YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Childwall District

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The earliest reference to Childwall is to be found in the Doomsday Book, which was compiled by William I in 1086 .

Childwall Abbey

This building is very old and probably sits on the site of an even older pub. It used to contain a collection of autographs including Queen Victoria, King of Hanover and The Duke of Wellington. It has been a tradition over the years for newly wed couples to inscribe their names in the windows of Childwall Abbey.

It is also said to be haunted with many strories of ghost sitings. The old photograph below was taken and later was found to contain a figure in the (middle) window that was said to have been a ghost.

ADVERTISING

Many thanks to Bri and Beryl for alowing me in, very hospitable
    Last edited by Kev; 10-01-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!

Thank you

Kev
    2005 - 2017

Thanks
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thanks

hello guys i used to work at the childwall abbey amongst other members of my family

theres a few other bits to include which are bit strange to say the least by the window where the newley weds inscribe there new marriage there is a seat which is suppose to make women fall pregnant the fertility chair they call it.

also a few years back used to be a lad who worked in the kitchen think his name was dave he had learning difficulties. he used to sit and look out of the back window for hours on end staring at what is (i believe) the oldest bowling green in the city .one day when asked what he was looking at he went on to describe how he could see several people in victorian type dress playing bowls. I dont think he had it in him to make something like this up.

theres my tuppence worth on that anyway

regards bazz

p.s my sister was the assistant manager there for a while and had the run of the lodgings upstairs so i was lucky enough to have had a good look around the building including the old part which now unfortunatley has been converted to make way for guest rooms
    Last edited by bazz; 02-14-2007 at 12:20 PM.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by bazz View Post
    hello guys i used to work at the childwall abbey amongst other members of my family

theres a few other bits to include which are bit strange to say the least by the window where the newley weds inscribe there new marriage there is a seat which is suppose to make women fall pregnant the fertility chair they call it.

also a few years back used to be a lad who worked in the kitchen think his name was dave he had learning difficulties. he used to sit and look out of the back window for hours on end staring at what is (i believe) the oldest bowling green in the city .one day when asked what he was looking at he went on to describe how he could see several people in victorian type dress playing bowls. I dont think he had it in him to make something like this up.

theres my tuppence worth on that anyway

regards bazz

p.s my sister was the assistant manager there for a while and had the run of the lodgings upstairs so i was lucky enough to have had a good look around the building including the old part which now unfortunatley has been converted to make way for guest rooms
    That's the oldest picture I've got of a family member on the Bowling Green - 1954!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks

Where can I get to the Abbey and All Saints from the Fiveways route?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Where can I get to the Abbey and All Saints from the Fiveways route?
    Go up Childwall Priory Road - (barclays on your left, pub on your right) - up the hill till you get parallel with the shops. There is a large 'bear left' junction (With no bears) which is opposite Abbey Cycles. THis is Childwall Abbey Road. Now you have plenty of choices. That road leads down to the Abbey (use ya brakes Max) - but access to the woods can be done by either the black gates behind the castle type house (the gate lodge) or further down there's a gate in the wall (not the iron one).

Have fun!

Thanks

My brakes are knacked!

The front one needs one knew pad and the back one just won't work for some reason when I fix the back one.

I put my footdown alot and Is crazy when your going downhill fast!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Had a really interesting night last night. As my strange bellringing hobby keeps me insane, people in charge of church towers are called Tower Captain's. The Tower Captain of Childwall in the 1960's, a chap called Mike Dodd has always kept in touch with our family and he came up to Liverpool last night for a meal out.

It's always good to speak to someone who knows the area and can tell you things about it that you never knew.

He gave an amazing account of the Fiveways roundabout with the tram terminus stopping at the end of Childwall Road by the Library.

Told me about the 'newer' houses on the corner of Bowland/Bentham Drive that were taken out with a bomb in WW2 and had to be totally rebuilt and just across the road from where I live now, the massive spotlight and guns situated in the patch of land below.

Attachment 1757

Find someone who knew your area and you will be amazed at what people can remember!
    Last edited by theninesisters; 03-23-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Thanks

That patch of land (the sink) was always boggy compared to the rest of the field.

Childwall Fiveways

Thanks

I did pics of the fiveways once but they were cameraphone pics so I deleted them.

Oh yeah, Abbey pics uploaded to my Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmoly...7600013045886/
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

I did pics of the fiveways once but they were cameraphone pics so I deleted them.

Oh yeah, Abbey pics uploaded to my Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmoly...7600013045886/
    Cracking pics sir but you missed out on one thing...the lytchgate to the right of the one you took is the original one from the 1700's

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Ste Birmingham View Post
    That patch of land (the sink) was always boggy compared to the rest of the field.

Childwall Fiveways
    Aye, that was the site of the old bath that was once there - plus you have the underground stream from Jackson's Pond which goes through that field and leaks out just by the Bridge. (which they were told not to build!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Cracking pics sir but you missed out on one thing...the lytchgate to the right of the one you took is the original one from the 1700's
    Is that In the Garden where theirs all the tables and chairs?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

Is that In the Garden where theirs all the tables and chairs?
    Nope - the white gate that you took the photo of leading in to the graveyard - there are three in total. That one that you took opposite the stone arch, the one opposite the pub - but further around there's another lytchgate - that's the original one.

Thanks

I've taken pics of the White Gate and the Stone Arch.

Oh yeah I think I took one of the other white gate but It twas took dark and my memory card was messing around with errors.

I'll be going back on the next sunny day, I have to go to town soon so not today.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

theninesisters

My afternoon was spent up the Church tower at Childwall giving everything the once over.

Attachment 1924
    Last edited by theninesisters; 04-26-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Gnomie

Hi Jona

I went up there years back, would love to go again. is it ever open to the public.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Hi Jona

I went up there years back, would love to go again. is it ever open to the public.

Aye, every year it's open for 2 days on the Heritage Weekend in September! I'll give you a guided tour sir!

Gnomie

Right i will take you up on that Jona.

I would love to go back and explore there. used to go there as a kid, behaved of course and respected everything.

i worked in the riding stables. any pics anywhere anyone.

theninesisters

Only one I've got!

Source - Book called 'Ye Old Childwall'.

Attachment 1925

theninesisters

Just been out and about to test the new camera, takes some amazing zoom shots!

Went up to the loop line just past the Childwall Valley Road railway bridge:

1 - The Bridge over Childwall Valley Road.

2 - 13x zoom to Childwall Church, made up with this one.

3 - Peeping over the bridge at Childwall Valley Road

4 - Under the same bridge - the white stuff is actually seeping through the walls!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

nice pics Jona

Thanks

Default All Saints Childwall photo

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Just been out and about to test the new camera, takes some amazing zoom shots!

Went up to the loop line just past the Childwall Valley Road railway bridge:

1 - The Bridge over Childwall Valley Road.

2 - 13x zoom to Childwall Church, made up with this one.

3 - Peeping over the bridge at Childwall Valley Road

4 - Under the same bridge - the white stuff is actually seeping through the walls!
    Liked the photo of All Saints. Not seen one from that angle before.

Gnomie

Great pics Jona

I used tp play on that bridge as a kid, brings back memories.

theninesisters

Cheers chaps!

Aye Gnomie, do you ever remember the guards hut just by the bridge when the trains pass? Mum remembers this well but there is no trace of it now!

I'll be in town next weekend zooming in on everything

(edit - buildings only you understand )

theninesisters

The difference in a camera - this was taken at full zoom, picture two is the actual distance from the loop line to the church taken with my old camera

Attachment 2058

Attachment 2059

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar
    Thanks

Default help

anyone any idea about this image, it's been sitting on my hard drive for ages and this is all the info i have on it, i dont even know where it came from.

An unexploded parachute mine sits in a garden on Score Lane, Childwall. 28 November 1940.

theninesisters

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    anyone any idea about this image, it's been sitting on my hard drive for ages and this is all the info i have on it, i dont even know where it came from.

An unexploded parachute mine sits in a garden on Score Lane, Childwall. 28 November 1940.

One of the large bombs that was dug up from someone's front garden. Over the road where I live there's a massive field and these were used for the large guns and searchlights to try and take anything down before it reached the docs. Lots of bombs dropped but only one took out a complete house on the corner of Bowland and Bentham Drive. Fantastic picture!

theninesisters

I've put a new page on my Childwall website (finally):

http://childwall.moonfruit.com/closeup

Thanks

My favourite part of Childwall.

I wish more of Liverpool was Village looking like.

It's partly why I love Woolton and Hale so much.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast