Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Air raid' siren in South Liverpool?

Default 'Air raid' siren in South Liverpool?

There's a siren that sounds at 8.45am (every day - Sunday, bank holidays, Christms day.. the lot) in south Liverpool and it's driving me nuts trying to find out where it comes form. I've been told it could be Garston Tannery but that could be too far away but not impossilel with the wind in the right direction etc.

PLEASE does anybody know where it come from!

Sorry, I havn't heard about this before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty J View Post
    There's a siren that sounds at 8.45am (every day - Sunday, bank holidays, Christms day.. the lot) in south Liverpool and it's driving me nuts trying to find out where it comes form. I've been told it could be Garston Tannery but that could be too far away but not impossilel with the wind in the right direction etc.

PLEASE does anybody know where it come from!
    Embrace the air-raid siren, i've lived with it all my life and its never punctual, sometimes 9am, sometimes 9.05am...

A warm welcome
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks for the reply. I've looked in books, serched the net and asked all the more 'senior' people I know and all have drawn a blank.

It's comforting to hear every morning but as I said it's driving me nuts trying to find out whatthe hell it is.

Ta again

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Embrace the air-raid siren, i've lived with it all my life and its never punctual, sometimes 9am, sometimes 9.05am...

A warm welcome
    Where's it coming from, Kev?
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

I was out at Otterspool a while ago and it sounded like it came from over the water somewhere, but that could have just been the sound carrying around on the wind or something. I've always wanted to find out its origin too
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Kev, I knew you'd know the answer - you're quite a historian on the quite aren't you!

It used to be punctual at 9am every day and as time has gone by slipped to 8.45 am. That made me think it was something old that was timed and had lost time over the years

Where is it and why does it still sound?

Hiya AJ.

This comes from Garston somewhere - I have lived here all my life and don't know where it comes from or why - like you say - it has gone from 9.00 to 8.45 over the years. Someone must set it off because it is never right to the minute but always around then. I have asked before on another thread if anyone knew. I just know I used to run to school when I heard it - but now my kids know they have got another 15 mins!!

Does it make Garston people angry?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

No - we're just angry

When I lived in Garston, it used to be the "bobbin Works Hooter"!!!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, just goes to show how long it's been going for (no disrespect NormNZ) and that my original guess of it coming from Garston isn't too far off. Garston Tannery was along the river I seem to remember and kind of in a bay along from Otterspool. So maybe it would sound as if it came from across the river.

Was there an actual bobbin factory, would there be a need for it in that location? Are there other kinds apart from those used for sewing? Maybe... sewing hides together? Absolutly pure speculation.

Default Re: Siren\Bobbin Works etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunty J View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, just goes to show how long it's been going for (no disrespect NormNZ) and that my original guess of it coming from Garston isn't too far off. Garston Tannery was along the river I seem to remember and kind of in a bay along from Otterspool. So maybe it would sound as if it came from across the river.

Was there an actual bobbin factory, would there be a need for it in that location? Are there other kinds apart from those used for sewing? Maybe... sewing hides together? Absolutly pure speculation.
    "Guess I'm giving my age away"! No offence taken! and I've just had a thought! If the siren is from over the river, as Kev states, what about the 'Oil Refinery at Ellsmere Port' could be one of theirs. and 'Yes', the Bobbin Works is well known to all Garstonians, and remember! Lancashire was once a great cotton and woollen Mill area, the 'bobbins' were quite large wooden objects of various sizes. kids used them as toys in my younger days!!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    "Guess I'm giving my age away"! No offence taken! and I've just had a thought! If the siren is from over the river, as Kev states, what about the 'Oil Refinery at Ellsmere Port' could be one of theirs. and 'Yes', the Bobbin Works is well known to all Garstonians, and remember! Lancashire was once a great cotton and woollen Mill area, the 'bobbins' were quite large wooden objects of various sizes. kids used them as toys in my younger days!!
    Wasn't it called "Diabolo"?
    You'd roll it along a skipping rope & throw it up & catch it with the rope?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast