Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Everton Library

The Carnegie library on the corner of Lister Road and Green Lane was closed because of health and safety problems, although I don’t know any further details.

I passed by Everton Library just last week. The roof is wrapped in black plastic sheeting. Plans are apparently being considered as to its future use.

http://www.heritageworks.co.uk/everton.htm

PDF files outline various proposed schemes.

The new Breck Road library was created for two reasons, firstly money: it was cheaper to close two old libraries which were little used and to replace them with one new library which could be opened in modern, rented premises; secondly, usage: it was argued that a position in a busy shopping area would generate more custom. According to the library staff the numbers of people using the new library is more than double that of both the old libraries it replaced combined. However, the last I heard (some years back now) the landlord had increased the rent. Future rent increases appear to have been left out of the calculations which influenced the decision to make the closures. Once a library has been established in a rented building it is no small matter to move it out again, so future rent rises may become a problem, although in the current economic climate the landlord might well prefer to keep a steady tenant in place.

Andrew Carnegie (1835–1919) endowed libraries worldwide. When I was at the Central Branch of the Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore, I saw a letter from him giving money to the library. The Pratt received a donation of $500,000 from Andrew Carnegie to build 20 new library branches. As an industrial magnate, the man was a robber baron, with all the downsides to business practices that that implies, but he also did good in the world in terms of promoting education and literacy.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I was never out of Everton Library,me...always had me head stuck in a book as a nipper,I became so popular there the Librarians shared their sarnies with me,sometimes they would be sarcastic or crack a joke like..."We can arrange to have a bed brought in for you" or they would stick a label on the chair with my name on it in big letters or they would say you can't come in today the floors been polished.

I used to be there at lunch time most days when I was a school boy at John Hamilton. I read through all the bound volumes of Punch (mostly just the cartoons). At that time libraries were still mostly used for reading and the silence rule still held sway. The pressure for more use transformed libraries into community activity centres and drove out the old on-site readers.

Quote Originally Posted by ericfaragh View Post
    I used to be there at lunch time most days when I was a school boy at John Hamilton. I read through all the bound volumes of Punch (mostly just the cartoons). At that time libraries were still mostly used for reading and the silence rule still held sway. The pressure for more use transformed libraries into community activity centres and drove out the old on-site readers.
    Here's a cartoon of Carnegie that appeared in Punch.

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Quote Originally Posted by ericfaragh View Post
    when I was a school boy at John Hamilton.
    Just wondering - does anyone know who is the John Hamilton that the school was named after ?

would it be this one ??
    http://www.eighthundredlives.org.uk/...lton.aspx?JS=1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Here's a cartoon of Carnegie that appeared in Punch.

Yes, he did some good things and some not so good things. I don't suppose America threw money at it's immigrants. He did well too for us back home in Scotland buying a country park and gifting it to the people of the town. The park is still a cherished place. Peacocks used to wonder freely about it when I were a lad.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Just wondering - does anyone know who is the John Hamilton that the school was named after ?

would it be this one ??
    http://www.eighthundredlives.org.uk/...lton.aspx?JS=1
    Hi Lindy

I don't know how old the school is. There was also an MP for Liverpool in 1880-1888 named John Hamilton, who was later raised to the peerage as Lord Claud John Hamilton (1843–1925).

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

It could be the road name as the school hamilton wing was on Hamilton Street?

Met an old friend inside the disused Everton Library on ST Domingo Road between us got some great pics, ,looking out at St Georges Church.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	23875  

Well in JB. That was a cracking day and as Griffo said, everyone tries to get in here but you need that bit o' magic - remember. I know Mart has some from that day too.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Good pic

Thanks Lindy , Ive got a few more , I will post them up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny blue View Post
    Met an old friend inside the disused Everton Library on ST Domingo Road between us got some great pics, ,looking out at St Georges Church.

This was the library I borrowed my books from when I was at Major Lester School in the 50s.The walk up from Everton Valley after school with the book you had just finished not knowing what you were going to borrow was the best part of the day.
    From Enid Blyton adventures or Sue Barton Staff Nurse to Robinson Crusoe to Hound of the Baskervilles you read your way round the Junior shelves hoping to be allowed into the more senior section as soon as possible.In the adult part of the library it was all polished wood and stone floors and a reading room with great shelves of reference books which you couldn't take home but were allowed to read at big tables. There were also the daily papers especially the Post ,Echo and Express which carried information about ships around the world and people would call in to check when their husband or dad was coming home.
    The librarians were strict but fair and often questioned you on what the story was about to check you had actually read the book. To be allowed an extra ticket was great and long light summer nights reading in bed was what you did, remember TV finished about 10.30 in those days.
    The downside was in school holidays when you allowed your books to be overdue something like a penny a day and if it went over a week or two a man in a uniform came to your house to collect the books and the fine- very embarassing.
    So what happened to this library? - this was a GREAT public service free books and as many as you could read yet it is a ruined shell. It was a wonderful building but it is more important than that it was the freedom to read and learn no barriers no matter who you were you could use the library.Think of the thousands of children who haven't had access to childrens books, the women who want to read lots of fiction but put family first or the men wanting to read about anything from military history to footy biographies.I might be a bit harsh but I get the feeling there would be more protest about the local club closing down than there would have been about losing the neighbourhood library.
    By the way we always called it the St Domingo Library never the Everton Library.
    I worked in Kirkby Library in the 80s and it was the lifeblood of a town that had been built without thought to how people would spend their leisure time.It was a meeting place a social centre and a great resource for all the surrounding schools. Closing the libraries is closing minds.

Great recollections Doris., Obviously as you know, we saw your George at the St. Georges church reunion earlier in the year and great memories were shared by all.

It seems to be an urban explorers much sought after venue Doris because one of our contacts showed us a few calling cards that had been left

Anyway, another shot of our great explore.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast