Thread: Crossed the Bar

Default Crossed the Bar

Another Liverpool seaman has made his last trip. Long time big ship man with Cunard, Arthur Knight aka 'Boogie nights' had his ashes committed to the waters of the Mersey on Monday, with a ceremony conducted by former Seaman’s Mission Padre; Bob Evans (author of: A Dog Collar in the Docks). Members of Liverpool Retired Merchant Seafarers were also in attendance with Arthur's family.

Pat Moran: Chairman of LRMS has done well to have arrangements with Mersey Ferries. To facilitate giving deceased seamen their last wish by having their ashes cast upon the river. The skipper of the ferry cut the engines for the duration of the short service and blasted the ship’s horn as a mark of respect for a fellow sailor. When the ferry docked at the landing stage he stood at the top of the gangway and shook hands with all the mourners as they disembarked.
    Well Done to him, a gracious and noble thing to do!

For me John Masefield sums up a sailor’s passing into the next world with a line from his poem; The Word
    And may we find when ended is the page
    Death is but a tavern on our pilgrimage

Oddsocks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthur R.I.P..jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	15132  

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Oddsocks, a fitting departure for an old Sailor and well done to Pat , Bob and the members of the Retired Merchant Seafarers, Also the Captain of the Ferry.
    I sailed with a Bosuns Mate on Cunard`s Parthia in 1961, CALLED KNIGHT was that him???

Blog Entries

It was very moving to hear of the kindness and respect paid as another of our calling has crossed the bar. In these fast moving times we can take comfort in the fact that there are still people who take the time to care.
    BrianD

Thanks to Brian & Brian for your words of appreciation.
    I wouldn't think it was the same lad on the Parthia, cos Arthur was a Waiter.

Mind you he did get spliced would that qualify. (Jeez, they're getting worse)

Oddsocks