Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Childwall District

Blog Entries

The earliest reference to Childwall is to be found in the Doomsday Book, which was compiled by William I in 1086 .

Childwall Abbey

This building is very old and probably sits on the site of an even older pub. It used to contain a collection of autographs including Queen Victoria, King of Hanover and The Duke of Wellington. It has been a tradition over the years for newly wed couples to inscribe their names in the windows of Childwall Abbey.

It is also said to be haunted with many strories of ghost sitings. The old photograph below was taken and later was found to contain a figure in the (middle) window that was said to have been a ghost.

Many thanks to Bri and Beryl for alowing me in, very hospitable
    Last edited by Kev; 10-01-2006 at 04:44 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gididi Gididi Goo.

hello guys i used to work at the childwall abbey amongst other members of my family

theres a few other bits to include which are bit strange to say the least by the window where the newley weds inscribe there new marriage there is a seat which is suppose to make women fall pregnant the fertility chair they call it.

also a few years back used to be a lad who worked in the kitchen think his name was dave he had learning difficulties. he used to sit and look out of the back window for hours on end staring at what is (i believe) the oldest bowling green in the city .one day when asked what he was looking at he went on to describe how he could see several people in victorian type dress playing bowls. I dont think he had it in him to make something like this up.

theres my tuppence worth on that anyway

regards bazz

p.s my sister was the assistant manager there for a while and had the run of the lodgings upstairs so i was lucky enough to have had a good look around the building including the old part which now unfortunatley has been converted to make way for guest rooms
    Last edited by bazz; 02-14-2007 at 01:20 PM.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    hello guys i used to work at the childwall abbey amongst other members of my family

theres a few other bits to include which are bit strange to say the least by the window where the newley weds inscribe there new marriage there is a seat which is suppose to make women fall pregnant the fertility chair they call it.

also a few years back used to be a lad who worked in the kitchen think his name was dave he had learning difficulties. he used to sit and look out of the back window for hours on end staring at what is (i believe) the oldest bowling green in the city .one day when asked what he was looking at he went on to describe how he could see several people in victorian type dress playing bowls. I dont think he had it in him to make something like this up.

theres my tuppence worth on that anyway

regards bazz

p.s my sister was the assistant manager there for a while and had the run of the lodgings upstairs so i was lucky enough to have had a good look around the building including the old part which now unfortunatley has been converted to make way for guest rooms
    That's the oldest picture I've got of a family member on the Bowling Green - 1954!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Where can I get to the Abbey and All Saints from the Fiveways route?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Where can I get to the Abbey and All Saints from the Fiveways route?
    Go up Childwall Priory Road - (barclays on your left, pub on your right) - up the hill till you get parallel with the shops. There is a large 'bear left' junction (With no bears) which is opposite Abbey Cycles. THis is Childwall Abbey Road. Now you have plenty of choices. That road leads down to the Abbey (use ya brakes Max) - but access to the woods can be done by either the black gates behind the castle type house (the gate lodge) or further down there's a gate in the wall (not the iron one).

Have fun!

My brakes are knacked!

The front one needs one knew pad and the back one just won't work for some reason when I fix the back one.

I put my footdown alot and Is crazy when your going downhill fast!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Had a really interesting night last night. As my strange bellringing hobby keeps me insane, people in charge of church towers are called Tower Captain's. The Tower Captain of Childwall in the 1960's, a chap called Mike Dodd has always kept in touch with our family and he came up to Liverpool last night for a meal out.

It's always good to speak to someone who knows the area and can tell you things about it that you never knew.

He gave an amazing account of the Fiveways roundabout with the tram terminus stopping at the end of Childwall Road by the Library.

Told me about the 'newer' houses on the corner of Bowland/Bentham Drive that were taken out with a bomb in WW2 and had to be totally rebuilt and just across the road from where I live now, the massive spotlight and guns situated in the patch of land below.

Attachment 1757

Find someone who knew your area and you will be amazed at what people can remember!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 07:58 PM.

That patch of land (the sink) was always boggy compared to the rest of the field.

Childwall Fiveways

I did pics of the fiveways once but they were cameraphone pics so I deleted them.

Oh yeah, Abbey pics uploaded to my Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmoly...7600013045886/
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

I did pics of the fiveways once but they were cameraphone pics so I deleted them.

Oh yeah, Abbey pics uploaded to my Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmoly...7600013045886/
    Cracking pics sir but you missed out on one thing...the lytchgate to the right of the one you took is the original one from the 1700's

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Ste Birmingham View Post
    That patch of land (the sink) was always boggy compared to the rest of the field.

Childwall Fiveways
    Aye, that was the site of the old bath that was once there - plus you have the underground stream from Jackson's Pond which goes through that field and leaks out just by the Bridge. (which they were told not to build!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Cracking pics sir but you missed out on one thing...the lytchgate to the right of the one you took is the original one from the 1700's
    Is that In the Garden where theirs all the tables and chairs?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Is that In the Garden where theirs all the tables and chairs?
    Nope - the white gate that you took the photo of leading in to the graveyard - there are three in total. That one that you took opposite the stone arch, the one opposite the pub - but further around there's another lytchgate - that's the original one.

I've taken pics of the White Gate and the Stone Arch.

Oh yeah I think I took one of the other white gate but It twas took dark and my memory card was messing around with errors.

I'll be going back on the next sunny day, I have to go to town soon so not today.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast