Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 'Air raid' siren in South Liverpool?

As most people have noted that this siren is more audible in south Liverpool.

It is the emergency siren for the oil refinery complex around Ellesmere Port.

It used to be tested at 09:00 every morning but for some time now sounded at 08:45 every morning.

I'm pleased that someone has asked this question as I had forgotten about it. I heard it the last time I stayed in Liverpool and wondered why it had sounded. I stay near the Asda supermarket on Smithdown Road and the siren sounded as if it was fairly far away.
    There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post
    As most people have noted that this siren is more audible in south Liverpool.

It used to be tested at 09:00 every morning but for some time now sounded at 08:45 every morning.
    It sounds a lot closer than that from Garston area.

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post

Could it be this one then. Sirens warn over large distances at Stanlow: News from Klaxon Signals

If it is they have a website with sound files you can try out! http://www.klaxonsignals.com/technic...ype=Soundfiles

Unfortunately there is a problem with the Sirens ones and the links don't work.

It sounds as if the mystery has finally been solved. I am always surprised at the distance covered by these sirens.
    There is more power in the open hand than the clenched fist

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    It sounds a lot closer than that from Garston area.
    Look on the map and you will see Ellesmere Port & Stanlow are not that far from Garston - plus there is the open expanse of river for the sound to blow across.

The other item which mentions the installation of the Klaxon sirens in 2006 must correspond to the time when the daily test was changed from 09:00 to 08:45.

In the 60s when I was a youngster there was the siren at 09:00 which my mother used to call the 9 o'clock siren I think she thought there was some connection between that and the 1 o'clock gun.

I was only much, much later that I discovered the 9 oclock siren was at the oil refinery / terminal.

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    Could it be this one then. Sirens warn over large distances at Stanlow: News from Klaxon Signals

If it is they have a website with sound files you can try out! http://www.klaxonsignals.com/technic...ype=Soundfiles

Mini mono p in miscellaneous section sounds a bit like 'The 9 o'clock buzzer'.
    I've heard this for over 30 yrs. My nan used to refer to it as 'The 9 o'clock buzzer.'She told me that it had been going for years and that was back in the 70's.

Helen
    Last edited by chrismarsden; 11-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post

They have just replied to say they have fixed the sound file links. I still can't get them all working though and the ones that do don't sound like the siren to me. So perhaps its still open to debate?

I've just put myself through listening to about two thirds of those tones... Can't say the ones I listened to sound like the 8.45 am siren. I've given up and need a lie down

See if it something like this.Northamptonshire Police - Page Not Found

Quote Originally Posted by edwardo View Post

That's the bugger! Though not quite as deep maybe?!

thanks, irishseashipping.com. I think we're close to the answer. Stanlow / Ellesmere Port seems reasonable, though this site claims it's at Eastham Lock

matthewarnold

Default air raid siren

it comes from eastham _ if you look across the mersey from otterspool prom you can see eastham country park and 2 pubs _ the siren is in a brick hut and at present goes off around 8.47 am every morning .hope that helps you !

thanks, mathewarnold! I'm going to have to get up and stand next to that hut one morning...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast