while on the Cavern thats there today.

He's 63 now though so he's too old for any of that now.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

ah the Cavern.. I used to go there when I was a youngster.. was told not to give my name if it was ever raided by the police!.. my mum told me I wasn't allowed to go there.. so I went!.. when she found out.. she grounded me for a month!
    In my days of attending the Cavern.. there was the hippy music (live bands etc) downstairs and Motown and soul upstairs... was a long long time ago.. but I seem to remember the downstairs floors were always wet.. not the most sanitary of places..but if we were banned from going there.. there had to be something special.. so we just had to go and find out.. right???

Remember it well, spent many a happy hour or two there. It used to be
    packed most of the time but the bands were fab, beatles, gerry marsden
    and more, nowt like the 60s, music was music not like today

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    Remember it well, spent many a happy hour or two there. It used to be
    packed most of the time but the bands were fab, beatles, gerry marsden
    and more, nowt like the 60s, music was music not like today
    I was too young for the famous bands.. my days were the early 70's.. we also used to see some great bands at the Stadium.. was a huge Slade fan in those days.. saw them live there 3 times!.. was there the night Dave Hill fell off his platform boots and broke his ankle.
    Also saw Mott the Hoople.. Thin Lizzy, Suzy Quattro, Rod Stewart and the Faces, Status Quo.. and an all niter.. Hawkwind.
    Good times :-)

Great groups. Hawkwind ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by Tups View Post
    I was too young for the famous bands.. my days were the early 70's.. we also used to see some great bands at the Stadium.. was a huge Slade fan in those days.. saw them live there 3 times!.. was there the night Dave Hill fell off his platform boots and broke his ankle.
    Also saw Mott the Hoople.. Thin Lizzy, Suzy Quattro, Rod Stewart and the Faces, Status Quo.. and an all niter.. Hawkwind.
    Yes all great stuff, I went to the Cavern sort of mid 60,s went to the stadium
    a fair bit mainly for the wrestling, all the big names, Jacky Pallo, big daddy
    sadly like most places all gone now, like the white city dog track on Lower
    breck road

I went to see some Band In the Cavern once called Dokken.

They did a song on Nightmare On Elm St 3 Dream Warriors.

More 80's like they are.

Some big blonde dude In leather with the freakiest chin I ever saw jumped on stage and ran off with one of the bands guitars and bouncers some Mullet dude went looking for him.

That was a great time that.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

That's when I used to go.

60's I was still a kid .. youth clubs only, but early 70s I discovered 'going to town'

We would go to the Cavern on Friday nights. We liked the Motown disco upstairs - downstairs was like a hell hole ! ! - wet floors, gloomy and chokka with 'trogs' and headbanging music. ha,ha, (appologies to any trogs out there!)

You were either a Mod, a rocker, or a trog. (long haired heavy metal types) I was a mod

Head banging music my kinda musac!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

60's I was still a kid .. youth clubs only, but early 70s I discovered 'going to town'

We would go to the Cavern on Friday nights. We liked the Motown disco upstairs - downstairs was like a hell hole ! ! - wet floors, gloomy and chokka with 'trogs' and headbanging music. ha,ha, (appologies to any trogs out there!)

You were either a Mod, a rocker, or a trog. (long haired heavy metal types) I was a mod

Dat was me , do you remember any others ?, I used to go to the Sink
    and The Grave in Hackins Hey

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

.. I had a troggy phase.. then discovered motownand became a "skin girl".. with the crombie coat, moccasin shoes, Ben Sherman shirts, hair scraped back with the 2 side piece4s left out.. white tights with lacy holes up the legs.. gawd.. we must have looked a sight!!!

Gerard

.. I had a troggy phase.. then discovered motownand became a "skin girl".. with the crombie coat, moccasin shoes, Ben Sherman shirts, hair scraped back with the 2 side piece4s left out.. white tights with lacy holes up the legs.. gawd.. we must have looked a sight!!!
    And yer "Harrington Jacket" Tups..Jacket of the Skins..Dont forget that girl !!
    Although I cant remember anyone wearin' these originals,Just Copies out of Tony Harris on Lime Street.

http://j.simons.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/page5.html
    Last edited by Gerard; 02-05-2007 at 12:35 AM.

We wanna pic.

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    We wanna pic.

haha!!.. thankfully haven't got any from those days..the only one I did have was one taken at the old Silver Blades ice rink.. I'd had a fall.. and my eyes were like saucers!.. looked like I was spaced out or trippin away.. probably had a concussion or my two lil brain cells had had the shaking of their life!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast