Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Derby Road Information Needed

Default West Derby Road Information Needed

I got an email ( extract below ) for help on reasearch of property on West Derby Rd.
    Any pics / Info would be gratefully received, Martin.

"Hi Having read the items regarding the history of Green Lane I wonder if you may be able to assist me in finding out the history of the Building at 593-7 West Derby Road Tuebrook.
    We presently run the store and Post Office ther and I have tried to find out the history of the actual building. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any history relating to it at all. We previously ran the
    Post Offices in Green Lane and the Lower Breck Road Post office, next to the Newsham Park hotel, since the early eihgties and took over the property at 593-7 West Derby Rd about five years ago.
    Prior to the building being renovated it used to be FADS wallpaper shop, with the Elizabethan rooms above, and we are interested in what the history of the building was prior to that. The reason that
    I mention Derby Hall, is that when we first moved in and were checking our post code 593-7 was not listed as such but was listed as Derby Hall.
    Asking around some of the older customers mention that at one time it used to be a Billiard Hall, a cellar cafe, and initially was built as a theartre but I have not been able to find any mention of these in searches. The theatre idea would seem to be bourne out by the size of the skylight windows that were in the roof, but again if this had been so then I would have thought that this would have been recorded and available to searches on the web.
    Any information that you have would be appreciated as I would love to know the complete history of the building, since it was clearly the center piece of that block between Osborne Road and Victoria
    Road, Hope that you can help, Thanks John Cook, Tuebrook Post Office. L13 8AE"

Can anyone help ?
    Thanks, Martin

Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Blog Entries

I've just had a memento of my trip to the last meet - a speeding ticket for West Derby Road. I was doing 38 thinking the limit was 40. My own lack of attention is the problem, but getting three points, and the fine, is frustrating as I'm usually very careful.

Quentin_Sharples

Going through the street directories in Central Library will reveal what it was from year to year.
    I haven't got much information on it, but there is a datestone (1875).
    It was a hall - available for hire - over shops.
    Never a theatre.
    A billiard hall in the 1930s, and Ogden Social Club in the 1960s.

Thanks QS, I have told John from there to look in on here, I knew he would get help from fellow Yo'ers, cheers.

Thanks to Martin for posting, have now registered and will check for further replies to the thread. Cheers, John

Welcome aboard John, hopefully you get a lot more info and maybe even a pic in it's heyday

Quentin_Sharples

Welcome John.
    Hopefully people will have memories, but if you want hard facts go to the Record Office in the Central Library, and you will be able to find out who occupied the premises about every two years from when it was built.
    People's memories are great, but myths (like theatres, in this case) become accepted as facts.

Hi John and welcome,

George

This the shop,John....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	copy.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	301.0 KB 
ID:	15159  

George

I just made a phone call to a woman who moved into tuebrook in the sixties when she got married, apparently before it was the elizabethan rooms it was a dance acadamy?

George

Here's an idea for you John...

Put a notice on various parts of the shop or by where people Q for the post office counter,asking "do you know what this building used to be over the years gone by",this way you'llgetlots of interest and get to know the residents as I know a few who have lived in that vicinity since the 50's

You see, thats why George is brainy
    Good idea George and thanks, Mart

Thanks for the replies and espec. the photo circa 1967. John

There's 15 West Derby Road pics on this page http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=50969832&cr=7 from the 6th line down. Not sure if your block is included but worth a try.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

George

I've taken the Liberty, Ged.

Courstsey of Ged and his LRO

Seems that your shop has been knocked into two.....

1967,by eck...its changed somewhat since then...thought I was looking at some other road
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i259986993_3820_7.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	15206  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast