Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you know about your MP

Default What do you know about your MP

Every four years or so we are asked to vote for a person that we know very little about. Whether it be his/her personality, lifestyle, honesty or voting patterns in the House of Commons. We are asked to put our trust in someone, man or woman, who is supposed to act in our best interests. But on many occasions fall down on that commitment.
    Your MP is someone who would, and in fact has done, take us into a war without any consultation or consideration of our opinion should we oppose his view.
    An MP is perceived to make pledges to the people who voted for him/her but forgets to uphold them when he/she secures the majority vote and takes office.
    As recent adverse newspaper reports reveal, MPs are more than likely to discard the problems of the electorate and look after themselves as the recent expenses scandal has shown.

The purpose of this thread is to test the average voter's knowledge of their MP and see if they're satisfied with his/her performance. Your vote is extremely important and you should consider if the individual who is asking for it, is worthy of it.
    I'll start with mine: George Howarth. Some of this info is from personal knowledge and some is from the website: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mps/

Background:
    Lived in Knowsley and was educated locally. Spent many years on Knowsley Borough Council and held several chair positions.
    Sought the vacant position of MP when the local Labour Party booted out Robet Kilroy-Silk. Aided and abetted by his father-in-law George Rogers, who was Librarian in Walworth Road, Labour Party Hdqrs. George Rogers campaigned directly for Howarth to Neil Kinnock and as a result of that meeting George Howarth was imposed over the wishes of the local Labour Party. Howarth had the support of ONE Labour party branch and the other person in contention for the seat was Les Huckfield, who had the support of the other branches, about SEVEN
    Performance:
    Since being elected to the House 1986, George Howarth has had less than moderate success. One would think that after 24yrs in office he would have stamped his mark on one major issue. Alas there's no evidence he's achieved very much. In fact the only thing George has been successful at is looking after Number One.
    His expenses are high. Staffing costs-£99,655 (2010) He employs his wife and his son at the expense of the taxpayer and as Parliamentary adviser to the William Hill Organisation he gets an additional (£25,001-£30,000) per annum on top of his MPs salary.
    Got star billing in the Telegraph's: Most Ludicrous expense claim. For an antique Chest of Drawers; Cost £1,000. Reason for purchase; To go with his antique Wardrobe.

So is my Labour MP worthy of my support? I don't think so.

Blog Entries

My MP is the well known TV star; Ms Abbot.

In the last twenty years or so we have crossed paths (literally) each time she has cringed. I do not take that personally, it was probably the shock of being recognised.
    She lives in two worlds; she takes the labour vote, but seldom the whip. Yet a vote for her is a vote for Gordon and the rest. So, no. Not Labour for me.

Blog Entries

Oops, we have crossed paths three times.

Pennylane

Since i live in Formby , i don't even know my neighbours , let alone my MP !

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    I can inform you that your MP is the SECOND MOST EXPENSIVE one out of the lot of them. (Though to be fair, I gather she is also one of the harder working ones).

Blog Entries

This link shows the results for the 2005 election. It might help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2...html/map05.stm

I believe Claire Curtis-Thomas is the name - those hyphens never come cheap!

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    I believe Claire Curtis-Thomas is the name - those hyphens never come cheap!
    Oh i know of her yes , we never hear of her until election time though !

Just been checking out what this public servant has been charging us for her services: she claimed £165,621 expenses last year, which is £20,000 pounds above the average figure for all MPs. Now I would have thought that £20,000 rather a lot, even if that had been the total amount - but to think that's just the OVERspend!!!

They are all in it for themselves they all **** in the same pot...but i never miss a vote im a working class hero

Mossy
    You Can Lead a Horse To Water But You Cant Make Him Drink

Didn't you receive any of her letters? She must have sent a helluva lot! According to Wikipedia,
    "In 2003/2004, she had the highest expenses of any politician in Parliament, and was second highest in 2002/2003. For instance, she records very high postage bills."

Rosie Cooper. An expensive go between when corresponding with me and the DWP over my private pension. I was told it was being put back and when I complained to the ombudsman that it was tantamount to a miss sell and that I had this money earmarked right from when I took it out, I was told by Sir blooddy someone or other that my pension wasn't for me to use as I liked. I remarked on my last letter to him (via RC) that I bet Sir Freddy Goodwin got to use his inflated fat cat pension for whatever he liked but got no reply.

Guess what. Now they want my vote, I got a letter off RC saying she knows how pensions are close to my heart so to vote for them as they do the most in that field.

Yeah right - they can fcuk off.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
    They are all in it for themselves they all **** in the same pot...but i never miss a vote im a working class hero

Mossy
    What's the point? Isn't it time for change? - And I DON'T mean Cameron! Or even Clegg, though he does seem to have SOME quite radical ideas...

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Didn't you receive any of her letters? She must have sent a helluva lot! According to Wikipedia,
    "In 2003/2004, she had the highest expenses of any politician in Parliament, and was second highest in 2002/2003. For instance, she records very high postage bills."
    If i have , they'll be in the bin , along with the betterwear catalouge , and all the rest of the junk mail i get !

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Rosie Cooper. An expensive go between when corresponding with me and the DWP over my private pension. I was told it was being put back and when I complained to the ombudsman that it was tantamount to a miss sell and that I had this money earmarked right from when I took it out, I was told by Sir blooddy someone or other that my pension wasn't for me to use as I liked. I remarked on my last letter to him (via RC) that I bet Sir Freddy Goodwin got to use his inflated fat cat pension for whatever he liked but got no reply.

Guess what. Now they want my vote, I got a letter off RC saying she knows how pensions are close to my heart so to vote for them as they do the most in that field.

htmlYeah right - they can fcuk off.
    Yeah right indeed! She's another one with very hgh expenses - and other even more dodgy uses for our money.

See:
    http//www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5390009/MPs-expenses-Rosie-Coopers-915-for-abandoned-flat-deal-as-claims-taken-to-wire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast