Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Hall

PhilipG

Default Domes

I think the central hall is perfect for the new quiggins, much better than the other building it's got so much character.
    Thank you Phil for all that info on the history of the building - would have loved to have been to the old cinema!!
    I am in the process of putting an application together to do a multimedia performance in one of the units at Grand Central and think it would be great to get hold of some of the old movies that were shown at the cinema.

Blog Entries

^^Welcome to the forum^^
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A new member.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by katy-anne View Post
    I think the central hall is perfect for the new quiggins, much better than the other building it's got so much character.
    Thank you Phil for all that info on the history of the building - would have loved to have been to the old cinema!!
    I am in the process of putting an application together to do a multimedia performance in one of the units at Grand Central and think it would be great to get hold of some of the old movies that were shown at the cinema.
    Welcome katy-anne.
    There's a chance that the films were advertised in the local press at the time.
    The Record Office at Central Library have the newspapers on microfilm.
    There is still a projection room at Central Hall, and it might still be possible to show films (but the projectors are no longer there).
    I was in the building on an Open Day in 2004, but my camera was terminally sick that day, and I've only got a couple of grainy B&W shots.

Didn't they also have punk / metal / hardcore gigs there at one point in the early 90s?

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    Didn't they also have punk / metal / hardcore gigs there at one point in the early 90s?
    I don't know, but The Comedy Club was there before they moved to the Royal Court.
    The Royal Court was (& is) a music venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhemp View Post
    Yes they dd, I think the Cro Mags and a few others played there

I seem to remember a 'Dole'/Unemployment Office being in Central Hall at some time in the 1950s.
    Can anyone confirm that ?

Phredd

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    I seem to remember a 'Dole'/Unemployment Office being in Central Hall at some time in the 1950s.
    Can anyone confirm that ?

Phredd
    There was a Dole phredd at the Top end of Upper Newington Street Behind Central Hall near Mt Pleasant in the Late 60's early 70's.How long it was there before that though I haven't got a Clue..

PhilipG

The Dole was in Renshaw Hall in Benson Street.
    Previously it was in that Edwardian building in Leece Street, where the hoardings now are.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The Dole was in Renshaw Hall in Benson Street.
    Previously it was in that Edwardian building in Leece Street, where the hoardings now are.
    Appologies Phil,The Dole was in Benson Street and the entrance was at the Top (Renshaw Hall) when I left School and signed on there in 1972/73..
    Last edited by Gerard; 02-09-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Smile Grand Central Hall - Alternative Culture Shopping Centre

Yes, Grand Central Hall now is host to some of the traders who moved from Quiggins after its closure mid-2006, however since then many new shops have opened.

Forgetting about the alternative culture side of things, the one fantastic thing this has meant is that the place is open to the public once more bringing many people in through the doors ona daily basis.

The metalwork designs on the ground floor won an award and the domed ceiling in Roscoe Hall on the first floor is quite impressive too - as is the Organ which I believe is a listed item.
    Okay, it is slightly obscured due to the shops being erected inside the hall, but it is still there.

Using existing buildings filled with architecture and steeped in history in this way should be the way forward - not just demolition and building soul-less steel blocks. (Anyone want to develop the Futurist?????)

The amount of money being poured into wiping Liverpool's rich architectural heritage off the face of the city (with this I mean the older warehouse buildings) will make Liverpool like any other major urban area.
    It is a shame.

Long Live Grand Central Hall - http://www.grandcentralhall.com

Default Central Hall is NOT Quiggins!

Just thought I'd let you know.

Central Hall isn't anything to do with Quiggins, or the people who run Quiggins.

Quiggins is still alive on a much smaller scale, for the time being. Check out the Official Website and read the history of Quiggins, below:-

Quiggins Website

Mikey

Default Central Hall

The basement at Central Hall used to be a music studio where bands and choirs would rehearse; it was a bit dank and dark but the music was great! Also, during the miner's strike I went with an ardent communist to a fundraiser. Every time I walk past I still think it's the apartment block from "Ghostbusters"!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast