Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orange Parade, London Road 1969

Pennylane

I did'nt say anything about us being Irish , but both sets of my greatgrandparent were IRISH though ! As for us engaging in the Irish troubles , well i blame the Orange order for that one , they are carrying on some age old tradition that belonged to William of Orange and the battle of the Boyne , and they rubbed our faces in it on a weekly basis , i was too young to understand it all until i got older .. As for the politics of it all well , i was in Belfast last year visiting a friend , she is studying to be a human rights lawyer , she works with the Lawyer who helped to write up the Good Friday agreement , she told me that you have to live it to even begin to understand the complexities of it all .. But i'll tell you this , as soon as i got into the taxi , the driver kept asking me what part of Belfast did Grace come from , the Falls Rd or the Shankill , Grace is protestant , but i told him she just lives by the city centre .. It's still a bone of contention over there , and to me , it has more to do with each generation teaching hatred than it does with politics !

Henry the horse

Quote Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
    Oh no Steve , I worked very hard bringing my kids up to know that creed.. colour.. rich or poor , we are all human beings , and should respect each other .. They can't comprehend religous or racial hatered at all , it has to stop with the kids , it can't be generational .....
    Good for you,Penny.

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the horse View Post
    Good for you,Penny.
    Thank you Henry .

Henry the horse

Thank you Henry .
    No probs,Penny

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by Henry the horse View Post
    No probs,Penny
    x

Blog Entries

It's still a bone of contention over there , and to me , it has more to do with each generation teaching hatred than it does with politics !
    Exactly. I want nothing to do with it. It has no place in Liverpool. Those who want to engage in it should go to Ulster. It is not our problem or concern.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Anyone remember the large graffiti - near the south end of the Dock Road, I think.

A "WE LOVE OUR POPE" slogan got changed to --

"WE LOVE OUR POPEYE" with the addition of a few letters...

It was there for a long time.

Graffiti on the long wall at Netherfield Road - the hotbed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The lodge marching along Nethy in the 50s.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Here's another thread on the lodge here.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...t=orange+lodge

The funny thing was, when searching for it, one of the threads that showed up was about sunbed parlours ha ha.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Exactly. I want nothing to do with it. It has no place in Liverpool. Those who want to engage in it should go to Ulster. It is not our problem or concern.
    Here here

Oh no Steve , I worked very hard bringing my kids up to know that creed.. colour.. rich or poor , we are all human beings , and should respect each other .. They can't comprehend religous or racial hatered at all , it has to stop with the kids , it can't be generational .....
    That's to be admired,But someone still has to go around scrubbing the fresh graffiti off,in Shaw st.recently, and I was told about more,up Garston/Speke way!?! So some would like it to continue/resume,unfortunately, but most of us, have well gone past that type of predjudice!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

If only that was taught more often to the children of today. Do you think it is ? I

Pennylane

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaZappathing View Post
    If only that was taught more often to the children of today. Do you think it is ? I
    Unfortunatley NO Zapp , if there was , there would be a lot more tolerence around .. I was helping my friend with her outfit one day , she was the 'Queen' in the Lodge , and she looked beautiful in my eyes , i'll never forget the hiding i got for that one , i was helping her down the stairs in our tenements , we were only kids .. I don't know how to say this , but the protestant Mums seemed more tolerent and kind than our Catholic Mums ... Yikes !! I best run nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I have no time for this Irish organisation, the Orange Order, in any way shape or form. They are based on hate - they hate Catholics. It is working class. The educated, intelligent, middles cases of Liverpool wanted nothing to do with them, and they never operated in middle class districts.

I have no time for people who hate others, be they Catholic, Muslim, or whatever.

Big business in Liverpool silently encouraged it to keep the working class split - divide and rule.

If an organisation decided to march in the streets who hated Muslims and shouted obscenities outside mosques they would be banned from marching. So why does this band of Catholic haters, who would shout obscenities when passing Catholic churches and schools be allowed to march?

This Irish outfit has no place in modern Liverpool. If they feel so much about this organisation of hate then they should go to Ulster with the rest of the idiots.

They should not be prominent in our history - only worthy of the odd mention, because they did and do actually embarrassingly exist.
    You do seem very bitter
    So The Orange Order should not be bitter
    yet you can be.
    If you read up on this, you would realise that member of the Royal Family were actualy part of the Orange Order.
    I don't remember any of the guys shouting at Catholic schools or kids as we marched during the 60s
    I was child back then by the way.
    It is about remebering our heritage
    Oh I'm sorry
    English people are not allowed heritage are they.

There are Orange orders throughout the world too:
    Australia, Canada, Ghana, Togo, Nigeria, New Zealand, USA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast