Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Childwall District

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    Does a celtic cross have anything to do with a being Proddy or a catholic?
    That's a bit complicated mate. I've read the Celtic cross was originally based on the pre-Christian Sun Wheel and was incorporated into the RC Church by early missionaries arriving in the British Isles. Some C of E churches have a cross and others don't and some C of E people wear a cross and others don't. Most non-conformists don't have crosses.
    Gateacre was a state school, so I would think the cross appeared on the badge just because it was a local land mark and not because of any denominational significance. The badge also had two doves, one on either side of the cross, which represented a dovecote. I wouldn't know where any dovecotes might have been around that area though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Aye me mum and her sister and two brothers (Challinor surname) used to play in and around that area when they were kids. It's now just a field which is still boggy in the middle.

Another pic here:

Attachment 14194
    Bernie Cass,was the old guy's name,probably a bit before your time! It's amazing how quickly these things are forgotten, like the lake/pond by Picton clock!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieW View Post
    That's a bit complicated mate. I've read the Celtic cross was originally based on the pre-Christian Sun Wheel and was incorporated into the RC Church by early missionaries arriving in the British Isles. Some C of E churches have a cross and others don't and some C of E people wear a cross and others don't. Most non-conformists don't have crosses.
    Gateacre was a state school, so I would think the cross appeared on the badge just because it was a local land mark and not because of any denominational significance. The badge also had two doves, one on either side of the cross, which represented a dovecote. I wouldn't know where any dovecotes might have been around that area though.
    Thanx for the explanation. Much appreciated.

How spooky. At the big history festival today, I overheard a chap asking Ken Rogers from the Echo (who i'd just been speaking to regarding his forthcoming book about the history of the district of Everton) about Jackson's pond. Apparently, a relation of his is a maritime painter but painted one of Jackson's pond some time ago and has been searching for a photo of it without luck for yonks. Needless to say, he was duly directed to the forum with it all.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Weird eh! (but no sign of any lions?)

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    How spooky. At the big history festival today, I overheard a chap asking Ken Rogers from the Echo (who i'd just been speaking to regarding his forthcoming book about the history of the district of Everton) about Jackson's pond. Apparently, a relation of his is a maritime painter but painted one of Jackson's pond some time ago and has been searching for a photo of it without luck for yonks. Needless to say, he was duly directed to the forum with it all.
    Nice one Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Ged,just wondered if he mentioned anything about why the pond (looks more like a lake to me!) was drained?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Ged,just wondered if he mentioned anything about why the pond (looks more like a lake to me!) was drained?
    Quite simply - health and safety! While there wasn't a single known (major) problem of anyone falling in, the council didn't want to hold the upkeep of it all and simply filled it in. They didn't do a very good job as that area is still very wet to this day.

History of Childwall website has been updated and redesigned - www.childwall.info

I've finally put the finishing touches to the new look website - www.childwall.info

Great site,lots of info,thanks.

When trawling through the LRO online catalogue, I came across this entry under buses relating to the Slaveys mile in Childwall.

http://archive.liverpool.gov.uk/dser...7%29&dsqPos=38
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Ged. Seen that one before but still a good one to see. There are some lovely views of Rocky Lane in the Village Liverpool book of paintings, literally looks like a different world away to what we have now!

Hi Cadfael

As an expert on Childwall what do you think about that supposed incident regarding the servants and slaves in Rocky Lane? It sounds a bit iffy to me but you may know better.

Thanks

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Cadfael

As an expert on Childwall what do you think about that supposed incident regarding the servants and slaves in Rocky Lane? It sounds a bit iffy to me but you may know better.

Thanks

Chris
    Expert? Moi? Naaaaa but thanks all the same! In all the research I've done on Childwall, I've never come across a description for Rocky Lane like the Council have given it. It's certainly an old road, showing on the 1849 map I have. I am convinced that the name is original for the road seeing as there was a Rock Cottage at the top of Rocky Lane.

Here's an interesting picture sourced:

http://memoriamea.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocky-lane.html

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast