Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday matinée, the Gaumont, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yeah its still standing as is the Lamp in the middle.
    Anyone remember the Gents public toilet at the junction of Mere Lane and Robson Street, ? got demolished early 80s.

The owners of the old picture house are renting it out as a mobile phone mast site, not a bad way to earn a living.

The pic on the first page Colin is the Gaumont at Brougham Terrace on West Derby Road. Brought to my attention by somebody. I should have known that it didn't have 2 arches like that. I sheltered under the canopy enough times.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

We come along on a Saturday morning
    greeting every one with a smile tra la la
    Was a Gaumont smiler at the Rialto. Upper Parliament St

George

The pic on the first page Colin is the Gaumont at Brougham Terrace on West Derby Road. Brought to my attention by someone. I should have known that it didn't have 2 arches like that. I sheltered under the canopy enough times.
    Thats not the one by brougham Terrace Ged,Brougham Terrace had a square opening...oh JB there was also Gents Toilets in the middle of the road opposite the cinema on BoughamTerrace as well.

Blog Entries

When I lived in Mozart Street ,off Lodge Lane, our cinema going was spread between the Playhouse at the top of Smithdown Road, The Cameo, further down Smithdown, the Tunnel, opposite Edge Hiil station and the Capitol. There were three of us ,my elder sister Jess ,and my younger sister Bette. That way we could have birthdays every three weeks ,rotating between the cinemas, my elder sister was a genius at shuffling the dates around so that there would be weeks between one of us going on stage to receive the birthday goodies at the Saturday matinees. Remember the sing songs? Great days and good times, we boys would tie the sleeves of our macs around our necks so that the coat became a cloak and we would gallop out of the cinema on our imaginary steeds ,slapping our back sides as we rode the Lodge Lane prairie.Tom Mix and Johnny Mack brown, where are you riding to now?
    BrianD

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Thats not the one by brougham Terrace Ged,Brougham Terrace had a square opening...oh JB there was also Gents Toilets in the middle of the road opposite the cinema on BoughamTerrace as well.
    I can assure you as best I can via my source that it certainly is George. Officially called the Savoy but owned by Gaumont (though never called it)

Like the Derby on Scottie, the ground floor was converted to a car showroom with a large picture window.

Blog Entries

Ged, the photograph clearly has Gaumont branding. The savoy was a Rank cinema and was not owned by Gaumont (see Harold Ackroyd's Picture Palaces - the rather poor exterior photograph does not match either).

I'm sure when the chap who emailed me sees this he will be back in touch. In the meantime, I will state that the late Harold Ackroyd does unfortunately have a number of mistakes in his book, so please never take that publication as gospel.

George

The one off London Road was the Gaumont and then became the snooker hall as Collin pointed out,been for many a game there meself.

Yes, there were a few Gaumonts though and a few owned by Gaumont but called another name (ie The Savoy, Brougham Terrace)

It has already been established that Colin's picture is not of the Gaumont, Camden Street. I was so taken with trying to see if I recognised any of the kids to look properly at the facia and took the title at face value which I shouldn't have.

George

The one I'mon about in the early 60's was situated in between the bank on the corner and Gregsons Well pub ie it was smack bang in the middle.

George

I don't remeber this one so I'm off the beaten track with you and Clin,Ged
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...26tbs%3Disch:1

That's the very one on Colin's pic, heavily altered - apparently?

George

Well Ged,I'm afraid I'm still with Collin about it being in Camden Street as those steps and doors fit in with when I played snooker in the early hours of de morninin the place.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast