YO! Liverpool
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 82 of 82

Thread: Childwall District

  1. #61
    Senior Member RonnieW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Huyton
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Does a celtic cross have anything to do with a being Proddy or a catholic?
    That's a bit complicated mate. I've read the Celtic cross was originally based on the pre-Christian Sun Wheel and was incorporated into the RC Church by early missionaries arriving in the British Isles. Some C of E churches have a cross and others don't and some C of E people wear a cross and others don't. Most non-conformists don't have crosses.
    Gateacre was a state school, so I would think the cross appeared on the badge just because it was a local land mark and not because of any denominational significance. The badge also had two doves, one on either side of the cross, which represented a dovecote. I wouldn't know where any dovecotes might have been around that area though.


    ADVERTISING



  2. #62
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Aye me mum and her sister and two brothers (Challinor surname) used to play in and around that area when they were kids. It's now just a field which is still boggy in the middle.

    Another pic here:

    Attachment 14194
    Bernie Cass,was the old guy's name,probably a bit before your time! It's amazing how quickly these things are forgotten, like the lake/pond by Picton clock!

  3. #63
    Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NORRIS GREEN/FAZAKERLEY
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    That's a bit complicated mate. I've read the Celtic cross was originally based on the pre-Christian Sun Wheel and was incorporated into the RC Church by early missionaries arriving in the British Isles. Some C of E churches have a cross and others don't and some C of E people wear a cross and others don't. Most non-conformists don't have crosses.
    Gateacre was a state school, so I would think the cross appeared on the badge just because it was a local land mark and not because of any denominational significance. The badge also had two doves, one on either side of the cross, which represented a dovecote. I wouldn't know where any dovecotes might have been around that area though.
    Thanx for the explanation. Much appreciated.

  4. #64
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    How spooky. At the big history festival today, I overheard a chap asking Ken Rogers from the Echo (who i'd just been speaking to regarding his forthcoming book about the history of the district of Everton) about Jackson's pond. Apparently, a relation of his is a maritime painter but painted one of Jackson's pond some time ago and has been searching for a photo of it without luck for yonks. Needless to say, he was duly directed to the forum with it all.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  5. #65
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Weird eh! (but no sign of any lions?)

  6. #66
    Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NORRIS GREEN/FAZAKERLEY
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    How spooky. At the big history festival today, I overheard a chap asking Ken Rogers from the Echo (who i'd just been speaking to regarding his forthcoming book about the history of the district of Everton) about Jackson's pond. Apparently, a relation of his is a maritime painter but painted one of Jackson's pond some time ago and has been searching for a photo of it without luck for yonks. Needless to say, he was duly directed to the forum with it all.
    Nice one Ged.

  7. #67
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    How spooky. At the big history festival today, I overheard a chap asking Ken Rogers from the Echo (who i'd just been speaking to regarding his forthcoming book about the history of the district of Everton) about Jackson's pond. Apparently, a relation of his is a maritime painter but painted one of Jackson's pond some time ago and has been searching for a photo of it without luck for yonks. Needless to say, he was duly directed to the forum with it all.
    Ged,just wondered if he mentioned anything about why the pond (looks more like a lake to me!) was drained?

  8. #68
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ged,just wondered if he mentioned anything about why the pond (looks more like a lake to me!) was drained?
    Quite simply - health and safety! While there wasn't a single known (major) problem of anyone falling in, the council didn't want to hold the upkeep of it all and simply filled it in. They didn't do a very good job as that area is still very wet to this day.

  9. #69
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    History of Childwall website has been updated and redesigned - www.childwall.info

  10. #70
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've finally put the finishing touches to the new look website - www.childwall.info

  11. #71
    Senior Member GNASHER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Barking up the wrong tree
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great site,lots of info,thanks.

  12. #72
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,197
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    When trawling through the LRO online catalogue, I came across this entry under buses relating to the Slaveys mile in Childwall.


    http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...7%29&dsqPos=38
    .
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  13. #73
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Ged. Seen that one before but still a good one to see. There are some lovely views of Rocky Lane in the Village Liverpool book of paintings, literally looks like a different world away to what we have now!

  14. #74
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Hi Cadfael

    As an expert on Childwall what do you think about that supposed incident regarding the servants and slaves in Rocky Lane? It sounds a bit iffy to me but you may know better.

    Thanks

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  15. #75
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Cadfael

    As an expert on Childwall what do you think about that supposed incident regarding the servants and slaves in Rocky Lane? It sounds a bit iffy to me but you may know better.

    Thanks

    Chris
    Expert? Moi? Naaaaa but thanks all the same! In all the research I've done on Childwall, I've never come across a description for Rocky Lane like the Council have given it. It's certainly an old road, showing on the 1849 map I have. I am convinced that the name is original for the road seeing as there was a Rock Cottage at the top of Rocky Lane.

    Here's an interesting picture sourced:

    http://memoriamea.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocky-lane.html

  16. #76
    Senior Member ChrisGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    3,590
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Expert? Moi? Naaaaa but thanks all the same! In all the research I've done on Childwall, I've never come across a description for Rocky Lane like the Council have given it. It's certainly an old road, showing on the 1849 map I have. I am convinced that the name is original for the road seeing as there was a Rock Cottage at the top of Rocky Lane.

    Here's an interesting picture sourced:

    http://memoriamea.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocky-lane.html
    Many thanks, Cadfael. I think you do yourself a disservice in not accepting the accolade that you are an expert on Childwall, ha ha.

    I will have to see if I can get a copy of that interesting postcard. I am a collector of postcards and have a number of Merseyside postcards in my collection.

    Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

  17. #77
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Another pic of Jackson's Pond - sent to me by bernie Entwistle

    Mart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jackson's Pond.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	23489  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  18. #78
    Member prenton01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Cracking read going through this thread and some great pics , i moved to Childwall 10 years ago and the Abbey is now my local pub. I have a postcard of the Abbey when there was just fields no houses in the 1800's will post up when i get home from work in a few weeks

  19. #79
    Member Tippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cronton.
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi Chaps,
    I'm sorry I'm in a hurry to get out to visit a freind in hospital
    so not had time to go through all the threads.
    but was wondering if theres anyting about the building going up
    in the cemetery of Childwall church. and the removal of some graves.

    Cheer's,

    Tippo.

  20. #80
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tippo View Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I'm sorry I'm in a hurry to get out to visit a freind in hospital
    so not had time to go through all the threads.
    but was wondering if theres anyting about the building going up
    in the cemetery of Childwall church. and the removal of some graves.

    Cheer's,

    Tippo.
    It's all here on my website: www.savechildwallchurch.info

    ---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

    Any chance you can get permission for me to use on my website mart? Cracking picture!!

  21. #81
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Go for it Cadfael.
    Bernie sent it to me to post up, so just mention him as source.

    Mart
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  22. #82
    Member Tippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cronton.
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hi RonnieW,
    The dovecote is at the bottom of Gateacre Brow outside
    the Black Bull, it is a beautiful sand stone building and used
    to have a font of some kind in the centre you stand on this
    and get into the loft,where there were teirs of roost boxes
    in the six sides of the cote roof these where for raising squabs
    for the table, if I remember rightly a squab weighed more than
    the adults at ten days old.
    Most of these great estates had a dove cote of some kind
    I think the the cote in gateacre was called the Wilson cote ?
    dont tell anyone that I got my first two pigeons from here
    at the age of thirteen in 1946.

    Cheer's,
    Tippo.

    ---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

    Thanks Cadfael.

    Tippo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Is your district going like this ?
    By steveb in forum Liverpool District Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!